PDA

View Full Version : Know of a good place to wash my car in Santa Barbara?

twowinns
04-26-2008, 11:11 PM
I'm coming to my first Bimmerfest next weekend. After driving 1200 miles from the Seattle area to Santa Barbara, My car will surely need a good wash. Even though I won't be entering my car in any events, I don't want it to look bad at Bimmerfest.

Anyone know of a good place where I can get my car washed in the Santa Barbara area?

I'm not interested in a drive-through at a gas station or a hand-spray type wash - if I have a better choice. I don't mind paying a nice shop to clean it right by hand, or with extra care. I'm going to bring some waterless cleaning supplies (Griot's Speed Shine and Spray-on Wax), but they won't be as good as a thorough wash.

deafboy
04-27-2008, 12:25 AM
A lot of us will be washing our cars at the hotels... :)

I'd be interested to know of other places to wash it at though too...

twowinns
04-27-2008, 01:25 AM
A lot of us will be washing our cars at the hotels... :)

Do the hotels let you use their faucets and hoses? Do they charge?

Jayccel
04-27-2008, 09:55 AM
Good questions. I'll be in the same boat, ready for a wash after the trek.

deafboy
04-27-2008, 04:36 PM
Do the hotels let you use their faucets and hoses? Do they charge?

well they were just out in the open, so we used em. haha. The hose and flaucet was just sitting on the side of the hotel all hooked up with no signs or anything, so we just assumed we could use it :dunno:

Cliff
04-27-2008, 06:52 PM
Good questions. I'll be in the same boat, ready for a wash after the trek.

Are you staying at the Ramada with the rest of the PNW crew?

http://www.coates3.com/modules/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=9826

Jayccel
04-27-2008, 10:51 PM

http://www.coates3.com/modules/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=9826

Yessssir! That's where we'll be :)

Nice pic!

bimmernate
04-27-2008, 11:25 PM
Same deal with me. I'm probably just going to find some hand carwash place and have it cleaned on friday prior

twowinns
04-28-2008, 07:42 AM
well they were just out in the open, so we used em. haha. The hose and flaucet was just sitting on the side of the hotel all hooked up with no signs or anything, so we just assumed we could use it :dunno:

I'm at the Hampton Inn in Goleta. I'd love to wash it myself, if I spy a similar setup. Can't count on that though, so I'll still try to find a good car wash.

I wonder if a local detail shop would just wash it for me?

Keith
04-28-2008, 07:02 PM

:banghead: Now that wasn't wise and you know what I mean there Mister! :tsk:

Cliff
04-28-2008, 07:07 PM

Yeah, this whole thing is a big secret Keith. :rolleyes:

That photo (from 2 years ago) has been posted online before.

AndrewZ
04-28-2008, 07:21 PM
Yeah, this whole thing is a big secret Keith. :rolleyes:

That photo (from 2 years ago) has been posted online before.

Are you still not going Cliff?

Cliff
04-28-2008, 07:34 PM
Are you still not going Cliff?

No, I won't be going this year. I expected to be on a plane bound for Australia right now, but they're taking longer than expected to move the process along.

Steve in SB
04-28-2008, 11:02 PM
The full service carwash at hwy101 and Fairview in Goleta does a good job. We take our black Highlander there weekly. Does a better job than some "hand" car washes.

Jayccel
04-29-2008, 09:16 AM

Ok spill it. What are you guys talking about? :confused:

Cliff
04-29-2008, 10:16 AM

No idea. You'll have to ask Keith when you see him.

Keith
04-29-2008, 11:48 AM

PM sent.

Two3zz
04-29-2008, 02:38 PM
Hope I'm not out'a place here. Thinking about this thread, what should a basic travel Clean up/Detail kit contain? What do you guys like to bring along on a road trip? Also, anything you brought along on a past trip that you where soooo glad you did!

Keith
04-29-2008, 03:06 PM
Hope I'm not out'a place here. Thinking about this thread, what should a basic travel Clean up/Detail kit contain? What do you guys like to bring along on a road trip?

I take everything that I use at home.

Also, anything you brought along on a past trip that you where soooo glad you did!

Oh yeah, a faucet/valve splitter (so you can hook up two hoses) and a hose! :thumbup:

Two3zz
04-29-2008, 03:45 PM
I take everything that I use at home.

Oh yeah, a faucet/valve splitter (so you can hook up two hoses) and a hose! :thumbup:

You reminded me of a trip once to a Domestic meet. One of the guys had a bottom floor hotel room. He and a couple of others had the hose hooked to bathroom faucet, and out the window of the room wash'n their cars. :D

RO-330i-G35
04-29-2008, 11:56 PM
The full service carwash at hwy101 and Fairview in Goleta does a good job. We take our black Highlander there weekly. Does a better job than some "hand" car washes.

Yes, The Fairview Car Wash is one of the best I have been to.

Get the Platinum or the Titanium.

BruinGM
04-30-2008, 03:46 PM
I've washed it at

Old Fashioned Hand Car Wash
3535 State St.

It's pretty close to the fairgrounds and they've done a decent job the past few years I've taken my car in.

I would've this year, but I'm getting it detailed in SB this year, since I'll be heading up Tomorrow to endulge in some wine tasting in Santa Ynez.

Keith
04-30-2008, 07:49 PM
Yes, The Fairview Car Wash is one of the best I have been to.

Get the Platinum or the Titanium.

Good info, thanks. :thumbup: (not for me, but others might need to know)

twowinns
05-02-2008, 12:24 AM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm staying in Goleta, so I'll probably try Fairview. I'm not going to get it done until early Saturday morning, because....

Last night in Salinas, the hotel's lawn sprinklers went off, and put awful water spots on my car. By the time I went to my car this morning, the sun had baked the spots. I couldn't get them off with a waterless cleaner I had, so I took it to a hand wash place that did a great job.

Not 30 minutes later, the water sprinklers at a shopping center did the same thing (I always try to park in remote areas of parking lots to avoid getting "dinged"). I was so pis*ed :mad: I wasted $20 bucks.

There are no parking spots at my hotel in Goleta that are out of the way of the lawn spinklers, and I'm sure my car will get ruined again before Saturday.

SBBrian
05-03-2008, 01:00 AM
Wash-it-yourself places:
1. Daylee Carwash - Anacapa and E Cota least expensive and highest PSI Pressure washers in town. $1.75+(a block off Down Town State St)
2. Chapala and W Montecito $2+ (a few blocks from the beach)

Let someone else scrub my **** and go:
1. Turnpike Shell - 101 and Turnpike $7-$10
2. State St and S. Ontare $10+ (near Bimmerfest)

Wash and Dry it:
1. Educated Car Wash: State St and Hitcock right next to Jack in the box. $12+ (near Bimmerfest)

twowinns
05-03-2008, 08:11 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. Ultimately, I chose to go to Educated Car Wash. I saw a black e90 328i at a gas station yesterday and asked him where he had it cleaned. It looked spotless. Based on the way his car looked, I decided to use Educated this morning.

I got there around 7:00 am (they open at 8:00 am), and expected half the Bimmerfest attendees to be there waiting. To my surprise, I was the first one there. By the time they opened, only 4 other cars were there with me. By 8:15 am, they had approximately 20 cars in line. They have a good assembly line there, and I was on my way by 8:20 am.

Overall they did a decent job. Definitely better than going to Bimmerfest with a filthy car.