PDA

View Full Version : Dinan SC help

cornercarver
03-26-2008, 07:20 AM
I recently purchased a 1999 M3 with a Dinan sc. I had it dynoed last week and it puts 297 to the wheels.

I am looking for info on the approximate boost pressure from the Dinan. The car has 28k on it now and I know that Dinan superchargers are a milder state of tune to comply with BMW's warranty.

Can a simple pully change and a possible switch from the Dinan computer program to Conforti software bring an appreciable difference in power?

How much would that cost in $$?

I don't want to drop too much money on this current set up (as I am going to install a EVO motor and transmission in two years - if I can still find one) but do want to increase the output a little.

I would like another 20-30 rwhp, is that realistic with what I am suggesting (pulley and software)?

MustGoFast
03-28-2008, 03:19 PM
You can always underdrive the supercharge pulley.. simple mechanical mod to add some nice power.

Ryan M
03-28-2008, 03:26 PM
Swapping a smaller pulley will increase boost yes, but make certain that you have the software to support this change in A/F ratios and make sure your injectors can handle the increased flowrate. Also, I'm not sure how small I would go, you don't want to add too much boost and risk blowing something.

MustGoFast
03-30-2008, 02:15 PM
well 20~30hp probably needs 1~2pounds of boost.. so you'll need 10~20% smaller circumference on your pulley... roughly speaking.... if your current fuel system will support it I don't know.

BeRzErKaS
04-01-2008, 12:01 PM
I recently purchased a 1999 M3 with a Dinan sc. I had it dynoed last week and it puts 297 to the wheels.

I would like another 20-30 rwhp, is that realistic with what I am suggesting (pulley and software)?

Depends..

Does your Dinan kit have the Powerdyne blower or the Vortech?

In either case the stock Dinan kit pushes about 5.5lbs of boost with a relatively conservative tune. To get another 30hp at the wheels you will need at *least* another 3lbs of boost.

The Powerdyne blower is nearly maxed out at 5.5psi. You can get 8-9psi out of it but be prepared for more frequent rebuilds. You should upgrade the bearings in the blower if you plan to spin it faster.

The Vortech blower is oil cooled and can spin quite a bit faster. Some people make up to 13psi with the Vortech.

I think a pulley and a more aggressive tune will get you close to your target. You also might want to look into a water injection kit - that may add a few horses to your current setup without upping the boost.

As a side note, I don't know where you expect to find Conforti software for a supercharger application. These days JimC is harder to get a hold of than weapons grade plutonium.

As far as I know the only e36 supercharger chips JimC ever released were for the ERT kit (the one I have) and I've been on the lookout for an original chip for YEARS. So let me know if you find anything! :D

cornercarver
04-01-2008, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the info and specs on the boost expecially! :thumbup:The Dinan I have is a Vortech. Are there any precautions I should take with regards to the bearings on this unit?

When people quote the pully diameter are the measuring across the face of the pulley (which is larger than the pulley itself) or are the measuring circumference and calculating the diamter?

I don't want to go above 8 psi or so.

Another thanks for the info on the Conforti chips as they relate to S/Cs. What would you recommend for this higher output boost software?

keith

markesq
04-13-2008, 10:15 AM
I ran 10psi on the Stock Dinan program and my AFRs were perfect. I also had the Powerdyne setup.

cornercarver
04-15-2008, 07:47 AM
So basically I need to add an intercooler and swap the pulleys?

How do I size the pulleys to bumb the 5.5 psi Dinan to 7.5-8 psi?

Thanks,

Keith

spoolin spec v
04-17-2008, 06:49 AM
What model Vortec?

Also, I am not sure on the pulley size to start out with, but be careful with going down to small...Belt slip a mother ****er, and makes for a lot of headaches.

CAMDINANS3
07-02-2008, 11:48 AM
pretty sure most of the vortech units on the DINAN s/c are the V-2 S. if i were you id go with the 6inch crank and 3.33 inch s/c pulley. you should get about 9psi with that.