PDA

View Full Version : Info needed on 95 M3 vs 95 325ia

dooma350
04-05-2008, 10:45 AM
Hi, I was looking to get some info on the car pictured below.
Its my friends car, a 95 325ia with 33K on the odometer.

Looking at the pictures, can you tell me if anything on the car is standard OEM M3 for MY1995? (Ex. color, wheels, side skirt, spoiler, bumper, mirrors, lights, etc). Reason why I ask is my friend keeps insisting his car has an "M3" body.
I thought, maybe it was the sports package w/M3 mirrors as a dealer added accessory?

So I asked him what an "M3" body is, and he said when he bought it from the dealer new back in 1995, the dealer added M3 OEM aerodynamic parts to it (Im not sure who added the badge, lol :D). The only thing I can see is maybe the mirrors (not sure) . But then again, I dont know anything about the E36, which is why im posting here.

Any input would be appreciated.

Ken

GrFa
04-05-2008, 10:48 AM
Mirrors and the front bumper are M3 parts. Also, it looks like it is Avus blue which was an M3 only color. Check on the strut tower in the engine bay and it will list the color of the car on a black sticker.

dooma350
04-05-2008, 11:10 AM
GrFa,

Thanks for the input.
So the wheels are definitely not OEM M3?
Interesting note on the color.
My friend definitely isnt the modding type, so the dealer had to have had it painted somewhere (maybe personalization at the factory?). When he bought the car, he was told that the car is basically an M3 with a 325 engine.

jtm964
04-05-2008, 03:31 PM
The wheels are not OEM M3 wheels, and also they look like 16 inches, not the 17s that the E36 M3 comes with.

ffej
04-06-2008, 09:56 AM
GrFa,

Thanks for the input.
So the wheels are definitely not OEM M3?
Interesting note on the color.
My friend definitely isnt the modding type, so the dealer had to have had it painted somewhere (maybe personalization at the factory?). When he bought the car, he was told that the car is basically an M3 with a 325 engine.

Actually, it would be more accurate to say it's a 325 with some M3 Aero bits on it. There are some other differences between the M3 & 325i: brakes, suspension (springs/dampers/arms), rear differential, wheels, front seats...you know, little things :)

Your buddy got rolled. Still, it looks nice, and 325s are still very fine cars. Hopefully he didn't pay too much for it.

Pinecone
04-12-2008, 08:59 AM
In other markets there were M Technic packages, which were the M body parts on non-M cars. Could be a BMW individual ordered car in Avus with M Technic package.