PDA

View Full Version : Sound system in the trunk?

Sylvan515
04-23-2008, 01:43 PM
I bought 2 subs and an amp to put in the back of my '94 325is...does anyone know and website that could tell me what panels to take off to route the wires back to the trunk and where the screws on those panels are? I'd rather install it myself rather than pay $400 to have someone else do it for me. Thanks in advance!

Jrowe
04-23-2008, 03:35 PM
I got my sub and amp installed had no wires nothing, It cost me only $174 For everything. Get some quotes from places it's not as expensive as you think. Labor is usually only $75.

Goodluck.

Sylvan515
04-23-2008, 04:07 PM
I live in a small town and not very many places nearby install car audio :( I called a place today and they charge $59 an hour :( I have the subs,amp,box,and wiring kit so the main time consumer would just be getting the panels off...thanks for the encouragement though haha

Jrowe
04-23-2008, 04:20 PM
Hmmm Well it took about 2-3 hours... but we had a few complications that delayed everything. I watched the guy do everything, do you need that hi/lo converter for your bmw? The panels come out by just taking of the screws and giving it a few good tugs. You run everything off the battery in your trunk.

Sylvan515
04-23-2008, 06:54 PM
I'm not sure what a hi/lo converter is

sillycar
04-24-2008, 11:09 AM
you don't need two subs esp. when you have the seats down but you do need two amps

anyways you get the fuse between your battery and your amp, most liekly you've changed the tape deck to an mp3 deck so you can use the rca cables to connect to the amps

the door and factory back speakers are already amplified so you'll have to run new wires to them and not take the ones from the deck

I opened up under the steering wheel to thread the rca cables along the door sill and then back to the trunk

I have 3 cables going back there so sometimes the bit along the bottom of the door will stick up but it's not a big deal, my panels fell off a while ago so my handle is just screwed on and I didn't change anything there

I've got 2 1000 watts amps, one for my 12" sub and the other for my speakers for my mid-high range ... sounds decent and I tightened my license plate as it was rattling

adrian25
04-29-2008, 10:31 AM
Its actually quite simple to install from the deck to amp in trunk. All you have to do is connect your ground and power cable in trunk. Power cable would connect to your +terminal and ground cable would go to any bolt in trunk. Release deck in front and open cubby hole,run rca's at back of deck and run it down the back of cubby along side passenger sills to the trunk. To get rca cables to trunk,clip the lower end of backseat of which will give you access to releasing bolts at backrest of seat to push cable through the loom!!!!