PDA

View Full Version : BMW Portable Navigation....help!

jose100fires
04-08-2008, 07:28 PM
Ok, first off, I searched the forums for answers, they weren't there, or I couldn't find them.

My questions. Does anyone know, for absolutely sure, what you get when you buy the BMW Portable Navigation?

If so, please tell me what the bracket that attaches the unit to the dash does, that is, does it just hold it, or does it have a power and or antenna link?

I have read what appear to be reliable articles that tell us that the bracket does all of the above mentioned, for $175. BUT... my dealer showed me the catalog, today, from BMW that shows the only bracket is a $24 unit that simply holds the unit. They also told me that there is no instal needed, as there is nothing to instal. I ordered the bracket to see if I can fit it to other units. Seemed to be worth the $24.

Regardless of the brackets magical powers (or lack there of) will it hold another garmin unit? If so, which (preferably the wide screen models)?

And why is the whole item on a "freeze" from BMW? - I can't order it.

And why would I buy this for $600 when the same product is much cheaper with regular Nuvi skin (360)? (Really, if there is an answer, I would like to know)

Any help would be great and thanks in advance (except for any flaming or search nazis)

Oh - here is my obligatory emoticon.....:hi:

TED13B
04-10-2008, 08:34 AM
The BMW bracket taps into power behind the dash, so you don't need the cig lighter adapter. The bracket kit is $175, not $24. The unit is based on the Nuvi 360, but does include special BMW programming, including the location of all dealers in the country. Any Garmin will plug into the bracket.

jose100fires
04-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Thanks for your post - and not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but...

How do you know this? Can you send me links for info? I've been told the same thing and if BMW parts doesn't know about this $175 bracket, I really doubt that it exists..(again, nothing personal)

Can you give me more info?

I noticed that 67 people have viewed this post - I'm likely not alone in question.

Again - THANK YOU FOR THE POST!

TED13B
04-11-2008, 08:43 AM
I'm the parts manager at a BMW dealership. The install kit for people who alreay have a Garmin is part number 65-90-0-429-403, retail $175. This kit is for all E90's. There is also a 1 series kit that just came out.