PDA

View Full Version : Los Angeles-Mt. Wilson Meet

Ed103
04-28-2008, 12:45 PM
I want to see if anyone would be interested in getting together and having a drive up to the top of Mt. Wilson. This would be for anyone in the L.A. area who has a free afternoon or possibly late night.

We'd meet at the Angeles Crest Highway exit off of the 210, drive up and then we can either go to the top of the mountain or through the rest of the crest.

A day drive is very nice and relaxing. Not too fast, but with enough corners to be fun and keep you from getting bored. There are also a lot of good photo ops and some places to hike or chill (The picture in my signature is from the last time I went up).

If you're up for a night drive, we could do that too/instead. Same road, but a whole different feel. And since there are less families, minivans and tourists, it's a faster, crazier drive.

The night drive is a bit dangerous, and definitely only for those daring (see: stupid) enough. I personally know a guy who crashed his Evo up there at night, so it's serious. In the day though, it's more of a cruise.

This would all be after Bimmerfest, obviously. Maybe mid or late May. If you're interested, comment and/or let me know when you'd be up for it.

Ed103
05-05-2008, 04:23 PM
Bimmerfest is over, but the meets definitely need to go on!

Is anyone interested in this drive to the top of a mountain? I'm also thinking about the possibility of a regular meet somewhere in Los Angeles. If anyone has any ideas, let me know.

Expo BMW
05-06-2008, 08:54 PM
I'm in for a regular meet :thumbup:

Ed103
05-06-2008, 09:03 PM
I'm in for a regular meet :thumbup:

Cool, I definitely need to look around the forums and see if anyone else is doing anything or wants to get something started.

Any cool places you can think of?

WILSMILE
05-15-2008, 05:06 PM
If you're in for a canyon drive, there's Azusa canyon in Azusa. that has a lot of nice curve to entertain you. However, it has a lot of motorcycles on that road.

Ed103
05-20-2008, 08:33 PM
If you're in for a canyon drive, there's Azusa canyon in Azusa. that has a lot of nice curve to entertain you. However, it has a lot of motorcycles on that road.

Is it the road leading out of Azusa Ave.? That looks pretty good. Maybe a little bit shorter, but the reservior in the middle of it could definitely be interesting. I'm gonna check it out tonight. Maybe I'll have some pics to share later.

Ed103
05-21-2008, 09:01 AM

I went up last night with some friends of mine, and it was pretty cool. The road varies between super smooth and clean, to clean. It's a nice, long road with good corners throughout. Plus for some of the way, you're alongside a reservoir, which is pretty cool. Sadly, last night was very overcast, so even though it was a full moon, it was pretty dark. I will definitely be going up when it clears up. Probably next month with the next moon.

I found the road itself a bit strange, because I think it loops around, so there's more than one way to go to the same point. I need to look into that. Also, there's a state prison tucked away up there too. Quite interesting. And creepy. Hahaha...

We saw a group of Japanese imports, but no bikes. It was a weeknight though.

If anyone wants to come next time, do let me know. I'm thinking about making it a monthly/moon cycle thing.