PDA

View Full Version : smoke comming out of the business head unit

Vpanesar
04-08-2008, 06:12 PM
hey guys, i have a 2001 530i and this past weekend smoke started coming out of the head unit (stock deck). and i'm sure it's because the guy who i bought the car off of had an aftermarket deck in their and he did a bad job on reinstalling the stock deck. Now i have to get a new deck, what would be the best choice, i dont wanna spend over 300 on a new deck, so am i better off buying an after market one? if so how much do you think it'll cost to get it fitted to the dash??

merchantmariner
04-09-2008, 12:34 PM
most places like crutchfield have model specific mounting kits for after market decks. A stock one is probably expensive unless you find a used one. The after market decks come with their own wiring harness and are fairly easy to install for the do-it-yourselfer. Car audio places usually charge $100 + to install a head unit.

TED13B
04-10-2008, 08:31 AM
Get it checked out fast, the smoke may be coming from wiring behind the head unit. A short could cause damage to your wiring harness or even an electrical fire.

Vpanesar
04-10-2008, 10:44 PM
thanks man, im pretty sure there's a short. pretty weird. i'll get it checked out

Jspeed
04-17-2008, 07:44 PM
Your mission, should you decide to accept it...