PDA

View Full Version : Google Maps to BMW Nav (US)

davidhegarty
04-09-2008, 02:02 PM
Google Maps now offers the ability to send an address to your BMW Nav system.

This feature has been available in Europe for a while, but has only just become available in the US.

I called BMW assist yesterday, and they said that this feature is ONLY available in 2008 BMWs (I have an 2007 X5).

A couple of questions:
1) Is this true?
I tried it yesterday and I got a msg that it couldn't send to my car.. so i presume so.

2) Is it possible to upgrade the firmware in my BMW Nav System to enable this functionality?

chicagofan00
04-09-2008, 02:24 PM
If true this would be really cool. Anyone able to confirm yet that it really works???

bigudibmw
04-09-2008, 02:37 PM
That would be so so great...

TranPlanner
04-09-2008, 04:43 PM
Check out this link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgTx9nUJfOc

TranPlanner
04-09-2008, 05:00 PM
I checked with BMW Assist and they said my car (2008 550) does not have this capability. They told me that this will not be available on existing cars, only those built later this year. Sounded like it would be MY 2009.

plien69
04-09-2008, 06:25 PM
I tried it, and got an e-mail to my GMail account from BMW Assist saying "The vehicle listed on your BMW Assist account is not capable of receiving this information."

smhoer
04-09-2008, 07:28 PM
I got the same message as Patrick. I wonder if this is a software update. We already have the ability to receive destinations via the concierge service so I would think this could be enabled via a software update

thestoogeo
04-09-2008, 08:09 PM
That would be sweet. I hope it works on mine.

jeffng65
04-10-2008, 06:38 AM
Looks like Google is ready for it. I hope it's something we can update because I'm about to buy a 2008.

http://maps.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=91155

///M Rakete
04-10-2008, 12:57 PM
It appears that this capability should exist for MY2007 cars and after because under the BMW Assist Convenience Plan it is possible to "have the destination and phone number sent to your on-board navigation system with a push of the "Concierge" button, located under Communications and BMW Assist in your iDrive menu." If the BMW Assist operator can push this as part of a call then perhaps it's possible for My Info to work too.

Anyway I just tried it and I got the failure email.

plien69
04-10-2008, 02:00 PM
Maybe you need to be subscribed to the Convenience Plan, and not just the Safety Plan.

JSpira
04-10-2008, 05:42 PM
It appears that this capability should exist for MY2007 cars and after because under the BMW Assist Convenience Plan it is possible to "have the destination and phone number sent to your on-board navigation system with a push of the "Concierge" button, located under Communications and BMW Assist in your iDrive menu." If the BMW Assist operator can push this as part of a call then perhaps it's possible for My Info to work too.

This has nothing to do with it (although it's a great feature and I probably have the Concierge send a destination once or twice a week to the car).

JSpira
04-10-2008, 05:43 PM
Google Maps now offers the ability to send an address to your BMW Nav system.

This feature has been available in Europe for a while, but has only just become available in the US.

I do not believe it is available in the U.S. at this time.

davidhegarty
04-10-2008, 06:22 PM
Google Maps Link (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=en&q=bmw&near=Spartanburg,+South+Carolina,+United+States&ie=UTF8&cd=1&geocode=0,34.888090,-81.969130&ll=34.891845,-82.132244&spn=0.09645,0.159988&t=h&z=13&iwloc=F)

If you go to 'Send to phone' / 'Car' / 'Make = BMW' / 'Country = US'

You'll see there is an option to send to BMWs in the US. The US option was not there two weeks ago.

When I use it, I get the following msg:

"The Destination you requested could not be delivered due to the following error(s):

A02: VIN: XXXXXXXXXXXXX. The vehicle listed on your BMW Assist account is not capable of receiving this information. If you feel you have received this message in error, contact BMW Assist at (888) 333-6118."

JSpira
04-10-2008, 06:30 PM
I am glad you posted this. I tested this in Europe and was told it was coming in the U.S. but was not given a timeframe.

I just tested it and used my account and was told it was sent successfully.

I'll find out soon enough if that's true.

JSpira
04-10-2008, 06:31 PM
I am glad you posted this. I tested this in Europe and was told it was coming in the U.S. but was not given a timeframe.

I just tested it and used my account and was told it was sent successfully.

I'll find out soon enough if that's true.

UPDATE - got the same e-mail error message you did.

But I did send a note to the product manager of BMW Assist asking for further info.

Stevej2001
04-10-2008, 08:05 PM
when I got the error email message I called BMW assist. They told me it should work and when it didn't, I was put on hold for 15 min or so. They got back on the line and said my car wasn't compatible. They said (for what it's worth) that it'll work with cars manufactured this fall at the earliest.

JSpira
04-10-2008, 08:12 PM
Well, my car was manufactured in October and it didn't work.

I'll find out more tomorrow.

Stevej2001
04-10-2008, 09:53 PM
when I got the error email message I called BMW assist. They told me it should work and when it didn't, I was put on hold for 15 min or so. They got back on the line and said my car wasn't compatible. They said (for what it's worth) that it'll work with cars manufactured this fall at the earliest.

I neglected to mention my 535i was built in 10/07

///M Rakete
04-11-2008, 08:55 AM

Yes, I first got the successful response on the web page but then I got the failure email.

If this won't work with anything manufactured before Fall of 2008 then they really ought to take down the option for U.S. cars anyway. All they are going to do is generate dissatisfaction and demands for an upgrade path (other than a new car). This will be interesting on my wife's next car.

///M Rakete
04-11-2008, 08:59 AM
This has nothing to do with it (although it's a great feature and I probably have the Concierge send a destination once or twice a week to the car).

If you are saying that the Concierge function operates on a data subchannel of the cellular call and My Info is more like an SMS text to the car I agree. Clearly pushing data to the car is a capability, it's then the method that is the limiting factor.

thestoogeo
04-11-2008, 05:46 PM
Just spoke with my CA today. He said that BMW just release the technology in the US a few days ago. He said that my new 08 due in next week should have it and he would be happy to demonstrate. I explained that I already knew how to use it.

I asked him about the SMS via bluetooth, we'll see what he says, fingers crossed.

Jon :thumbup:

JSpira
04-11-2008, 05:49 PM
Just spoke with my CA today. He said that BMW just release the technology in the US a few days ago. He said that my new 08 due in next week should have it and he would be happy to demonstrate. I explained that I already knew how to use it.

I asked him about the SMS via bluetooth, we'll see what he says, fingers crossed.

Don't be disappointed if it doesn't have it. I can't really say very much about what I was told on this but unless you are getting an X6, you won't see it for a while.

JSpira
04-11-2008, 05:51 PM
If you are saying that the Concierge function operates on a data subchannel of the cellular call and My Info is more like an SMS text to the car I agree. Clearly pushing data to the car is a capability, it's then the method that is the limiting factor.

The only way that Assist can send data to the car on the current system (as opposed to the soon-to-be-introduced system) is if you call via the concierge button. If you call from the car but don't use the concierge button, they can't send you any data. Using the conciege button opens a channel that allows two-way transmission.

///M Rakete
04-11-2008, 09:06 PM
The only way that Assist can send data to the car on the current system (as opposed to the soon-to-be-introduced system) is if you call via the concierge button. If you call from the car but don't use the concierge button, they can't send you any data. Using the conciege button opens a channel that allows two-way transmission.

Interesting. Would have thought that a "Allow remote data to be received?" acknowledgment would have been software (meaning iDrive controller) based.

To accept the My Info is the car partially awake all the time or does it connect on startup to collect queued messages? Just wondering. Hopefully the 2009 E60s will have this. I wouldn't hardly use it (Hell, I hardly use most of the stuff on my car) but my wife would/will.

Thanks. By the way I've enjoyed your recent writeups.

garyhgaryh
04-12-2008, 12:41 AM
I have a 2008 335i coupe and got the success msg on the web and a reject letter in email (same as what was posted):

A02: VIN: XXXXXXXXXXXXX. The vehicle listed on your BMW Assist account is not capable of receiving this information. If you feel you have received this message in error, contact BMW Assist at (888) 333-6118."

mapezzul
04-12-2008, 05:46 AM
The X6 will get this as a 2008, And the remainder of the fleet will get this as of MY 2009.
It will be free and packaged along with BMW Assist.

For further info:
http://www.bimmerfile.com/2008/04/12/bmw-adds-myinfo-via-google/

Best of luck and hope that answers your questions!:thumbup:

JSpira
04-12-2008, 12:03 PM
The X6 will get this as a 2008, And the remainder of the fleet will get this as of MY 2009.
It will be free and packaged along with BMW Assist.

For further info:
http://www.bimmerfile.com/2008/04/12/bmw-adds-myinfo-via-google/

Only the models listed in the news release will get this feature, not "the remainder of the fleet". Included are the 1er, 3er, 5er, 6er, 7er, X5, and X6.

I created an update to your post on the other site as well.

goody_1
04-12-2008, 02:05 PM
Should we start putting together a list of "issues" with our software now so we can get a free upgrade next year? lol

JSpira
04-12-2008, 02:11 PM
Should we start putting together a list of "issues" with our software now so we can get a free upgrade next year? lol
An upgrade to Progman won't give you this feature.

Bart001
04-13-2008, 04:30 AM
This is why I did a 2-yr lease. Changes are coming so fast these days, I really don't want to own the same car for 10 years any more!

Aldwyn
04-14-2008, 10:44 AM
The 328xi I have on order is supposed to go into production this week... any bets on whether or not it will have this feature when completed? :D

AEC
04-14-2008, 12:22 PM
The 328xi I have on order is supposed to go into production this week... any bets on whether or not it will have this feature when completed? :D

Since it's a 2008, I'll have to go with no.

Aldwyn
04-17-2008, 08:46 AM
I surely wouldnt put any money on it! :)