PDA

View Full Version : New 7 series interior

mapezzul
04-18-2008, 01:27 PM
Some photos appeared today that depict the next generation interior. It is an evolution rather than a revolution. From BimmerFile.com

Spied: BMW 2009 F01 7 series interior.
A few days ago we brought you a nice example of the next generation 7 series from the outside. Today we give you a photo of the new interior it will be sporting. There are many changes in overall button placement and layout. The controller has moved and there are added buttons on the steering wheel. The iDrive system appears to be evolutionary rather than revolutionary. See for yourself!

http://bimmerfile.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/7int.jpg

Starab
04-18-2008, 02:01 PM
Will it be AWD-xi ?

I like the gear switch behind Stering wheel in previous year model

mapezzul
04-18-2008, 02:14 PM
Will it be AWD-xi ?

I like the gear switch behind Stering wheel in previous year model

I wrote an article on Bimmerfile.com about the transmission including some info on the xi option.

http://www.bimmerfile.com/2008/04/14/bmw-f01-7-series-to-get-8-speed-automatic/

The short answer is yes it will be available in XI.

kjboyd
04-18-2008, 04:06 PM
actually, it looks like bad Photoshop to me.

ansun
04-18-2008, 04:11 PM
This looks more like an x5 interior.

mapezzul
04-18-2008, 04:24 PM
actually, it looks like bad Photoshop to me.
I highly doubt it.. the controller alone is spot on, notice the arrows on top, they are 4 buttons, also look at the steering wheel. If you have seen any of the past spy shots with the interior covered up you would realize this is precisely what was being covered. They tried to make a fake hump on the test mules and fake the location of the controller but it did not work.
This looks more like an x5 interior.
It more closely resembles the X6. BMW is trying to achieve economies of scale.... the 8 series, CS or Gran Turismo will be the flagship model, not the 7 any longer.

Best of luck!:thumbup:

Bikie
04-18-2008, 05:06 PM
With all the buttons it looks like a Toyota/Lexus.

sunny_j
04-18-2008, 05:58 PM
: puke:

kjboyd
04-18-2008, 09:51 PM
actually, if you look at some of the reflections, they don't match, and parts of the dash have tell tale signs of the cloning tool being used. the area above the glove box is also terribly disjointed and almost looks like a badly mirrored cut and paste. and the black space between the AC and radio controls also shows signs of cloning as does what I assume is the ash tray, which, by the way looks like it's hinged from the front not the back and the left hand side has no seems, another sign of poor cloning or cut and paste.

plus the meta data show it was taken with a sony erickson phone, TODAY. and seeing as it says there was no flash!, the flash reflections in the dash should not be present.

and, IIRC, most of the spy shots i have seen have had GERMAN language on the iDrive display, not english...but I haven't seen that many.

Yay-Z
04-18-2008, 09:55 PM
looks like they have changed the odometer things, kinda lexusy

mapezzul
04-18-2008, 11:10 PM
actually, if you look at some of the reflections, they don't match, and parts of the dash have tell tale signs of the cloning tool being used. the area above the glove box is also terribly disjointed and almost looks like a badly mirrored cut and paste. and the black space between the AC and radio controls also shows signs of cloning as does what I assume is the ash tray, which, by the way looks like it's hinged from the front not the back and the left hand side has no seems, another sign of poor cloning or cut and paste.

plus the meta data show it was taken with a sony erickson phone, TODAY. and seeing as it says there was no flash!, the flash reflections in the dash should not be present.

and, IIRC, most of the spy shots i have seen have had GERMAN language on the iDrive display, not english...but I haven't seen that many.

It was indeed taken today... it was a photo of a photo. The original photo is confirmed by several sources to be the correct interior, it is in pre-production plastics so it is from either a preproduction car or an original interior mock-up for a supplier (that part I am still working on). Regardless it is the real deal and all of your know-how came up a bit short..... considering it was a camera phone shot of an actual picture it sort of negates all that cloning stuff a bit.

The fit and finish is not perfect b/c of the preproduction pieces being one offs. So where did the rest of these items come from then BTW.... since they are not on another vehicle currently? Do you think someone created all of these pieces?

kjboyd
04-18-2008, 11:29 PM
still don't believe it. it's not consistent and there are too many fuzzy edges and missing knob tops and bottoms.

Kamdog
04-19-2008, 08:57 AM
The iDrive controller looks like it is in a bad place, too much of a reach.

Fulltone74
04-19-2008, 12:00 PM

First thing i noticed... putting it directly to the right of the gear shift knob will be infuriating.

sunny_j
04-19-2008, 01:08 PM
still don't believe it. it's not consistent and there are too many fuzzy edges and missing knob tops and bottoms.

the current e65/66 interior isnt consistent with any other models:dunno:

bimmerguy288
04-19-2008, 01:40 PM

If you look at the X5 and X6, the iDrive controller is placed to the right of the shifter. Wondering how the X5 and X6 owners like it?

Scantastic
04-19-2008, 01:44 PM
The I-drive display has fewer options than a 7 ***8211; more like a 5 or 3

kjboyd
04-19-2008, 01:45 PM
the current e65/66 interior isnt consistent with any other models:dunno:

i didn't mean consistent with other interiors... if you open the file in photoshop and enlarge it, you can clearly see the tops and bottoms of the knobs are missing and the repetitive signs of a bad photoshop cloning job.

mapezzul
04-19-2008, 01:54 PM
i didn't mean consistent with other interiors... if you open the file in photoshop and enlarge it, you can clearly see the tops and bottoms of the knobs are missing and the repetitive signs of a bad photoshop cloning job.

Believe what you want, this is indeed the interior. It is a supplier preproduction mock up. The actual screen, speedo and tach are actually stickers/static cling pieces. The buttons and other items are non-functioning and meant as representations. You and your photoshop info is not accurate for this. The final materials are of much higher quality and there are already a few tweaks.

Here is another photo I obtained.... of the 3 series: Let me know what your photoshop tells you about this (also confirmed as REAL by our sources.)
http://www.bimmerfile.com/2008/04/19/exclusive-09-3-series-to-get-updated-idrive/
obviously we watermarked this one.

As for the controller to the right of the shifter: it does not interfere and for some it is a much more ergonomic placement, the current X6 also uses this form of setup.

mapezzul
04-19-2008, 01:59 PM
The I-drive display has fewer options than a 7 – more like a 5 or 3

The current 7 uses the original execution of iDrive, it is the only model in the lineup to still use it and it is the most obsolete. The newer versions are much easier to use and less cumbersome.

The F01 will use the latest not the prior as it is an entirely new car.

Scantastic
04-21-2008, 02:13 AM
Just some personal observations, I understand that this is ‘pre-production’
But this looks like a step back in so many areas of design & function from current 7’s
The whole dash looks narrow for a 7
All the buttons under the CD seems like they would be for channel selection-instead of using the LCD/I-drive? – Did they remove the CD changer option- I don’t see one there?
No shift buttons on steering wheel –if they are much higher on the wheel that would suck:thumbdwn:
Wait I see the consol shifter has some sort of manual mode- that would really suck if the wheel shift buttons we replaced
No retracting telephone keypad- I use mine all the time, put the blackberry in the consol
What’s with the start button hi up alongside the vents? It’s in too prominent of a space on the dash- its just not that important. BTW. can anyone make out the Redline, my eyes have seen better days so I can't make out if it's 6700 or 8700RPM- the latter would make for one smoken 7:thumbup:
It looks like there is an analog gauge for something other than speed and RPM, present 7’s make extensive use of info displays- This is supposed to be a high end luxury car
Did they take away the 2 Glasses draws and 2 cup holders? I am assuming there is an ashtray
It looks like the armrest is shorter because there is no I-drive controller so now where is the controls for the seats, there are 10 buttons and a knob for each seat

mapezzul
04-21-2008, 06:54 AM
Just some personal observations, I understand that this is ‘pre-production’
But this looks like a step back in so many areas of design & function from current 7’s
The whole dash looks narrow for a 7
All the buttons under the CD seems like they would be for channel selection-instead of using the LCD/I-drive? – Did they remove the CD changer option- I don’t see one there?
No shift buttons on steering wheel –if they are much higher on the wheel that would suck:thumbdwn:
Wait I see the consol shifter has some sort of manual mode- that would really suck if the wheel shift buttons we replaced
No retracting telephone keypad- I use mine all the time, put the blackberry in the consol
What’s with the start button hi up alongside the vents? It’s in too prominent of a space on the dash- its just not that important. BTW. can anyone make out the Redline, my eyes have seen better days so I can't make out if it's 6700 or 8700RPM- the latter would make for one smoken 7:thumbup:
It looks like there is an analog gauge for something other than speed and RPM, present 7’s make extensive use of info displays- This is supposed to be a high end luxury car
Did they take away the 2 Glasses draws and 2 cup holders? I am assuming there is an ashtray
It looks like the armrest is shorter because there is no I-drive controller so now where is the controls for the seats, there are 10 buttons and a knob for each seat

The shift buttons on the wheel are gone, paddles in their place. The engine will be the twin turbo out of the X6....
The 7 was designed more to be a drivers car this go around- BMW was upset when Audi could outperform the 7.
There will be high end info displays - the seat switch gear is going to be more like a Rolls.

The interior of this car in final form will resemble a lower end Rolls, the designers of the interior took a lot of info from the RR team. This chassis will be the basis for the newest rolls so much of the switch gear and basic layout will be the same.

Not all of this pictured interior is exact. CD changers in general are dead. The newest rendition of iDrive is much better and controls most things via voice command so the need for a keypad is useless. You could just say call John Doe mobile and the car does all the dialing.
Or just say the number.
You will be very surprised!:thumbup:

TMQ
04-22-2008, 12:32 PM
This is definitely much better than the current 7 series - shifter behind the steering wheel etc., it's more like an American car design. On the X5 the iDrive knob is to the rear right of the shifter. If it's right next to it, it really doesn't make sense.