PDA

View Full Version : You Think Some BMW Cars?

dboy11
04-16-2008, 12:52 PM
Are problematic cars for the most part?

I read a lot on various forums like this about e39 cars since I have one and other BMW models and it seems that the only thing that you read about are the problems that these cars have...Rarely do you read about how great the car is, problem free, great amount of trouble free miles...every mechanic that I have talked to about my car says the same thing...the coolant systems are prone to problems at 100K plus or minus...but other than that the most BMW cars are bullet proof as any other car on the road

My assumption with these forums is you read more about the troubles that people are having, which in the beginning when I got more 540 I was paranoid about the car breaking...I did all the up front coolant work, and some preventive maintenance work and in the last two years I have had no problems with the car at all.

Much like the four previous BMW cars I have had

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

kykizzle
04-16-2008, 02:27 PM
I have a 99 328is. I bought it 6 months ago with 99k. I have put 7000 miles on it so far and have had no problems. I think that if you don't drive them hard constantly, and do the proper maintenance you should be fine.

mclaren
04-16-2008, 05:13 PM
Forums have a survivorship bias. This means that people with car problems are much more likely to post than people who don't have problems ( like me ). The result is forums paint a bleak picture that doesn't jibe with reality.

dboy11
04-16-2008, 05:22 PM
Forums have a survivorship bias. This means that people with car problems are much more likely to post than people who don't have problems ( like me ). The result is forums paint a bleak picture that doesn't jibe with reality.

Thanks and very well said I might add...it took me a while before I started to see that...everything that I read on this and other site about my 540 that had gone wrong on others cars I had to go look at...was driving me crazy:D

W.S.
04-16-2008, 05:29 PM
dboy11,
You are completely right! It a double edge sword, those who have problems can easy access info from the forum, thanks to other who have already incounter them. But those who are prosective owners are easily scared away.

I know that if there ever was a car that required only planned maintainence, I would buy it to drive to and from work, but I would still have my Bimmer to enjoy the driving that I have to do. It is all give and take. Those of us who have taken (i.e. driven quite a bit in our Bimmers) also know that at some point the car will need to take (require maintaince).

For the record, I have enjoyed my BMW for 11,200 miles now with only 1 "failure to proceed" due to the water pump, and I knew that it would happen sooner or later.

Wade

dboy11
04-16-2008, 05:37 PM
dboy11,
You are completely right! It a double edge sword, those who have problems can easy access info from the forum, thanks to other who have already incounter them. But those who are prosective owners are easily scared away.

I know that if there ever was a car that required only planned maintainence, I would buy it to drive to and from work, but I would still have my Bimmer to enjoy the driving that I have to do. It is all give and take. Those of us who have taken (i.e. driven quite a bit in our Bimmers) also know that at some point the car will need to take (require maintaince).

For the record, I have enjoyed my BMW for 11,200 miles now with only 1 "failure to proceed" due to the water pump, and I knew that it would happen sooner or later.

Wade

Wade..Thanks

I brought my car used with just a tad over 100K so after reading here I decided to do the #2 service and over hauled the cooling system..valve cover gaskets, and other things that I can't recall...all this so that I would not have to worry about the condition of anything that could put me on the side of the road...I hate that.

This form has been a great source of info for me...good and bad at times:D

akhbhaat
04-16-2008, 06:32 PM
My car has been mostly trouble free.

But why post about it? Nobody likes good news. :)

There's some sort of myth surrounding German import cars - specifically the high end marques like BMW/MB/Porsche.

However, why would a BMW cost any more to repair than a VW? Or a Honda, for that matter? Cars are cars. I suspect the myth has been perpetuated by overzealous dealership service departments seeking justification for their outrageous $120/hr service charges. I've done plenty of work on my own cars with basic $20 sets of metric garage tools - and I'm not exactly a trained mechanic.