PDA

View Full Version : whats needed to build boosted m50 motor

spdkilz0
03-22-2008, 10:42 PM
i plain on building my block to handle a good amount of boost. Its a 92 325is 5sp. It will be driven daily and taken to the track on the weekends! I want to know where i could get stronger internals or what internals i could use in place of the stock ones were i wouldnt have to spend a arm and a leg for. or are the stock internals strong enough? also were i could get a better head or if i should just have it sent out rebuilt ported and m3 cams or what cam? Also how much boost is the motor going to be able to handle? Is there any turbo guys on here with the m50 motor ?

I was all so wondering if the car is obd1 ?

If u were going to build a motor for boost how would you set it up and do to make a monster m50 ??? lol

it will be turbo not supercharged just like the idea better and have turbo and the know how there.

bim535mer
04-01-2008, 06:02 PM
eagle rods je pistons you can get them on ebay around $1200

bim535mer
04-01-2008, 06:03 PM
crank i good

HandOfFate
04-02-2008, 09:04 PM
Another problem will be the high compression ratio of the M50. Look into low compression pistons or one of those thick head gaskets.

William Smith
12-21-2008, 06:35 PM
I'm in the same situation as the guy who started this thread. I was thinking of JE pistons, but is it better to get them made to custom specifications, or does anyone reccomend a business that stocks good JE (or other brand) forged pistons for this type of setup?

justlikemusic
01-09-2009, 07:43 AM
I have spent endless upon endless nights in the past year reading about these motors. BMW engines are excellent. They have their crappy flaws, but they arent very bad ones. The M52 pain in the bum is the CCV valve! Vanos... etc, but easy, cheap, fixes.

You can get 350rwhp from a nice 'stock' M52. From there you should concentrate on a good LSD, Clutch, start replacing blown gearboxes and tyres.... let that hit your pocket a bit, then search for more power with more boost. Once your turbo seals screw up, change the turbo for a bigger one, 400rwhp then start thinking maybe about forged internals if you can't drive and mixture control isn't the best. It's big money to get these engines to nice power. Sure, anyone can dial in 500rwhp with a laggy crazy turbo, but how long will that last?

Black-Out
01-09-2009, 11:14 PM
My experiances withe Eagle rods are that they will sustain 500whp before they break.....If thats not enough power for you then you will need to go with Pauter, Bryan Crower, or another company that can produce high power rods (1000hp+) and Arias, Ross, JE, CP pistons all of which can take a serious beating......It just depends on how much power your after, how much you want to spend, and how good your set up and tuners are.

I suggest taking your dollar amount total and then making an itemized list of the things you'll need to boost it properly.......if you end up with an amount higher than you expected then you can adjust from there. Just don't skimp on management and other essentials like fuel supply and charge air cooling. These are the areas that will yield the most reliability and power when your tuner dials it all in.