PDA

View Full Version : 2001 740i vs 740iL

hts
03-30-2008, 04:29 PM
So other then the extra 5" (and let's be honest, who among us couldn't use a little extra length?), assuming both are the sport models, are there any other differences?

I'm looking for widescreen Navs, but I've also noticed that some of them have the 4 spoke steering wheel and some the fat 3-spoke M (not sure why). I've also noticed different automatic shifters--some look like the steptronics that I'm familiar with, while others seem to have only the single gate, but with an "A" and "M" button (at least I think that's what they are).

I actually prefer the look of the iL, even though I hardly need the extra legroom in back (our boys are 6 and 7, and even though they will easily be 6 footers one day, right now they're closer to 4 footers.

:thumbup:

I'm actually debating between a 2001 740i/L and a 2003 540i M-Sport (both slushies). Am I haven't actually driven a 740i yet, so am I crazy to cross-shop these two or what?

M.Wong
03-30-2008, 10:25 PM
I believe it's 5.5" :) And yes, it's all in the rear doors. If you get a non-Sport, the i and iL have no differences other than those rear doors.

The 740i Sport Package consisted of 18-inch rims, blackout "shadowline" trim, sport suspension, lower gear ratio, sport 3-spoke steering wheel, and vavona redwood interior trim.

The 740iL Sport Package did not get the lower gear ratio. Enthusiasts who want the true sport package generally belive the Shorty Sporty is the way to go.

The sport steering wheel did not come heated... if you get a Cold Weather Package and a Sport Package, I think you give up the heated feature that would come on the four spoke wheel.

A/M switch is regular automatic, the other with the +/- is steptronic.

I have almost what you describe... 2000 iL non-Sport and 03 540i/6. Sporty sedan vs sedany sports car, if you ask me. Comfort vs nimble. If you do some test drives, be sure to compare sport vs sport, on non vs non. I do not mind having an automatic in the iL non-Sport. But the wife required a six speed manual on her E39, which requires the Sport package anyway.

Oh, and on the NAV screens:
2001 Build dates: 3/00-8/00 had regular screen NAV.
2001 Build dates: 9/00-7/01 had wide screen NAV.

hts
03-31-2008, 05:37 PM
Interesting insights, thanks M. Wong. I think I'm only going to look at sport models. I just really prefer the aestetics of the iL over the shorty. The real question is whether I'll prefer the 2003 540i M-sport over the 2001 740iL Sport. I've driven several 540i's and enjoyed them very much. I'm going to try to drive a local 740iL for the very first time tomorrow. I'll report back!

Seven11
04-01-2008, 12:12 AM
i went for a short version 7 because i dont feel like being a driver for the rear passengers:tsk:, Li or in your case iL feels like a limo. the short version feels more nimble and again in your case it will be faster because of the gearing.

go short :bow:

hts
04-01-2008, 09:05 AM
agreed. discussed it with my wife this morning and we also came up with the 'chauffeur' scenario. as if our boys aren't totally spoiled and full of themselves already at 6 & 7, i think the last thing we need is to start really treating them like royalty/heads of state!

so i've found an '01 Short Sporty (or whatever you call it) with 60k miles for $19k and has a 4-year (from mypurchase date) unlimited miles warranty. Here are the warranty details:

Detailed Components Covered:

ENGINE
(Gas or Diesel) Cylinder block and cylinder head(s), including all internal parts requiring lubrication; oil pump, timing drive gears, timing belt or chain, camshaft, valve train, intake and exhaust manifolds, primary fuel pump, gas fuel injection system, gas pressure regulator, valve seals, piston rings, harmonic balancer, tensioners, valve covers, timing belt cover, 02 sensors, PVC Valve, Engine mounts.

TRANSMISSION
(Automatic or Manual) Transmission case and including all internal parts requiring lubrication; torque converter and torque converter housing; To include: vacuum modulator, transmission mounts, cooler lines (Metal), external transmission cooler, external 8 internal control units, seals 8 gaskets, and detent control.

DRIVE AXLE
Rear drive axle housings inducing all internal parts requiring lubrication; universal joints and constant velocity joints; drive shaft(s), yokes and drive shaft carrier(s); [four wheel drive transfer case and all internally lubricated parts (extra cost)]. Hubs 8 wheel bearings, C-V boots, front wheel drive actuator, and traction control.

BRAKES
All hydraulic brake system components.

ANTI-LOCK BRAKES
Electronic control processor, accumulator, hydraulic pump/motor assembly, isolation dump valve and pressure modulator valve, parking brake cable, and wheel cylinders.

COOLING
Water pump; thermostat; radiator fan and fan clutch; electric radiator fan motor, heater core, coolant recovery tank, radiator, water pump pulley, thermostat housing, and radiator fan relay.

AIR CONDITIONING
(Factory installed only) Compressor, condenser, receiver dryer and accumulator. To include: compressor seals, compressor clutch, clutch bearing, idler pulley, evaporator, refrigerant and evacuate and recharge, cutoff switch, clutch assembly including coil, clutch bearing and clutch pulley, and serpentine belt tensioner.

SUSPENSION
Upper and lower control arms and shafts; upper and lower ball joints; spindle; coil and leaf springs only if cracked or broken.

ELECTRICAL
(Factory Installed Only) Alternator housing and all internal parts including bearings, bushings, brushes, rectifier bridge, diodes, field coil and rotor; alternator mounting brackets; voltage regulator; starter motor housing and all internal parts including bushings, field windings, starter drive and solenoid; front and rear wiper motor and linkage; power window motor; power seat motor; headlight switch; wiper motor switch; mirror motor switch; stop light switch; neutral safety switch; glove box light switch; courtesy light switch; cooling fan relay; air conditioning solenoid; air regulator valve; electronic ignition module; electronic instrument panel module; ignition coil; distributor modules; throttle position sensor; vehicle speed sensor; map sensor; knock sensor and barometric pressure sensor; engine distributor including shaft, gear, bushings and module; cruise control components including module, servo, cables, engagement switch, electronic instrument clusters and driver information systems including speedometer, odometer, tachometer and warning indicators; theft system and keyless entry transmitter, keyless entry control unit, receiver/module. Door lock actuators; mirror motor; power window switch; power lock switch; turn signal switch; brake light switch; rear window defogger; horn and relay; convertible top motor; sun roof motor; power antenna motor; electrical head lamp motor; power trunk/hatch release solenoid; front and rear window regulators; crank angle sensor; cam position sensor; automatic temperature control sensor; mass air flow sensor; coolant temperature sensor.

STEERING
Steering gear housing and internal parts including control rings, valve, pinion shaft, worm shaft and gear, sector shaft, bearing, adjusters; rack and pinion housing and internal parls including control valve, rack bellows, mounts, rack shaft and yoke, spool valve; bearings; power steering pump and internal parts including housing, reservoir, shaft and vanes, and mounting brackets; tie rods; idler and pitman arms, center/drag link, coupling and shafts; cooler lines; seals and gaskets.

FLUIDS
Covered in conjunction with a repair authorized by the warranty corporation.

SEALS AND GASKETS
Head gaskets, intake manifold gaskets, cam housing gasket(s), front cam shaft seals, oil pan gasket, timing cover gasket, transmission pan gaskets, valve cover gasket, front and rear main seals. All other seals and gaskets are covered only when required in conjunction with the replacement of a covered part or component.

TURBO OR SUPERCHARGER
(Factory installed) Single turbo charger or supercharger housing including all internal parts requiring lubrication; waste gate and boost valve. Surcharge of $275 for dual turbo or biturbo vehicles.

DIAGNOSTIC SERVICES
This contract covers diagnostic charges, for approved claims, up to $100. Diagnostics are based on current labor guides (Mitchell's).

TRAVEL COVERAGE
If you're more than 100 miles away from your current address we will reimburse you $60.00 dollars a day for every 12 hours of labor based on the current labor guides (Mitchell's).

TOWING
If your vehicle becomes disabled due to the failure of a covered part or component, and needs to be towed, we will reimburse you up to a maximum of $75.00 dollars for the towing of your vehicle to a repair center of your choice.

DEDUCTIBLE
One hundred dollars ($100) per occurrence per item. Zero deductible available.

This is a nationwide warranty and the guy says Inspection II has been completed. The one major issue I have in buying such an old/high mileage car is the possible repair bills. I realize this warranty isn't 100% comprehensive, but it looks pretty good to this layman. What do you guys think? If I run the VIN and it turns up clean, should I jump on this deal?

Seven11
04-01-2008, 11:18 AM
make sure to get zero deductible, and $19k is WAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY too much :tsk:

hts
04-01-2008, 11:44 AM
the warranty is already paid for (part of the purchase price for the car) and i offered him $18k (he didn't accept). you really think this is too much? the car only has 60k miles on it. i sold my 01 330 last summer with 40k miles on it for 17k and it had plastic seats.

Seven11
04-01-2008, 04:40 PM
u can almost get a 2002 745i for that much, a little more miles :eeps: but its a 745i

hts
04-01-2008, 06:55 PM
hate the new body styles, that's why i'm only looking at 2003 540i's (SP) and 2001 740's (SP). Bangle can go eff himself.

Jayccel
04-01-2008, 08:15 PM
agreed. discussed it with my wife this morning and we also came up with the 'chauffeur' scenario. as if our boys aren't totally spoiled and full of themselves already at 6 & 7, i think the last thing we need is to start really treating them like royalty/heads of state!

LOL - my sons (twins) already think that. Eleven years old and looooove all of the extra leg room back there. When I had my 525, they were feeling privileged, now with the 7, its......home James. LOL

Gotta admit though, I do like the leg room myself (when I'm sitting in the rear seats, admiring the car)

Seven11
04-01-2008, 08:30 PM
Gotta admit though, I do like the leg room myself (when I'm sitting in the rear seats, admiring the car)

but when i am DRIVING i like the feeling not being somebodies chauffeur, and the car is more nimble and a little faster (maybe not by that much at all, but still its good to know) :D

760L_IZA
04-01-2008, 10:57 PM
damn bro i have to say your car is ugly the color sucks

Seven11
04-02-2008, 01:15 AM

OOOH what an opininated guy you are :tsk: and you come off so educated :rolleyes:

Seven11
04-02-2008, 01:16 AM
LOL - my sons (twins) already think that. Eleven years old and looooove all of the extra leg room back there. When I had my 525, they were feeling privileged, now with the 7, its......home James. LOL

nice car thou, i love the way 740's look, A CLASSIC :thumbup:

youngest740ownr
04-05-2008, 02:06 AM
i would say get the 740IL i mean look at it this way. the car is NOT a sports car so why do u care if its 5.5 inches longer or shorter. IMO the IL looks better ne ways.. and its suppose to be a family car and what not why not give the family 5.5 more inches or lets say u pick up a hood rat. then u have more room in the back anyways haha

youngest740ownr
04-05-2008, 02:09 AM
o and 1 more then. if u want a 5 series sport then y not just get the m5 =))) ^^??

Jayccel
04-05-2008, 04:46 PM
but when i am DRIVING i like the feeling not being somebodies chauffeur, and the car is more nimble and a little faster (maybe not by that much at all, but still its good to know) :D

But I AM someone's chauffeur; my kids - LOL. But for me, even if I didn't have children, I still would have gone with the iL; just my preference.

nice car thou, i love the way 740's look, A CLASSIC

Thanks mane. I do prefer the classic lines of the e38 as my first choice, but would love to add yours to my collection :D

Jayccel
04-05-2008, 04:52 PM
...or lets say u pick up a hood rat. then u have more room in the back anyways haha

:lmao:

JT///M3
04-11-2008, 04:48 PM

I'm no fan of the new body 7 but it does look good on 21s! :)

crewdog843
04-12-2008, 08:21 AM
My personal opinion: Nineteen k for an '01 with 60K miles and warranty....go for it!!! Warranty is worth close to three grand. Mileage is good for that year. Plus, the 2001 e38 is the last of that line, and has classic styling, whereas 2002 is the beginning of the new line and is full of little bugs. If you like the new styling, go for a newer model where the little bugs have been ironed out.

Shorty sportys rule....just make sure it is a sport.

jake

mandrews1119
04-14-2008, 06:36 PM
goodkarma,
Have you made a decision yet? I agree with crewdog843, except that 19K is a bit pricey, a bit more shopping and you could do better than that. In all fairness though, the "wow, I love it" factor has to be accounted for, as well as options, and 60K is decently low mileage, but our E38's usually live 5 times as long as that with proper care, so don't let the low mileage be your only guide. Do some comparison shopping and show the seller your results. That should get you at least a grand or two off that 19K. How are the options? The '01 should have pretty much everything offered for the E38 - most of it standard. I admit having the toys CAN make a difference. It is six years now since the new body style and I am not convinced all the bugs have been worked out, but M. Wong is probably the best arbiter of that thought. As soon as I can save a bit more cash and get off of the home entertainment and Rolex/Breitling kick, I'd like to find a 2nd 7 Series, either a nice '01 like yours, or maybe dabble into an '04-'06 w/options. I am in the Atlanta area and prices seem a bit lower here than in other areas. Perhaps you may consider travelling a bit and save some $$$ on your purchase. whatever your decision, enjoy it, and drive fast and well.!!

1985mb
04-16-2008, 02:10 PM
i went for a short version 7 because i dont feel like being a driver for the rear passengers:tsk:, Li or in your case iL feels like a limo. the short version feels more nimble and again in your case it will be faster because of the gearing.

go short :bow:

+1. IMO the SWB 740i Sport is one of the best looking luxury sedans of the decade, if not the entire modern era.

The 740i (SWB) just looks *right* - I imagine it looks the way its maker wanted it to look.......... the LWB iL, OTOH, looks like a SWB was taken, cut, had the wheelbase and doors elongated and then put back together.

Don't know how to phrase it better - the 740i Sport just looks right

srein1
04-18-2008, 10:52 AM
My father has the Il and I have the 740i. There is a world of difference in the handling and speed off the block between the two. The 740i sport suspension is unbeleivable at speed in tight corners and in S -curves at speed. The 740i moves like a tiger with surefooted turns while the 740 Il moves in a stately manner. The 740i straight ride is not the luxury smoothness of the Il 740 but is ok if you make a sport of dodging potholes. AND, don't ever hit a pothole at 90 or 100 with the 18" or 19" wheels or you will need a new wheel. All in all, at my young age of 52, I still need the sportiness of the 740i ----- AND, the 740i is the best looking car of the decade (so far). Maybe the new 7 will live up to the e38 when it comes out in 2010 - I won't hold my breath though.

When I get a bit older perhaps the luxury ride of the 740 Il will be in order - take that Dad!

Seven11
04-20-2008, 02:55 AM
Maybe the new 7 will live up to the e38 when it comes out in 2010 - I won't hold my breath though.

2009, guy :thumbup:

srein1
04-20-2008, 11:50 AM
like I said - I won't hold my breath cause have to give a couple of years to find out all the kinks

irija
07-17-2008, 06:49 PM
So did you pull the trigger? That does seem pricey for the car, but the warranty that you listed would definitely make me feel comfortable in purchasing it. Who is offering that warranty?

jgriffith007
07-23-2008, 09:43 AM
PM Me. I have an 01il black on black for sale. It is posted in the classifieds. I do not know what you are wanting to spend but it is a great car. I have an 03 li currently.