PDA

View Full Version : Hit a Curb!

Kzang
04-27-2008, 12:04 PM
So to avoid getting hit while an X5 was backing out in the parking lot, I swirved to the left which was lined with concrete parking curb which I ran over and heard a loud scraping noise. I looked under and nothing is leaking, alignment seems fine, drives fine, nothing unusual, however I got some good scratches underneath which I think looks like a control arm? Anyone know if this will need to be fixed? or is it ok to continue driving?

Pics below.

http://landsofkes.legendsofkesmai.com/community_files/Kzang/DSCN0381.JPG

http://landsofkes.legendsofkesmai.com/community_files/Kzang/DSCN0385.JPG

http://landsofkes.legendsofkesmai.com/community_files/Kzang/DSCN0383.JPG

djfitter
04-27-2008, 12:34 PM
No opinion on repairs, but great pictures. :thumbup:

dj

chicagofan00
04-27-2008, 12:45 PM
No opinion on repairs, but great pictures. :thumbup:

dj

+1. Can't comment on if it should be repaired, but those were some good pictures of the underside of the car!

Kzang
04-27-2008, 12:48 PM
LOL... I'm thinking that no repairs are needed. But I don't know exactly what I scraped.
If anyone could comment.

troybal
04-27-2008, 12:54 PM
That is a pretty mean scratch, I do not know enough to tell you to have it replaced.
Hopefully you will get some good advice here.
TR

djfitter
04-27-2008, 12:55 PM
LOL... I'm thinking that no repairs are needed. But I don't know exactly what I scraped.
If anyone could comment.

The one part that I think you are referring to a lower control arm appears to be chipped/chunked a little. Makes me wonder about the strength of the part. :dunno:

dj

ktc
04-27-2008, 12:58 PM
That looks more cosmetic than something that can really affect function or near-term reliability (ie: cracks, loss of stability, etc). Just from a mechanics standpoint, I doubt the loss of area is enough to exceed the design margins of the part. I don't know much about cars, but it seems like you got away pretty well for going over the curb.

Good luck!

dicor
04-27-2008, 12:59 PM
I'm not a mechanic, however it does not look cracked or bent.:dunno: If the car still tracks straight and does not pull or vibrate I think I'd let it be and have the mechanic look at it the next time you bring it in for service.
PS: Is your steering wheel level when your going straight?

Kzang
04-27-2008, 01:22 PM
Yeah my steering wheel is straight... I let it loose on a straight road and the steering doesn't move left or right and keeps a straight track.

No vibrations or anything different when driving. I see no leaks or cracks. Just a big scratch fromw hat I can tell. Just wanted to get another opinion.
I guess it would be safer to have a mechanic take a look at it though. I have an appointment tomorrow for some warranty work on my seats and I'll have them look at the scrapes too.

Thanks all for your comments.

Kzang
04-28-2008, 03:30 PM
Service advisor said that the mechanic checked it out and no worries.
Everything is fine :)

djfitter
04-28-2008, 03:50 PM

Lucky ya think? :D

dj

dicor
04-28-2008, 04:05 PM
Good Deal :thumbup:

Kzang
04-28-2008, 06:22 PM
Now I wonder if I will get charged when I return the car next year :)

Harryscarlot
04-29-2008, 05:45 AM
the one part that is scraped up is your sway bar and the silver aluminum part would be your lower control arm. as long as they are just scraped up and not cracked, it's all good. the sway bar is steel and can take a lot of abuse. just an FYI.:thumbup:

Kzang
04-29-2008, 06:24 AM
Thank you for the information and re-assurance! :)

e36m34life
04-29-2008, 06:28 AM

Wow good deal! :thumbup: Consider yourself lucky, curbs and cars usually don't mix too well.