PDA

View Full Version : BMW Assist: BLuetooth Phone Help

MTech8
04-14-2008, 06:46 PM
Can anyone elaborate on how and how well the Bluetooth works?

I was reading the BMW Assist brochure and it states that:

"The BMW Assist system includes Bluetooth® Hands-free Calling capability with speech recognition"

Since BMW Assist is only available for free for the first 4 years. If I don't pay to renew, will I still be able to use the Bluetooth?

After the inital pairing of the phone with the Bluetooth system. For subsequent attempts after the car is shut-off.

When a person starts their car, does the Bluetooth phone automatically search for the phone and establish the Bluetooth connection? or do I need to manually connect the phone to the Bluetooth? If it's manual, is this typically done via the phone or iDrive?

How many phones can a person pair to the system?

ger3sf
04-14-2008, 07:24 PM
Since BMW Assist is only available for free for the first 4 years. If I don't pay to renew, will I still be able to use the Bluetooth?

Not sure, but I would think BT would still be active. Hopefully, someone can chime in.

When a person starts their car, does the Bluetooth phone automatically search for the phone and establish the Bluetooth connection? or do I need to manually connect the phone to the Bluetooth? If it's manual, is this typically done via the phone or iDrive?

After the initial pairing, no need to manually (re)connect each time you start your car. Strangely though, my old Moto Razr did not have this capability. After I upgraded to the Moto V9, the phone automatically connects after starting the car.

How many phones can a person pair to the system?
I have 5 devices (two V9s, two iPhones, one Bberry) paired to my E90's system.

plien69
04-14-2008, 10:46 PM
I can confirm that Bluetooth functionality remains after BMW Assist expires.

Stevej2001
04-14-2008, 11:13 PM
however, I did also pair my wife's Treo 650. With both phones in the car, and turned on, both worked. However, it looked first for her phone, then mine to pair. It took several minutes.

In the iDrive menu there was an order for searching for BT devices. My iPhone had been second. I reversed them and it found my phone quickly, hers slowly.

In general, it works GREAT.

('08 535i)

Bart001
04-15-2008, 09:22 AM
The ability to have the phone automatically connect to the car each time is a function of the phone, not the car. My Blackberries all have given me the option whether to automatically connect each time, and I always pick that option. It's a one-part-security and one-part-convenience issue, and it's nice when the phone gives you the option.

I love the hands-free speakerphone operation, as well as the fact that the car imports my entire address book quite quickly upon startup. While it imports the address book each time, it 'remembers' the recently called and frequently called lists.

MTech8
04-15-2008, 12:08 PM
Thanxs!

Have bluetooth on a MB car and works great. I assumed it would be similar on BMW cars. Got a little scared and decided to ask you knowledgable first hand users.

Sounds like it's just as good.

Quick question. Can you have more than 1 phone connected to the system at the same time? On my MB, it's only 1 from a list. So if it finds the 1st, the 2nd won't be connected.

If BMW's Bluetooth allows more than 1, that would be pretty cool. Obviously that would require more conflict resolution.

DesiM3
04-18-2008, 07:55 PM
I have a S 550 with bluetooth.My wife and I have identicle moto V90 phones.I can connect mine but not hers!My other 2 bimmers have no problem.MB service was clueless.I think it has some thing to do with the phone id.