PDA

View Full Version : 97 M3 Vs 05 Gti

BDurham
03-19-2008, 04:46 PM
So this kid I use to work with just got a 05 Gti it's a 5-speed 1.8l Turbo. He is CONVINCED his car would "smoke" my 5-speed e36. He's really starting to annoy me with all the garbage he is talking. I'm almost tempted to race him now since he keeps yelling "LET'S SETTLE THIS THEN" but I'm smarter than to risk getting a ticket or even wrecking my car and hurting myself so I'm kindly declining and just walking away. (another reason is he just got the car a few months ago and I wouldn't feel safe going alongside an inexperienced driver)

So my question is, does this scrubs car really stand a chance? Both cars are completely stock.

Thanks for any input guys:thumbup:

filamqc
03-19-2008, 07:47 PM
As long as that VW is 100% stock, then you should beat him. '05 Gti manual w/ the 1.8 Turbo is supposed to do 0-60mph at 6.5 secs and the 1/4 in 15.1 secs. Your '97 M3 does it at 5.7 and 14.3 respectively... so don't waste your time, but if you do race - take it to your local 1/4 track.

jconm3
04-08-2008, 08:38 AM
gti suck whoop his ass hahahaha just kiddin, but seriously you will win

WRXEATR
04-09-2008, 02:57 PM
When I look at performance, I look at Weight:HP ratio. It's that simple. Here's an example:

A car that weighs 4000lbs that is being moved by 350 HP Yields ~11 Lbs./1 HP. Respectively, this means every 1 HP has to accelerate 11 lbs. In our ///M3's the weight is probably around 3000 lbs, depending on what you have gutted, which options you have, etc.

The 2005 GTI has a claimed curb weight of 3101 lbs. The engine puts out a claimed 180HP.
3101/180 = 17lbs./ 1HP. Referring to above, this means the GTI needs to move a whopping 17 lbs with each of its 180 horses.

The 1997 ///M3 (mine as an example) Has a claimed curb weight of 3175 lbs. The engine puts out a claimed 240 HP.

3175/240 = 13lbs/1HP.

Now lets get down to some physics, and the laws of mass in motion.

More mass requires more energy to get it moving. 13lbs will get to 60 MPH WAY before 17lbs will, if the same amount of force was used to accelerate each.

If the car was driven by a computer operated clutch like the M3 CSL, (to eliminate the uncontrollable variable of drivers skill when shifting) and both cars were completely stock, the ///M3 wins. Proven through simple mathematics.

:beerchug:

BDurham
04-11-2008, 10:42 PM
^I got a C in Physics back in high school so I will just take your word for it there Lol.

But thanks for the input guys, kids been bugging me even more lately. I may have to shut him up soon

e36m34life
04-12-2008, 06:14 AM
Unless you are a complete n00b and you shift at 4K rpms, you will absolutely no doubtedly beat him. But please, if your un-experienced and your not confident in your shifting, PLEASE dont race him, you will embarass yourself and put a bad name on the E36 M3 communtiy because he will go to his VW forum or whatever and say he beat you, or even if he lost by just a half car or something.

Oh, and be smart, make sure the roads are 100% dry, and no one is around. Something tells me E36 M3s are NOT that quick totalled, but I could be wrong. :)

BDurham
04-13-2008, 06:18 PM
Unless you are a complete n00b and you shift at 4K rpms, you will absolutely no doubtedly beat him. But please, if your un-experienced and your not confident in your shifting, PLEASE dont race him, you will embarass yourself and put a bad name on the E36 M3 communtiy because he will go to his VW forum or whatever and say he beat you, or even if he lost by just a half car or something.

Oh, and be smart, make sure the roads are 100% dry, and no one is around. Something tells me E36 M3s are NOT that quick totalled, but I could be wrong. :)

Lol I'll admit I am young and probably wouldn't be the greatest driver to pick to represent the e36 community, but I know I could pull it off and beat him (I know he's a bigger n00b then me, young kid, taught himself to drive stick about 3 months ago) But no worries, I'm not risking anything, I won't race him.

laughac
04-15-2008, 05:31 AM
Let him enjoy his GTI fantasy. It is a pretty cool car if you like front wheel drive German cars that mimmick ricers. Could be handy in the snow.

Hand him a printed copy of this page when he is ready for reality. If he is never ready then so be it.

An afternoon at the track would educate him a little more about cars, but he may still have some life lessons to learn about talking smack.

ffej
04-15-2008, 07:33 AM
I'm with the guys that say take it to the track. There aren't too many places around the bay where you can run a dragstrip, but you need to find one.

Oh, and the M3 will beat the GTI, unless there has been some tuning done to the VW.

simon325e
04-21-2008, 11:33 AM
FWD cars can't launch as well so that will be a noob mistake.

On the other hand, the power arguement doesn't consider the whole picture- just peak hp. The 1.8T makes lots of torque off the line.

If you take a step back form the situation, though, it is not worth it to race him. If everything goes well and safely, he will lose, but then bother you with excuses and other crap. Better off to ignore him and wait for his car to break AND crash. (both are near certainties given his age and VW reliability.)

E36 M3 FTW!