PDA

View Full Version : Helmet requirement for Driving School - newbie

ronaries
05-06-2008, 10:03 PM
I am a new CCA member and planning to attend my first BMW driving school. My old open face helmet is out of the date range, which I understand to be Snell 2000.
I searched on this site for helmet info, but found none since 2002 - so please bear with me if my questions are repetitive of those asked earlier elsewhere.

What is the current Snell rating - does sa05 mean Snell 2005, or something else?
What are the advantages of different helmet styles? Is open face permitted still?
(In my Nissan experience, I heard that open face helmets were preferred in that air bag injuries were less extensive to the jaw when wearing a open face helmet. )

Is it reasonable to mail order /online order a helmet? Local selection sucks , so....
My previous helmet was a Bell, size large. Can I safely assume that a similar style Bell large will work - or is there reason to be cautious here?

Are any online /mail order dealers particularly known as good for helmet sales?

thanks for the help to this newbie!

Pinecone
05-07-2008, 06:59 AM
SA means Special Aplication, meaning auto use. M is for Motorcycle.

As for what is legal, it depends on the club, but an SA2000 will be fine everywhere. My racing helmet is an SA2000.

There was one article about air bags and closed face helmets, but overall, IMO, closed face protection outweighs the possible (no proof, just conjecture) disadvantages.

Yes you can mail order, and if a Bell Large fit fine before, it should fit fine now.

I use OG Racing (www.ogracing.com) for my safety gear, track day as well as racing.

ronaries
05-07-2008, 09:54 PM
Thanks for help! I'll check out OG.