PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive paint job - Maaco?

kbarrett
05-06-2008, 07:50 PM
I have an '87 325i that is losing it's original paint. Can anyone recommend an inexpensive paint job? Has anyone had any experience, good or bad, with Maaco?

Thanks

Expo BMW
05-06-2008, 08:43 PM
If you can save the original paint do it. I have never heard anything good from Maaco, you just might get what you pay for. I would check what kind of work they do and who did the work.

1bad540
05-06-2008, 09:14 PM
If your looking for a show paint forget maaco, If the car is worth close to nothing I would bring it for a maaco supreme. A decent respray will run you at least 3k

epbrown
05-06-2008, 09:44 PM
I saw a really nice paint job on a Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow that was done by Maaco. Most of any good paint job is prep and the owner and a friend removed all the chrome trim, glass, and lights and scuffed the car themselves, so that all Maaco had to do was shoot the paint. They had them do 3 coats of color and 2 of clear, then wet-sanded the car and buffed it once it was done. Quite nice.

Poor prep is typically the reason 1-day paint shop jobs are so poor - they make their money by using inexpensive paint and devoting pretty much no time to prep. (As a teen, I had my '73 Vega painted by Earl Schieb for $99 - they painted over a leaf that had fallen on the car! Seriously - they don't prep.) Work with them on that and you can get a decent paint job from them, cheap.

Expo BMW
05-06-2008, 09:59 PM
^^^ good advice