PDA

View Full Version : Steptronic OR Manual - Faster 0-60 Times?

alchemist007
04-16-2008, 12:02 PM
My friend says that the BMW STEPTRONIC w/ paddle shifters will give you faster 0-60 times. Is this true?

Also which is overall better for performance?

Ryan M
04-16-2008, 12:15 PM
I'm pretty sure that given skilled drivers the manual will produce faster 0-60 times. However, if it were a SMG or DSG transmission I think they would beat a manual.

335i Driver
04-16-2008, 12:16 PM
Nobody knows since it's never before been discussed.

Ryan M
04-16-2008, 12:25 PM

LOL, I'm picking up on your sarcasm:rofl:.

CaliColin
04-16-2008, 11:02 PM
From personal experience, as well as numbers posted in almost every car mag on the planet, manual is faster vs. Steptronic. Steptronic is just an automatic with the ability to choose gears. It's still a slushbox.

swajames
04-17-2008, 11:48 PM
FWIW the fastest magazine times on the 545 were recorded with the steptronic, and the fastest recorded times on from owners on E60.net were all performed with the steptronic. For most drivers, most of the time - the step will be quicker.

Synaps3
04-18-2008, 01:20 AM
Doesnt mean it isnt boring though!

Desiboy
04-18-2008, 10:21 AM
If you're an enthusiast, the fact that the step (on paper) is a 10th of a second faster will do nothing for you. You realize the value of a manual goes far beyond straight line speed.

Pinecone
04-19-2008, 05:12 AM
In the hands of a good driver, manual is the fastest. In the hands of an average driver, modern automatics may be faster.

SMG type setups have the potential to be faster than manual, but requires proper programming for launching.

ProRail
04-21-2008, 12:14 PM
Doesnt mean it isnt boring though!

What...this thread? How often can this topic be rediscussed, including all the "expert witnesses" contradicting each other?

riod007
04-21-2008, 11:46 PM
My bet is the manual

golfnut802
04-22-2008, 04:07 AM

Who cares if it has ever been discussed before. Part of the fun of this site is posting and building up some comaraderie with the other owners. Perhaps you would prefer that new members just sit in the background and listen to your infinite wisdom without the need to post, but where would the fun be in that?

I am sure you never made useless posts (oh wait, your earlier post in this thread was QUITE useless).

Fast Bob
04-22-2008, 09:22 AM
Assuming a competent driver, the manual will win 90% of the time (I don`t care *what* the magazines say)

Kzang
04-22-2008, 10:22 AM
Instead of Step maybe they are talking about SMG..

pilotman
04-22-2008, 10:33 AM
fairly recently (i.e. last 2 years or so) DSG gearboxes have proven to be consistently faster than manual driven by competent driver.

see Porsche 911, Ferrari products, etc.....flat out there is no question that a high end DSG transmission from one of these manufacturers will prevail over the manual every time.

But as others have noted, the fun factor is different with DSG, less driver involvment.

Many of the Ferrari DSG boxes have launch control etc...

Ryan M
04-22-2008, 10:36 AM
The OP asked about steptronic, which is no different than an auto. It has a torque converter and all of the same things an auto does. DSG/SMG are totally different. They use a clutch disk and a manual transmission.

Fast Bob
04-22-2008, 11:01 AM
fairly recently (i.e. last 2 years or so) DSG gearboxes have proven to be consistently faster than manual driven by competent driver.

see Porsche 911, Ferrari products, etc.....flat out there is no question that a high end DSG transmission from one of these manufacturers will prevail over the manual every time.

But as others have noted, the fun factor is different with DSG, less driver involvment.

Many of the Ferrari DSG boxes have launch control etc...

The isue here is B-M-W auto vs. stick, *not* Ferrari, Porsche, or anything else....

gchand
04-22-2008, 07:14 PM
I guess I might be missing some command of the driving experience with my steptronic, but I swear that driving any BMW, auto or manual, is more fun than most of the others. Slushbox v. musclebox, its all good.

Gremlin
04-26-2008, 01:35 AM
The one reason I am thinking about getting steptronic is I am concerned I might become one of the "manual guys" who goes around telling people that they suck because their car is automatic. Regardless though, I think I am going to go for the manual. I feel like if I am going to spend the extra money to get 'the ultimate driving machine' I might as well ultimately drive it.

Dave 330i
04-26-2008, 03:27 AM
Always had manuals in sporty cars, but I liked the slushie in the 335i. If I get a M3, it would have the DCT box, not the 6 spd. It's that good.

maldoror
04-26-2008, 02:38 PM
FWIW the fastest magazine times on the 545 were recorded with the steptronic, and the fastest recorded times on from owners on E60.net were all performed with the steptronic. For most drivers, most of the time - the step will be quicker.

Great way to get the manual owners up in arms. You don't know what you just did. :rofl: