PDA

View Full Version : Bimmerfest-- Newbie question

Stevej2001
03-19-2008, 07:40 PM
Please don't flame me-- I'm not a troll here. I'm a new, first time BMW owner who doesn't live too far from to Santa Barbara, and I'm wondering if this 'Bimmerfest' thing is of interest to me.

You see I'm a middle aged guy who is enjoying the driving experience, but I have absolutely no interest in taking this or any other car to the track.. as a racer. I like to watch auto racing -- heck , I grew up in Indianapolis.

Nonetheless, I don't want to race, and since my car is leased, any modifications are pretty much out. I admit that seeing all those BMWs in one place could be interesting, but enough to drive about 500 miles round trip?

In other words, what, if anything, does this event have to offer a middle aged, uncool guy like me?

ZDon
03-19-2008, 10:39 PM
Please don't flame me-- I'm not a troll here. I'm a new, first time BMW owner who doesn't live too far from to Santa Barbara, and I'm wondering if this 'Bimmerfest' thing is of interest to me.

You see I'm a middle aged guy who is enjoying the driving experience, but I have absolutely no interest in taking this or any other car to the track.. as a racer. I like to watch auto racing -- heck , I grew up in Indianapolis.

Nonetheless, I don't want to race, and since my car is leased, any modifications are pretty much out. I admit that seeing all those BMWs in one place could be interesting, but enough to drive about 500 miles round trip?

In other words, what, if anything, does this event have to offer a middle aged, uncool guy like me?

It's a car show... No racing. And yes, there are a lot of us middle agers. You'll see 18 year olds to 70 year olds. Large event, but 500 miles is short stretch of the legs... It's up to you. Santa Barbara is spectacular this time of the year. Spend the week!

Steve in SB
03-19-2008, 10:49 PM
Welcome to the world of BMW's, you made a good choice. There is something for everyone at Bimmerfest. There are definitely multiple car cultures present at Bimmerfest. But they are all BMW "Car Crazy" and thoroughly enjoying themselves.

I am probably older than you are, and still own my first BMW (1976 2002). I am already looking forward to the event. You will see babies there, as well as people in their 80s. There are wild and crazy young people (sometime a little too enthusiastic), and fussy old farts (still young at heart).

Connect up with a caravan, and the drive will seem very short. I live in SB and actually drive an hour north or south to join the fun of the caravans and come back in with them. Santa Barbara offers a lot if you bring family, it can be a fun weekend.

You are welcome to spend your whole day "Hanging" with us classic BMW guys, Young and old.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y173/alamarlab/Bimmerfest%202007/bimmerfest07015.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y173/alamarlab/Bimmerfest%202007/bimmerfest07007.jpg
Plan on coming, I am sure you won't regret it.

Ed103
03-20-2008, 01:20 AM
You should go. Join up with one of the caravans and make a day of it-A day of bimmer greatness!

Jayccel
03-21-2008, 12:49 PM
I'm a middle-aged guy myself, although I don't act like it. This will be my first time to Bimmerfest, too. No age discrimination with Bimmerfest.

Keith
03-22-2008, 08:51 PM
but enough to drive about 500 miles round trip?

Where are coming from that's a 500 mile RT, our caravan is coming from the Bay Area and the Washington, Oregon and a few Canadiens will be joing us like they always do. :thumbup:

Dave 330i
03-22-2008, 10:55 PM

Go ahead. There are features for everybody, including a to be 60 year old guy like me. Extend yourself to meet the other old farts. I won't make it this year only because I have to complete my planning for a EU trip, but I've attended everyone since 2001.