PDA

View Full Version : E46 M3 Coupe vs. Z4 Si Coupe ......

Coconutpete
04-22-2008, 10:36 AM
I used to be 100% that the obvious choice was the M3..... now I'm torn.

When looking in the $35K range: The two options I am considering are:

Around an 02' or 03' E46M3 Coupe 6MT w/ anywhere from 30 to 40K on the ticker.

2007 "ish" Z4 Coupe 3.0SI 6MT with .... idunno - maybe 20K on the ticker.

I will be driving my Wiggedy Volvo to and from work - call it ... Monday thru thursday so this vehicle will primarily be used Fri - Sun.

I do live in New England.... and while there's a 50% chance I will live in Florida by winter, there is that other 50%..... What will most likely happen is the vehicle will go into a rented garage and maybe go for a rare peek outside if the roads have been clear and the temperature bounces up a little....

epbrown
04-23-2008, 06:05 AM
Why the Z4 3.0si? For $35k, you can land an early Z4 M Coupe - someone on another forum just snagged one for mid-30s.

Both the M3 and Z4 would be drivable in winter with snow tires - they're only real issue is grond clearnance.

e36m34life
04-23-2008, 06:17 AM
I would go with the Z4M or the M3, definitely not the 3.0 Z4. If your considering either, im assuming your confident in being able pay for the insurance/maintenance and you will always be happier and prouder to own an ///M car, always.

Coconutpete
04-23-2008, 07:06 AM
I'm 28 so while insurance is going to go up, the jump is nowhere near as bad as it would have been when i was 23 .... And I'm prepared for the maintenance bills as well.

From what I have been snooping around it just seemed that the Z4M's seemed to be priced even higher, maybe I just haven't been looking in the right places.....

Power to weight calculations didn't seem that far off either when comparing the 3.0si to the M3... ?

kyfdx
04-23-2008, 07:46 AM
I'm 28 so while insurance is going to go up, the jump is nowhere near as bad as it would have been when i was 23 .... And I'm prepared for the maintenance bills as well.

From what I have been snooping around it just seemed that the Z4M's seemed to be priced even higher, maybe I just haven't been looking in the right places.....

Power to weight calculations didn't seem that far off either when comparing the 3.0si to the M3... ?

While the Z4M coupe would be better, I'd still take a newer Z4 3.0si over the older M3..

260 HP is going to be a hoot... Since you have a car with a back seat for other duties, I think the two-seater is the way to go.. With the warranty and maintenance intact for two or more years, it'll be a lot cheaper to own, I think...

One problem you might have... The lease deals and incentives were so good on the Z4M coupe, that they are a lot easier to find... I'm guessing the Z4 3.0si is a rare bird...

regards,
kyfdx

epbrown
04-23-2008, 08:26 AM
The 3.0si is a good car, and quick enough - it makes a better (and saner) daily driver than the Z4M. But last December the best price I saw on a new 3.0si coupe was $37,995; my new M Coupe was $37,998. It seems like thee's always a deal on an M that's close to pices on the 3.0si, if you look around. There's a black 2006 Z4MC near me for $40k and it's got Nav, heated seats, and the premium package; it's listed on Autotrader. They might be willing to negotiate.

Coconutpete
04-23-2008, 11:37 AM
kyfdx and epbrown:

OK, so I think I'm hearing you guys echo what I was thinking which is that an 02 or 03 e46M3 at thsi point is starting to become an "older" car and you could spend the maintenance money elsewhere .. right ?

What I'm surprised about is the following: Is the Z3 3.0SI coupe a "rarer" car than the Z4MC ??? In my searches i thought i found fewer M coupe's than SI's ???? The prices also seemed significantly higher on the M's.

epbrown
04-23-2008, 12:19 PM
What I'm surprised about is the following: Is the Z4 3.0SI coupe a "rarer" car than the Z4MC ??? In my searches i thought i found fewer M coupe's than SI's ????

The prices are close enough that most people go ahead and get the M, especialy with the incentives offered last winter. The 3.0si coupe isn't even offered in Canada - all they got is the coupe. So yeah, it might actually be more rare than the M Coupe, and there are only ~1700 of those in North America.

Chris90
04-23-2008, 12:25 PM
The 3.0si coupe also had big incentives, up to $5000 I think, and currently there are $3000 incentives on it.

Coconutpete
04-24-2008, 12:24 PM
Hm, well I wont' be buying it new so it'll be interesting to see how this translates down into the 1-2 yr old used market.