PDA

View Full Version : No headlights/fuel pump power

fireman steve
03-25-2008, 07:31 PM
Hi all, I am new to the forum, and to BMW's as well. I just got a 1981 320i yesterday and towed it back to my house. I have spent the last two days working on her and I have a couple of questions for those of you who have been wrenchin' on these cars a little longer than I.

I have no headlight power, but hte marker lights work. I also have no power to the fuel pumps. The in-tank pump appears to be dead, as it won't do a thing when hooked up direct to the battery. Can the two power problems be related, or am I looking at two independent issues?

There is power up to the fuel pump relay, and a new relay didn't fix the issue. I have a new fuel pump arriving tomorrow morning, but I fear that it will be for not without power. All fuses look good, I gave them all a twist in place to freshen up the contact points, for good measure.

Also, my blinkers work at all 4 corners no matter left or right engagement on the column. Is there a typical culprit for this?

Thanks in advance, I am very happy to see that there is a forum for these cool little cars.

fireman steve
03-26-2008, 11:45 AM
OK, I solved the light issue, it all stems from a bad hazard light switch. I monkeyed with it and got the headlights to work, but now the blinkers and flashers are dead. Less of two evils? I'll get to that fix later...

I got the new in-tank fuel pump installed and I can hear it humming along as I try to start the motor. I cannot hear the in-line pump though, so I think I will replace it as well just to rule it out. I have fuel up to the injector pump, evidenced by fuel under pressure when I crack the inlet fitting. Still, I sit in front of the house not able to fire this thing up. I am off to get the other fuel pump. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks! :dunno:

fireman steve
03-27-2008, 02:09 PM
Got power to the pumps (after I replaced them as they were both dead) and she runs now. A little rough, but I think it has dirty injectors. I am running a tank of injector cleaner through it for good measure. IT throws a clot now annd again, but it is running better by the mile.

I think all on my light issues are due to the hazard light button. I need to find a new one so I can have blinkers again. This little car has some issues, but I will get them all ironed out in good time.

Any words of advice, or good direction are very appreciated as I am a newbie to the BMW.

Good motoring everyone! :thumbup:

ebloom
03-28-2008, 05:37 AM
As you've discovered, the hazard light switch is the cause of many lighting problems -- get a new switch! Also check in and around the rear tail-light assemblies for rust or corrosion. Water can get into the assembly if there's any rust in the area.

/Eric
Former owner of '83 320i