PDA

View Full Version : =/ Should I sell the E30?

jetter2
04-24-2008, 02:39 PM
:bawling:

I love, love, love my E30. It's just such a money pit!

I need a new drive shaft(I think...there is a thumping noise coming from behind the front seats, feels like something on/near/attached to the drive shaft), new clutch, new front suspension, new steering rack, gotta fix the AC, and fix a dent on the front right quarter panel.

I love having a 5spd convertible, and I even have a hardtop for it, but I am SERIOUSLY thinking about selling it, as opposed to fixing it up, then selling it in another year.

I have a few things I need to pay off, and in about another 8 months I am going to be in the ZHP market. I am just conflicted :bawling:

Do I sell the E30, keep my truck and pay everything off, start saving and get the ZHP this winter? I dunno if I have it in me to go a whole year without a BMW (even though I've driven the E30 like 2x in the past month)

I'm just very attached =/, it was the first car that I went out and bought back in the beginning of my career....not a question of if, just when it will be sold (gotta make room for a ZHP)

Thoughts?

Oh and it needs to have the seats recovered :(

Just Bryce
04-24-2008, 02:42 PM
The guibo is what is making that thumping noise, it's the flex disk (vibration damper) on your driveshaft. Don't let that small problem make you give up on your baby :thumbup:

pintnight
04-24-2008, 02:42 PM
I wouldn't put any more money into it. Just sell it.

Lanc3r
04-24-2008, 02:46 PM

I need a new drive shaft(I think...there is a thumping noise coming from behind the front seats, feels like something on/near/attached to the drive shaft), new clutch, new front suspension, new steering rack, gotta fix the AC, and fix a dent on the front right quarter panel.

I love having a 5spd convertible, and I even have a hardtop for it, but I am SERIOUSLY thinking about selling it, as opposed to fixing it up, then selling it in another year.

I have a few things I need to pay off, and in about another 8 months I am going to be in the ZHP market. I am just conflicted :bawling:

Do I sell the E30, keep my truck and pay everything off, start saving and get the ZHP this winter? I dunno if I have it in me to go a whole year without a BMW (even though I've driven the E30 like 2x in the past month)

I'm just very attached =/, it was the first car that I went out and bought back in the beginning of my career....not a question of if, just when it will be sold (gotta make room for a ZHP)

Thoughts?

Its a convertible. Same car that Kelley drove in Beverly Hills 90210. Enough said.

jetter2
04-24-2008, 02:47 PM
The guibo is what is making that thumping noise, it's the flex disk (vibration damper) on your driveshaft. Don't let that small problem make you give up on your baby :thumbup:

I've heard people tout that its everything from the Gubio, to the CSB, to U-joints(which would require a new drive shaft)

The steering rack + suspension + labor will be around $500, and I'm okay with that. Then I need to have a new clutch put in, but no way in hell I'm buying a $600 drive shaft.

Its a convertible. Same car that Kelley drove in Beverly Hills 90210. Enough said.

I love having a convertible, NOTHING beats driving thru downtown on a summers night with the top down dude...

That and I've had many sex stories in that car. I heard sex in car = car beaks down time

Elvis530i
04-24-2008, 02:48 PM
I miss my E30. :cry: I sold it for $1500 about six years ago. The money was gone almost overnight.

Garage it if you have to. Just hold onto it until you have the cash to fix it up, or learn how to fix it yourself.

jetter2
04-24-2008, 02:52 PM
Its gonna get a bath this weekend.

I mean if I work on it over the next 3 months, it will be back to where I want it.... I just hate seeing it sit there all sad cause it needs work

mgianetto
04-24-2008, 02:55 PM

Thoughts?

Those are the people you hid in the seats wanting a drink :eeps:

jetter2
04-24-2008, 03:21 PM
The Vehicle is garage kept, I rent a garage here @ the complex and the E30 perches inside, awaiting its time to get worked on. The Truck has covered parking. But when the ZHP comes to town, the E30 goes bye bye.

I guess I'll just keep her =]

Scott_H
04-24-2008, 03:31 PM
The steering rack + suspension + labor will be around $500, and I'm okay with that.

I'd say jump on that quote. More like $1500, unless it's your cousin Jim Bob installing junkyard parts.

Just Bryce
04-24-2008, 03:36 PM
The Vehicle is garage kept, I rent a garage here @ the complex and the E30 perches inside, awaiting its time to get worked on. The Truck has covered parking. But when the ZHP comes to town, the E30 goes bye bye.

I guess I'll just keep her =]

The E30 doesn't have to go :tsk: You might just need to locate some offsite storage.

I happen to have one E30 in the garage, another E30 in the driveway, and the awesome L6 stored at my buddies house, And coming from someone who is approaching 17 years married and 21 years together, don't EVER give in to any of her silly crap about one of those card must go :rofl::rofl:

jetter2
04-24-2008, 03:44 PM
I'd say jump on that quote. More like $1500, unless it's your cousin Jim Bob installing junkyard parts.

My old roomate owns a shop :thumbup:

Bmwcat
04-24-2008, 04:29 PM
I've heard people tout that its everything from the Gubio, to the CSB, to U-joints(which would require a new drive shaft)

The steering rack + suspension + labor will be around $500, and I'm okay with that. Then I need to have a new clutch put in, but no way in hell I'm buying a $600 drive shaft.

I love having a convertible, NOTHING beats driving thru downtown on a summers night with the top down dude...

That and I've had many sex stories in that car. I heard sex in car = car beaks down time
Eww....I'll forget about my offer for your car.. : puke::D

Stuka
04-24-2008, 04:41 PM
Its gonna get a bath this weekend.

I mean if I work on it over the next 3 months, it will be back to where I want it.... I just hate seeing it sit there all sad cause it needs work

My E30 is a money pit, and I want to get rid of it every time I have to pay 600 bucks for something (front rear pad and rotor job, shocks, guibo, half shaft, etc, and etc)...

And then I remembered that I have put over 120K miles on the poor thing.

Anyway, my point is, the only way an E30 is worth it is if you put crap load of miles on it to drive down the per mile cost. Otherwise, sell it.

Stuka
04-24-2008, 04:42 PM

Seriously, nice price. You can even buy your buddy a PS3 and still come out ahead.:rofl::yikes:

04-24-2008, 05:00 PM
That and I've had many sex stories in that car.

Did you write them down from the previous owner?

i keed

i keed

jetter2
04-25-2008, 06:13 AM
My E30 is a money pit, and I want to get rid of it every time I have to pay 600 bucks for something (front rear pad and rotor job, shocks, guibo, half shaft, etc, and etc)...

And then I remembered that I have put over 120K miles on the poor thing.

Anyway, my point is, the only way an E30 is worth it is if you put crap load of miles on it to drive down the per mile cost. Otherwise, sell it.

I dunno, I mean it's a love/hate relationship and I feel about like you do. Everytime ANOTHER $600 bill comes in, ya feel its just time to cut the losses and get rid of it.

But then you won't have an E30, and I love having my E30. I love driving it too, but I mean it already has 215k on the clock..I've had it 2 years, I know pretty much everything about the car, it just needs a few grand thrown into it.

Guess its time to get out the 'ol Check book :cry:

Bimmer ese
04-25-2008, 07:56 AM
Keep it. I parted out my old E30 back in Jan, and I miss it. Yes, they are money pits, but eventually, it will get to where everything (mechanically) has been repalced, and will be a solid, dependable car once again for many miles.

I miss my E30 so much, I've been looking through the papers again for another one.

Daniel

jetter2
04-25-2008, 12:32 PM
Lucky for me, I live in TX and there is an abundance of E30's.

Got the bill in today, gonna cost me ~$2800 to get EVERYTHING fixed.

It goes up for sale this weekend.

obmd1
04-25-2008, 12:37 PM
Lucky for me, I live in TX and there is an abundance of E30's.

Got the bill in today, gonna cost me ~$2800 to get EVERYTHING fixed.

It goes up for sale this weekend.

I was gonna make an offer before the sex stories part.... :eeps:: puke:

jetter2
04-25-2008, 01:04 PM
I was gonna make an offer before the sex stories part.... :eeps:: puke:

Top was down, she got nailed on the trunk. No body fluids ever spilled in the car.

She needs some TLC (as described above).

I think I'ma sell the hardtop by itself, those things just aren't being made anymore!

Flex
04-25-2008, 03:05 PM
jetter2,

My family had an E30. It was our first Bimmer. I loved it a lot...including getting my first speeding ticket with it. Like you I grew attached to it since I became the primary driver and hauled it around throughout my college days. Lots of fun times with that car. Brings lots of fond memories for me whenever I see one on the road.

I did my best to keep the maintenance up. But, eventually, it became too costly. Issues after issues mounted. So, the E30 was donated, much to my chagrin.

Although saddened, I was able to pony up some dough a few years after donating the E30 to get my current E46 ZHP. Based on my experience with the E30, I've learned to really take better care of my E46 and savor the experience as much as possible.

So, IMO, as painful as it may be, get rid of the E30 and move on to the E46 ZHP. You'll be as happy with the E46 as the E30. Both models, IMO, are fantastic and timeless classics.

Happy driving!

Flex

Stuka
04-25-2008, 03:08 PM
I would have to be a contrarian and say that the E30 driving experience is about 10 billion times better than the E46.

And I had an E46 M3.

E46 is much too heavy, much too insolated, and you just don't feel as connected to the car as you do the E30.

The only thing E46 has on the E30 is HP and modern electronic entertainment.

jetter2
04-25-2008, 03:29 PM
I've driven a few E46 ZHP's and really like the refinement. The E30 is a true drivers car, its a tight, tossable little machine and I love them to death, but I want to upgrade to something a little more modern and faster.

I refuse to own a E36. I think the E46 has a good balance, and even though they are porkish I prefer them MUCH to a E36 or E90.

She goes up this weekend