PDA

View Full Version : Roman1

ROMAN1
04-09-2008, 08:56 PM
New to the BMW world... question lux or performance? wieght to engine? style to year?
How does the 735il fit in... 1989 BMW 735il.. wut is it all about? I'm hearing to heavy with to many items to power and control for the 6 cylinder?... and the style to me is sharp if I had a decent set of rims...:dunno: Anyways its my first and I will try and upgrade as much as I can for performance maybe even a turbo I hear may be available 4 this year and possibley a v8 swap? still researching... any thoughts... out there...are welcomed..:thumbup:

BM2W
04-10-2008, 05:43 PM
Hello & welcome.
New to the BMW world... question lux or performance? wieght to engine? style to year?
How does the 735il fit in... 1989 BMW 735il.. wut is it all about? I'm hearing to heavy with to many items to power and control for the 6 cylinder?... and the style to me is sharp if I had a decent set of rims... Anyways its my first and I will try and upgrade as much as I can for performance maybe even a turbo I hear may be available 4 this year and possibley a v8 swap? still researching... any thoughts... out there...are welcomed..
As you've noted, the '89 735i is a handsome car, and in its day, was a paragon of luxury and muted performance. It is a heavy car being powered by a 208 hp engine, which seems pretty paltry by today's standards. It ain't quick, but it will go fast.

The good news is that that engine is pretty much of an anvil, it is well known and understood by inde shops, and there's tons of aftermkt equipment (including turbo kits) to upgrade and tailor it to your tastes. Older Bimmers are infinitely restoreable and parts aren't too dear, especially if you're mechanically inclined. Be aware that Bimmers of that vintage are notorious for electrical gremilins, but no where near as bad as some of more recent vintage.

I wouldn't spend $$ on an V-8 upgrade, but there is certainly lots of stuff available thru Korman, Metric Mechanic, BMP, and others to put a little more punch under the hood. It's a great car, but you gotta understand it is 19 years old, so you will need to deal with 'geriatric' issues. There are sites dedicated to senior 7's, but understand, it is a cruiser, not a street racer, unless you have a silly budget.

Good luck & welcome to the 'fest.

Fast Bob
04-10-2008, 07:24 PM
It`s important to know what`s ahead of you....you don`t want to start hot-rodding a 20-year-old car without first bringing all systems (brakes, cooling, suspension, engine, trans) up to modern (reliable) standards. This alone could burn up a good chunk of money....what you`re looking at is a sizeable investment, even if you have the abilty to DIY a lot of it.... Good luck!