View Full Version : Inexpensive paint job - Maaco?

05-06-2008, 07:50 PM
I have an '87 325i that is losing it's original paint. Can anyone recommend an inexpensive paint job? Has anyone had any experience, good or bad, with Maaco?

Expo BMW
05-06-2008, 08:43 PM
If you can save the original paint do it. I have never heard anything good from Maaco, you just might get what you pay for. I would check what kind of work they do and who did the work.

05-06-2008, 09:14 PM
If your looking for a show paint forget maaco, If the car is worth close to nothing I would bring it for a maaco supreme. A decent respray will run you at least 3k

05-06-2008, 09:44 PM
I saw a really nice paint job on a Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow that was done by Maaco. Most of any good paint job is prep and the owner and a friend removed all the chrome trim, glass, and lights and scuffed the car themselves, so that all Maaco had to do was shoot the paint. They had them do 3 coats of color and 2 of clear, then wet-sanded the car and buffed it once it was done. Quite nice.

Poor prep is typically the reason 1-day paint shop jobs are so poor - they make their money by using inexpensive paint and devoting pretty much no time to prep. (As a teen, I had my '73 Vega painted by Earl Schieb for $99 - they painted over a leaf that had fallen on the car! Seriously - they don't prep.) Work with them on that and you can get a decent paint job from them, cheap.

Expo BMW
05-06-2008, 09:59 PM
^^^ good advice