PDA

View Full Version : Warranty Question - Control Arms-Bushings

Crnhskr80
04-20-2008, 06:49 PM
Are control arms and bushings covered under an extended CPO BMW warranty?

Hi Everyone...Fairly new owner of a CPO 2004 330cic with 55k on the dial and an extended 100k BMW CPO warranty. Just did the seasonal tire changeover and had asked for an alignment. Was told I need new front control arms and bushings. The changeover was completed at a tire store I have dealt with for 15 years and trust them. Called the BMW dealer and was told that they felt the tire store was trying to sell me something I didn't need. Taking the car to the dealer tomorrow for them to look at. Are the control arms and bushings covered under an extended CPO BMW warranty? The dealer is saying "not likely."

Thanks in advance to all. A great Forum.

Crnhskr80

simon325e
04-20-2008, 06:55 PM
yes they are. Light bulbs are not.

I will say that the CPO coverage isn't super-well documented and what one dealer will do versus another varies widely. Mine says a clutch is covered, other say no.

devarshi
04-20-2008, 06:58 PM
My control arms were not covered by my CPO. They consider it a "wear item". If they are destroyed by some other problem they may replace them, but they probably just wore out. They charged me about $220.

simon325e
04-21-2008, 06:15 AM
The maintenance warranty may have been what covered the bushings and brakes, not CPO.

Chris90
04-21-2008, 06:29 AM
CPO doesn't cover any suspension items, last I checked. It only covers the stuff that doesn't break.

SeanC
04-21-2008, 08:53 AM
then the question is, do the extended maintenance plan *which is not a warranty* cover these?

tturedraider
04-21-2008, 10:51 PM
yes they are. Light bulbs are not.

I will say that the CPO coverage isn't super-well documented and what one dealer will do versus another varies widely. Mine says a clutch is covered, other say no.

Wrong answer. No it doesn't. http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/CPO/Warranty/default.aspx?enc=/eiUrYOZAxtXbrazY6tfkoEZVBp+fK9rbB+LyvFZ2xkgPgaEtMt Dg997SwxWlR3E ; CPO coverage is, in face, quite well documented.

"Not Covered:

Wear and Tear
All wear and tear items as defined in The Certified Pre-Owned BMW Protection Plan Consumer Information Statement (including all suspension parts and components)."

The maintenance warranty may have been what covered the bushings and brakes, not CPO.

Extended Maintenance is not a warranty. It is extended maintenance.

then the question is, does the extended maintenance plan *which is not a warranty* cover these?

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Owner/BMWUltimateService/Maintenance.aspx

"For even more value, extend your plan for another 2 years or 50,000 miles.
When you purchase your BMW you can choose to upgrade your BMW Maintenance Plan for an additional 2 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first. This phase begins after the initial four year or 50,000 mile plan expires and it offers the same benefits and ownership value."

Extended maintenance can be purchased any time before the 4yr/50k mileage warranty/maintenance plan expires.

simon325e
04-22-2008, 06:06 AM
For the pedantic amongst us, the maintenance plan is not a warranty since it does not cover defective parts. It is however a guarantee that BMW will perform certain services and replace wear parts not covered under the original or CPO warranty.

The very good references above do not limit what certain dealers will do under the maintenance plan or CPO. For example, one dealer has told me they will not replace a clutch under the maintenance plan, but another has told they will. My point to the OP is that there is latitude in what is covered and it doesn't hurt to have a good relationship with your service advisor.

The distinction between the maintenance plan and CPO is important. Call a dealer with your VIN to find out what you have.

Incidentally, my front brakes and CABs were replaced under my maintenance plan at 62K miles.

SeanC
04-22-2008, 07:37 AM
tturedraider, thanks for the link.. even though I knew what was written there, and although it seems that these things are covered under ext. maintenance, I seriously doubt things like bushings will be covered.. Maybe a better question would be, has anyone done it before?

simon325e
04-22-2008, 12:00 PM
My control arm bushings were replaced under the maintenance plan as were the front rotors and pads. :thumbup:

LDV330i
05-05-2008, 12:07 AM
My control arm bushings were replaced under the maintenance plan as were the front rotors and pads. :thumbup:I just had my control arm bushing replaced and asked to pay for them, but the rear brakes were done under the extended maintenance plan. :dunno:

SeanC
05-05-2008, 08:01 AM
good to know, so it is doable.. I have the ext. maintenance plan until 3/11, so I will definitely push for having them replaced!

NateDawg607
05-05-2008, 08:29 AM
Very good advice throughout on the dealer relationship/discretion. Also if you tell your service advisor of the symptons, shimmy abover 50 mph, brake feel, etc. they might be more willing to fix problems that hinder drivability rather than walking in, and saying I need new controls arms.

With both the the warranty and maintainance plan I have found very little preventative planning, its always fix it after its broken. I have an 03 540 on the last 6 months of the extended, and gf has an 04 325 on the original warranty. I'm making sure I get my last brake job out of them.

The dealer seems to have been more energentic about taking car of the car in the first 50K rather than the last 50K, even after I pay my $50 deductable on the 540.

SeanC
05-05-2008, 09:12 AM
Very good advice throughout on the dealer relationship/discretion. Also if you tell your service advisor of the symptons, shimmy abover 50 mph, brake feel, etc. they might be more willing to fix problems that hinder drivability rather than walking in, and saying I need new controls arms.

Somewhat agree on your point. But given my experience with dealers, they probably wouldn't be willing to replace them under ext. maintenance, unless I explicitly mention that control arm bushings are a wear-tear item. You somewhat need to come over the top and make them feel like you know what you are talking about. A better attitude would be to first tell them about the symptoms, then indicate that you think it might be the control arm bushings, which is a wear-and-tear item to the best of your knowledge..

LDV330i
05-05-2008, 10:38 AM
Somewhat agree on your point. But given my experience with dealers, they probably wouldn't be willing to replace them under ext. maintenance, unless I explicitly mention that control arm bushings are a wear-tear item. You somewhat need to come over the top and make them feel like you know what you are talking about. A better attitude would be to first tell them about the symptoms, then indicate that you think it might be the control arm bushings, which is a wear-and-tear item to the best of your knowledge..The Maintenance Agreement explicitly mentions the bushings as the type of thing it does not cover.

SeanC
05-05-2008, 10:41 AM
The Maintenance Agreement explicitly mentions the bushings as the type of thing it does not cover.

And there goes my hopes! :(

LKNGOOD
05-05-2008, 10:45 AM
I have the Extended Maintance Plan (Dealership) and the Extended Warranty (3rd Party) and my CAB were replace under the Extended Warranty.

My deductable is $0.00 and i'm covered for 6yrs/100,000 for both.

sixkiller
05-06-2008, 07:19 AM
Somewhat agree on your point. But given my experience with dealers, they probably wouldn't be willing to replace them under ext. maintenance, unless I explicitly mention that control arm bushings are a wear-tear item. You somewhat need to come over the top and make them feel like you know what you are talking about. A better attitude would be to first tell them about the symptoms, then indicate that you think it might be the control arm bushings, which is a wear-and-tear item to the best of your knowledge..

To the point of control arm bushings, BMW is aware of the inherent defect in the design of the suspension. If your dealer chose not to replace it under warranty or an extended warranty could you call BMW and ask for assistance? They may probably be more willing to help you if you are the original owner. The only reason I mention this is my father's 04 V6 Accord had the tranny go out at 62k, out of warranty. They told my father it needed a new tranny at the tune of $4500. He called Honda Motor Company and explained the situation and mentioned "the reason I purchased a Honda was b/c this is not supposed to happen." In short, Honda put a brand new tranny in the car, not a rebuild, and gave him a loaner. Never hurts to ask....all they can say is NO.

SeanC
05-06-2008, 08:23 AM
To the point of control arm bushings, BMW is aware of the inherent defect in the design of the suspension. If your dealer chose not to replace it under warranty or an extended warranty could you call BMW and ask for assistance? They may probably be more willing to help you if you are the original owner. The only reason I mention this is my father's 04 V6 Accord had the tranny go out at 62k, out of warranty. They told my father it needed a new tranny at the tune of $4500. He called Honda Motor Company and explained the situation and mentioned "the reason I purchased a Honda was b/c this is not supposed to happen." In short, Honda put a brand new tranny in the car, not a rebuild, and gave him a loaner. Never hurts to ask....all they can say is NO.

Thanks for the post, but I guess it doesn't help in this situation. First, I was talking about CABs being replace under extended maintenance plan, which is supposed to cover most (if not all) wear and tear items, and it is not a warranty. It also does not have anything to do with being the first owner or not. Second, I think your dad got lucky when Honda replaced his transmission. That does not happen everyday and your dad's case is a mere exception. Third, we're dealing with BMW here, and they might not be as understanding as Honda.

Also I don't think I understand you when you mentioned about this inherent defect in BMW's suspension. Which suspension are you talking about? There are many suspension components and settings that are being used interchangeably depending on what packages and options the car has.

Keyser Soze
05-06-2008, 11:15 AM
they will cover the bushings on the factory 50k warranty, after that you are on yer own.

YOU CAN GET FREE WIPER BLADES THOUGH TILL 100k! WOOOOHOOO! ; )

LDV330i
05-06-2008, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the post, but I guess it doesn't help in this situation. First, I was talking about CABs being replace under extended maintenance plan, which is supposed to cover most (if not all) wear and tear items, and it is not a warranty. It also does not have anything to do with being the first owner or not. Second, I think your dad got lucky when Honda replaced his transmission. That does not happen everyday and your dad's case is a mere exception. Third, we're dealing with BMW here, and they might not be as understanding as Honda.

Also I don't think I understand you when you mentioned about this inherent defect in BMW's suspension. Which suspension are you talking about? There are many suspension components and settings that are being used interchangeably depending on what packages and options the car has.Had I known that the CAB were a "common" issue since there appear to be several threads on it I would have pulled the "goodwill card". I did not know I needed new CAB's until I took the car in for service.

A couple months ago my rear lights starting failing and realized they were shorting out. I did research here on BF and found out that this was a common issue that required the rear light clusters to be rewired and BMWNA had a TSB on it. When the dealer called to tell me it would be a $350 repair I asked my CA if BMWNA would provide "goodwill" help since I understood it to be a "common" problem. The CA did not even blink and said he would contact BMWNA right away. The entire bill was picked up by BMW. Please note that "goodwill" help is usually afforded only to "good" customers, in my case having had my cars service at the dealer exclusively for the past 9 years helped.