PDA

View Full Version : Official Los Angeles 2008 Bimmerfest Caravan

Ed103
03-21-2008, 06:30 PM
Alright everyone, here's the info for the Los Angeles contingent of the So Cal caravan!

To view or print this info as a pdf, click here (http://turquoisetitmouse.com/lacaravan.pdf).

-General Information-

The Los Angeles portion of the caravan will meet in the parking lot behind Ross, located at:

13750 Riverside Dr.
Sherman Oaks, CA 91423

at 6:30 a.m., May 3, 2008, the morning of Bimmerfest. We will leave at approximately 7:00 a.m., when the San Diego and Orange County portions of the caravan will be merging onto the 101, from the 405. A representative from the Southern caravan will contact us at a set distance from the merger, at which point we will get on the 101, drive the two miles to the 405 and the two caravans will merge together, becoming one huge, BMW entity. This is the goal, of course you never know what might happen. Regardless, we will all work towards making this a safe, unforgettable experience.

With that in mind, there are things that the organizers encourage and others that are notů

Please be on time- The caravan will consist of hundreds of enthusiasts and unfortunately cannot wait for people running late. If you live far away, please come early and plan ahead in case of traffic.

Obey all traffic laws- We cannot and do not advocate the running of traffic lights, stop signs and any other posted traffic laws. This includes the speed limit. With this many cars together (many of which modified) we may draw the attention of the police. What we are doing is not illegal, but we do not want anyone stopped by the police.

Do not race and/or draw undue attention towards yourself- This includes aggressive take-offs at stops and any other behavior that is dangerous or illegal.

Have fun and thanks for participating! For those curious, both Mapquest and Google Maps were used for these directions.

-Arrival-

http://turquoisetitmouse.com/arrival.jpg (http://turquoisetitmouse.com/arrival.jpg)

From East
101 North
Exit Woodman Ave.
Right turn onto Woodman Ave,

From South
405 North
Merge onto 101 South
Exit Woodman Ave.
Left turn onto Woodman Ave.

From West
101 South
Exit Woodman Ave.
Left turn onto Woodman Ave.

From North
405 South
Merge onto 101 South
Exit Woodman Ave.
Left onto Woodman Ave.

All Directions
Left at first intersection onto Riverside Dr.
Left at break in divider into parking lot
Head straight past Ross and Westfield Shopping Center Parking Lot
Left turn into parking lot behind Ross (Watch speedbump)

-Departure-

http://turquoisetitmouse.com/depart.jpg (http://turquoisetitmouse.com/depart.jpg)

When we receive the call from the Southern group, cars will leave from both sides of the parking lot.

Those closer to Woodman Ave.-
Make a right at the Eastern driveway
Right at signal onto ramp to 101

Those at the other side of the parking lot-
Using the driveway that you entered, make a right onto Riverside Dr.
Right at signal onto Woodman Ave.
Right at signal onto ramp to 101

Once on the 101 the rest of the caravan will merge together via the 101/405 merger and will continue on to Santa Barbara.

To view or print this info as a pdf, click here (http://turquoisetitmouse.com/lacaravan.pdf).

This caravan is not sponsored by BMW, tehdriven.com, bimmerfest.com or its sponsors. The organizers accept no responsibility for participants or their actions. Keep this in mind while always using your best judgment and acting responsibly.

Ed103
03-21-2008, 06:32 PM
Information for caravans leaving from Orange County and the Inland Empire will be posted shortly.

It would greatly help if a moderator could sticky this thread.

WarpDriveKid
03-21-2008, 11:32 PM
Cool look forward to the Inland Empire Info. :-)

finkle
03-26-2008, 01:20 PM
That should be a pretty good spot. There isn't a stop light to divide people getting onto the freeway like last year. The only competition for the on ramp will be the people turning left onto the freeway from Woodman on the south side of 101, which shouldn't be many at 7am.

I suggest bringing walkie talkies. We can coordinate and use words like "convoy", "ten-four", and "good buddy". Maybe I'll buy that OEM CB radio I've had my eye on :confused:

Ed103
04-08-2008, 07:58 PM
Less than a month away!

SL Blak Soldier
04-09-2008, 07:43 PM
Love the subtle touch of ///m colors. haha

Ed103
04-10-2008, 11:44 AM
Love the subtle touch of ///m colors. haha

Hey, thanks for noticing! The love is in the details.

LeftCoastBias
04-13-2008, 12:32 PM
ed,

let me know when you get the rest of the info up. i'll combine it all and put it on the TDF caravan website; along with registration fields.

i see that the inland empire guys have gotten together a mini-caravan; we should include theirs to meet up at the LA point.

thank you for taking the lead on this in my absence this year. just let me know what your final plans are, and i'll get them up on the sign-up page for you.

thanks!

Ed103
04-13-2008, 08:25 PM
ed,

let me know when you get the rest of the info up. i'll combine it all and put it on the TDF caravan website; along with registration fields.

i see that the inland empire guys have gotten together a mini-caravan; we should include theirs to meet up at the LA point.

thank you for taking the lead on this in my absence this year. just let me know what your final plans are, and i'll get them up on the sign-up page for you.

thanks!

Huh?

Zeddy4Me
04-13-2008, 11:09 PM
Bring Walkie Talkie's... gonna need it!

LeftCoastBias
04-14-2008, 08:19 AM
Huh?
Information for caravans leaving from Orange County and the Inland Empire will be posted shortly.

It would greatly help if a moderator could sticky this thread.

once you get the OC and IE and SD info up, i'll put it all together on TDF for you.

Ed103
04-14-2008, 12:02 PM
I believe Harley cleared everything up already. But for all the people not involved in the organizing of the caravans:

I posted the LA info awhile back, and everything is still going as planned.

The Orange County contingent is being headed up by RaDs330 and the info is here (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=276494).

The Inland Empire cars are being organized by smilez and he's posted the info here (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=276905).

The San Diego caravan should meet at the same place as last year, from what I've heard.

To sum up our overall plans, San Diego will meet and head towards Orange County. Simultaneously, Inland Empire will meet and head towards Orange County. Then the three will become one and head north, at which point Los Angeles will merge with them at the 405/101 merger.

I know if you're following the threads, it looks chaotic, like we're not talking to each other, but things are pretty much set. The main thing is to show up at your respective meet point, and let us take care of the rest.

Again to be clear, Los Angeles, Orange County and Inland Empire are set. If you have questions, check your specific area's thread and contact your leader. We're here to help.

HARLEYM3
04-14-2008, 12:12 PM
couldnt of put it better myself ^^

RaDs330
04-14-2008, 04:36 PM
Nicely said ED103

smilez
04-15-2008, 02:45 PM
yes mine is set too.

so update the other website please.

MalibuMafiaV
04-15-2008, 03:40 PM
I'll be coming from Malibu with a few other people in there BMW's behind me we plan on merging onto the 101 with you guys at about 7:30ish hopefully will be right on time:)

nico335
04-15-2008, 03:56 PM
would it be easier if the OC and SD caravans meet up with the LA caravan in the parking lot? instead of trying to "catch" each other on the freeway?

RaDs330
04-15-2008, 04:10 PM
would it be easier if the OC and SD caravans meet up with the LA caravan in the parking lot? instead of trying to "catch" each other on the freeway?

theres a post of the set caravans and how we meet

Ed103
04-15-2008, 06:20 PM

This was a big concern early on in the planning stages, and it goes by two different problems:

1.) If all the OC, SD and IE cars have to pull off and meet us in the parking lot, that will be quite a hassle. We're talking a few hundred cars pulling off and stopping in the lot. The offramp, streets and lot will be crazy. Then we'd have to get them back on the freeway along with all the LA cars.

OR

2.) We coordinate the driving of the first caravan with the LA group, and get them together on the freeway. With the main caravan being a couple hundred cars, we have some time, and through the use of cell phones, instant notification.

We've decided to go with the latter option.

As I said before, this is gonna be quite an undertaking either way, but regardless of what happens, you'll be among a lot of fellow BMW enthusiasts heading towards the biggest gathering of Bimmers on the coast (possibly the country?)

It'll be a fun adventure.

Pahipo
04-15-2008, 07:42 PM
This was a big concern early on in the planning stages, and it goes by two different problems:

1.) If all the OC, SD and IE cars have to pull off and meet us in the parking lot, that will be quite a hassle. We're talking a few hundred cars pulling off and stopping in the lot. The offramp, streets and lot will be crazy. Then we'd have to get them back on the freeway along with all the LA cars.

OR

2.) We coordinate the driving of the first caravan with the LA group, and get them together on the freeway. With the main caravan being a couple hundred cars, we have some time, and through the use of cell phones, instant notification.

We've decided to go with the latter option.

As I said before, this is gonna be quite an undertaking either way, but regardless of what happens, you'll be among a lot of fellow BMW enthusiasts heading towards the biggest gathering of Bimmers on the coast (possibly the country?)

It'll be a fun adventure.

Well done! :thumbup: As you said, either way would be chaotic but as long as we keep in mind that we're among fellow BIMMERHEADS and mind our manners, it'll work out. No hurry, let's enjoy the athmosphere and camaraderie...

Patience, patience, patience... we'll get there eventually.

It's gonna be fun!

MalibuMafiaV
04-16-2008, 02:38 PM
Lol I just wana make sure your all on the 101 passing Malibu Canyon by 7:30 could anyone call me when your coming up to it with the caravan? it would be greatly appreciated or maybe like 10minutes before you do so I know where I'm at lol.

RaDs330
04-16-2008, 03:05 PM
Lol I just wana make sure your all on the 101 passing Malibu Canyon by 7:30 could anyone call me when your coming up to it with the caravan? it would be greatly appreciated or maybe like 10minutes before you do so I know where I'm at lol.

throw me your number in a PM, and i'll hit you up...im a find out for sure whats going down.... im heading the OC caravan...:bigpimp:

synenergy52
04-20-2008, 10:21 AM
I'll be there! !!! AWESOME SPOT!

Ed103
04-22-2008, 07:50 AM
11 days left!

jateshk
04-23-2008, 01:41 AM
is the LA caravan still hapening?? Is so will there be any M3's????

Ed103
04-23-2008, 07:54 AM

Indeed it is, sir. Everything that was originally posted is still valid.

As for actual models, we aren't sure. The official sign-up has a lot of M3's, so I'm sure the caravan will have a good representation from the M family.

finkle
04-23-2008, 10:03 AM
Ed103, that's 2 post times in a row from you before 8am! That's either one of three things.. insomnia, obsession, or one crappy work shift :eeps:

tomxe36
04-23-2008, 11:29 PM
CANT ****IN WAIT! We should have bimmerfest flags on our cars...

Ed103
04-24-2008, 07:54 AM
Ed103, that's 2 post times in a row from you before 8am! That's either one of three things.. insomnia, obsession, or one crappy work shift :eeps:

Crappy work shift

RaDs330
04-24-2008, 09:51 AM

:confused:....theres a link posted:thumbup:

bigudibmw
04-24-2008, 11:18 AM
I may go for a Starbucks down the street at 6:15-6:30a.m. if anyone is interested. I'll need my caffeine :)

Ed103
04-24-2008, 11:38 AM
I may go for a Starbucks down the street at 6:15-6:30a.m. if anyone is interested. I'll need my caffeine :)

Euro-style plates?

RaDs330
04-24-2008, 11:39 AM
[QUOTE=slubu;3202594]I may go for a Starbucks down the street at 6:15-6:30a.m. if anyone is interested. I'll need my caffeine :)[/QUOTE

are you meeting the Ikea in Costa Mesa?????????????

shanetoast
04-24-2008, 03:00 PM
I would be down to put on a small decal sticker or some kind of repesentation of me/us going to bimmerfest

CANT ****IN WAIT! We should have bimmerfest flags on our cars...

bigudibmw
04-24-2008, 03:04 PM
Euro-style plates?
Huh?

[QUOTE=slubu;3202594]I may go for a Starbucks down the street at 6:15-6:30a.m. if anyone is interested. I'll need my caffeine :)[/QUOTE

are you meeting the Ikea in Costa Mesa?????????????

No, I'm actually going to be sleeping in Encino the night before, so I'm going to go with the LA caravan.

saadallah
04-24-2008, 03:14 PM
just woundering, how about the ventura crew, we also have a good number of guy that have E30s, so what de we do????

RaDs330
04-24-2008, 03:20 PM
just woundering, how about the ventura crew, we also have a good number of guy that have E30s, so what de we do????

my suggestion would be if you'd like one of the leaders can grab your number and then give you a call when we are coming close to Ventura?? Im leading the OC caravan so let me know what you think

Ed103
04-24-2008, 04:10 PM
Huh?

Your plates don't look like standard California issues.

bigudibmw
04-24-2008, 04:35 PM
Your plates don't look like standard California issues.

Aaahhh.. those pics were from when I took delivery of my car in Munich. I love ED!

Ed103
04-24-2008, 06:42 PM
Aaahhh.. those pics were from when I took delivery of my car in Munich. I love ED!

Ohhhhhh...Authentic Euro plates. Nice...

saadallah
04-24-2008, 09:47 PM
my suggestion would be if you'd like one of the leaders can grab your number and then give you a call when we are coming close to Ventura?? Im leading the OC caravan so let me know what you think

hello, how are you doing? well i will appreciate it, if u could give me a call when ur near by, i will get my guys ready in the morning near the 101 by victoria ave, so when u r close we move along. but let me know approximately what time u will be passing by so i know what time to have our meet up here.
678 4378896, its Atlanta area code, but i moved down here. thanks

Ed103
04-26-2008, 11:22 PM
upsie daisy!

Ed103
04-28-2008, 09:04 AM
Bump.

Less than a week, people! Don't forget: be on time and ready for a fun drive!

smilez
04-28-2008, 12:02 PM
be on time, or be left behind. that should be our motto.

Ed103
04-28-2008, 01:02 PM
be on time, or be left behind. that should be our motto.

I like that.

smilez
04-28-2008, 01:12 PM
hey i couldn't get the vinyl stickers guy lagged it. so you still going to send out those banners you made?

04SSHD
04-28-2008, 04:05 PM
I think I might rendezvous with you guys on the 101 and 23 interchange. It's gonna be hard to time that to be sure to hit that spot the same time ya'll do...

Ed103
04-28-2008, 04:34 PM
hey i couldn't get the vinyl stickers guy lagged it. so you still going to send out those banners you made?

Sure, which one(s) do you want? Get back to me, and I'll try to get them out tonight.

hb arab
04-28-2008, 05:30 PM
hey everyone! bimmerfest is almost here :thumbup:
i was just curious, are we going to have a dedicated channel to run our two-ways on this year (like last year) for communication on the caravan up? if so, what channel are we running?

mace
04-28-2008, 08:37 PM
hey everyone! bimmerfest is almost here :thumbup:
i was just curious, are we going to have a dedicated channel to run our two-ways on this year (like last year) for communication on the caravan up? if so, what channel are we running?

yeap! what he said ... :thumbup:

LeftCoastBias
04-28-2008, 10:12 PM
channel 6-0

hb arab
04-28-2008, 10:27 PM
channel 6-0
peeerrrrrfect. thank you LCB. :)
hope to see you all on saturday! i'll be @ ikea in a stock (unfortunately) black E92 328i that sounds like a DJ booth; if anyone needs some music (mostly electronic), feel free to come and ask! :bigpimp:

Ed103
04-28-2008, 11:41 PM
peeerrrrrfect. thank you LCB. :)
hope to see you all on saturday! i'll be @ ikea in a stock (unfortunately) black E92 328i that sounds like a DJ booth; if anyone needs some music (mostly electronic), feel free to come and ask! :bigpimp:

Keeping it stock isn't so bad. (stock car owner talking)

shanetoast
04-30-2008, 12:52 PM
So if i have a walkie talkie i should just be able to turn the Ch to 6-0 and i should be able to hear everything that is going on... correct?

Ed103
04-30-2008, 07:23 PM
So if i have a walkie talkie i should just be able to turn the Ch to 6-0 and i should be able to hear everything that is going on... correct?

Yes.

EG06X544
05-01-2008, 12:48 AM
Guys, just got my e53 couple weeks ago and live couple of blocks away from the meeting point. Would like to join the caravan, my buddies will be driving up there friday afternoon.
I thought I tag along with you guys.

smilez
05-01-2008, 06:40 AM
KOO---^ see you there.

xli_red_baron02
05-01-2008, 09:28 AM
see you guys in 45 hours

summereskimo
05-01-2008, 09:25 PM
I'm thinking of staying over at my parents house in woodland hills friday night, that way I don't have to wake up so early lol. Does anybody know how I can time the caravan from the DE SOTO entrance? Perhaps just listen over ch 6-0?

97BBProwler
05-02-2008, 12:11 PM
Hey, anybody from the 310 area, Southbay (Torrance, the Beaches, Gardena, etc), would like to meet up and head up to Sherman Oaks as a sublocal group? Anyone interested?

smilez
05-02-2008, 12:18 PM
Hey, anybody from the 310 area, Southbay (Torrance, the Beaches, Gardena, etc), would like to meet up and head up to Sherman Oaks as a sublocal group? Anyone interested?

this thread is for u buddy
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=988208
they will be meeting at that spot then wait for SD/OC and caravan to LA

97BBProwler
05-02-2008, 12:27 PM
this thread is for u buddy
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=988208
they will be meeting at that spot then wait for SD/OC and caravan to LA

Thanks bro, see you there :thumbup:

Ed103
05-02-2008, 01:05 PM
I'm thinking of staying over at my parents house in woodland hills friday night, that way I don't have to wake up so early lol. Does anybody know how I can time the caravan from the DE SOTO entrance? Perhaps just listen over ch 6-0?

De Soto is only five or six miles from the meet at Woodman. You should just meet us there.

summereskimo
05-02-2008, 02:49 PM
Ok, just to confirm, the caravan leaves at 7AM at the Ross Parking lot to sync with the rest on 101/405 intersection, yes?

Ed103
05-02-2008, 04:23 PM
Ok, just to confirm, the caravan leaves at 7AM at the Ross Parking lot to sync with the rest on 101/405 intersection, yes?

That's the plan. But you have to remember that the LA caravan's leave time is dependent on what time the OC caravan leaves from the IKEA lot, and that is dependent on when San Diego gets there, which is all affected by traffic. So we want to leave by 7, but if by a miracle the caravan gets to the 101/405 merger sooner, then we're leaving sooner. And if SD is late and/or OC is late, then we're late.

We're the last group to join, so our start time could fluctuate quite a bit. And at 70 mph, two minutes difference is 2.5 miles. That's quite a distance.

The best thing for you to do is to come to the meet point. It's only a few minutes from where you're at and it will make sure you ride with us. This advice goes to anyone or small group thinking they can just get on the freeway when we pass by. Yeah, it could work, but with a literal margin of a few minutes, you could completely miss us. I don't want that and you don't want that.

I hope to see you all there.

Also, I'll have printouts (125 copies) with directions to Bimmerfest in case anyone needs them.

bigudibmw
05-02-2008, 04:43 PM
Awesome. Thanks ED for taking care of this.

sharkye46
05-02-2008, 05:28 PM
you guys got an address for this ross meet? or a direction? Thanks.

Ed103
05-02-2008, 05:39 PM
you guys got an address for this ross meet? or a direction? Thanks.

Check the first page of this thread for lots of detailed info, maps and directions.

antartis
05-02-2008, 09:01 PM
Less than TEN hours...woohoo! cant wait! See you guys at the Ross Parking lot... I'm stock too(e46 330ci), other than my DDEs.

xli_red_baron02
05-02-2008, 10:44 PM
I'm going to bed see you guys in 7 or so hours

Rach002
05-04-2008, 10:43 AM
a driving buddy. he was in a silver m5 . we were on channel 8 on the radio . we got chased by the CHP. we were suposed tp have a beer when we got there but i accidently changed the channel on my radio.. we never meet face to face. if youre out there hit me up at goner19@aol.com