PDA

View Full Version : E36 M3- installing front license plate

peterj02460
03-29-2008, 07:02 PM
I searched this site for posts on this and did not find a complete explanation for how to install a front license plate. I saw discussions on the merits of double sided tape and hook methods, as well as discussions about not wanting to drill, but never found one that explained what to do once you decided to go for it and drill into the bumper. So, here is what I did:
1. In the middle of the front bumper is a removable plastic piece of the bumper that has a BMW logo on it, remove this piece by popping open a series of tabs that holds it in place in the bumper.
2. Once you remove this piece, you will see in the bottom left and right corners of the space that this piece used to occupy 2 holes where the license plate screws (2 bottom screws on the plate) are to be inserted.
3. All you need to do now is drill holes in the removable piece that will line up with those 2 holes when you pop the piece back in place.
4. After you drill the 2 holes in the removable piece, and confirm they do line up, pop the piece back into place.
5. I bought a used BMW license plate bracket on EBAY. Take the bracket and place the license plate over it, now put the 2 bottom screws through both the license plate and the bracket and attach it to the bumper through the 2 holes you made.
6. You can now screw in 2 top screws as well if you want on the top of the license plate through the plate and the bracket. These 2 top screws can be smaller (shorter) as I only had them go through the plate and bracket but not into the bumper (2 holes was enough!).
7. Thats it!

LmtdSlip
03-29-2008, 07:34 PM
The e36 has a dedicated trim strip in the front that incorporates a plate frame.

Check Pelican Parts. About $20 as I recall.

e36m34life
04-03-2008, 12:45 AM
Its very simple, you just dont put it on. :)

Does your state require it? Even if they do, take the chance, at worst it is like $100, and if you have a decent record and your polite with the police officer, they will just let you off with a warning, its not a big deal. But it is a big deal on the car because it looks alot nicer when you dont have a front plate on the car, E36 M3's are one of those cars that look ALOT better without a front plate.

brosher
04-04-2008, 04:43 PM
Bavauto sells a kit for $50 that comes with the correct trim piece, mounting bracket and hardware. I bought the damn thing and still couldn't bring myself to mount the plate. :rofl:

Pinecone
04-12-2008, 09:00 AM
If you have both trim pieces, if you get fix it, fix it, get it inspected, switch back. :)