PDA

View Full Version : E39 Performance Help!!

E3987
04-14-2008, 11:58 AM
I just bought a 1998 5 Speed 528i. I want to put some good performance into it. I'm not trying to supercharge it and throw huge mods on it. Just the basic chip with exhaust to give it some extra zip down the freeway. The basic S package from Dinan seems like my best avenue, but being that I'm new to bimmer tuning I was hoping you guys could hook me up with some recommendations, or brand names to look for/stay away from.

Fast Bob
04-14-2008, 12:23 PM
I just bought a 1998 5 Speed 528i. I want to put some good performance into it. I'm not trying to supercharge it and throw huge mods on it. Just the basic chip with exhaust to give it some extra zip down the freeway. The basic S package from Dinan seems like my best avenue, but being that I'm new to bimmer tuning I was hoping you guys could hook me up with some recommendations, or brand names to look for/stay away from.

Sorry, but BMWs don`t respond to bolt ons (CAI, chips,pulleys, exhaust, etc.) like Hondas, Mustangs, or Corvettes. On those cars, the mods I mentioned will usually net you 70 to 90 HP....on a BMW, those same mods will only net you *maybe* 15 HP for your $2500 investment....not a very good return. Get some new sway bars, maybe some new wheels & tires, and take a driving course or two....learn to get the most outta what you got.

Ryan M
04-14-2008, 12:25 PM
I responded to this thread but my post seems to have been deleted or something. Anyway, I'll say it again. Dinan is a huge ripoff. Especially their "packages". You pay thousands of dollars for hardly anything.

beewang
04-14-2008, 12:26 PM
:stupid: Yeah what he said!!

if you must have more power, you'd be better off selling your 528 and get a 530 or better yet 540i;)

and of course... why stop there!! Just get the M5 and be done w/ it!!