PDA

View Full Version : help me buy my first car

sharansr
05-07-2008, 02:11 PM
Hey everyone,
I am student getting ready to buy my first car.

I test drove a few cars which included a 2002 BMW 325Ci, however i opted out of buying this since everyone advised me against it as it had 100,000 miles on it.
Thanks to everyone who responded to my previous post advising me not to buy that BMW for $10k. I will wait for the right time to buy me a new Bimmer :)

However now I am in a fix yet again and am kinda in a desperate situation since i need a car within a couple weeks time.

I am primarily considering either a 2003-04 Honda Accord (4 cylinder) with 65-70,000 miles for around $10,500.

There is a 2002 Lexus ES300 for the same price and 70,000 miles on it.

I am confused as to whether its safe going for a 6 cylinder luxury car vs a 4 cylinder NEWER accord, considering the gas prices and maintainence etc.

The lexus has a pretty decent gas average too when compared to an accord, however I fear the maintainence costs might be higher, also the fact that the car is already 6 years old, whereas the honda would be only about 4 years old.

PLEASE HELP..thanks

Stevej2001
05-07-2008, 03:27 PM
both of those cars should be excellent transportation. As for the prices-- compare to Edmunds.com. If you like BMWs you'll like Honda more than Lexus. While not sporty, the Accord is more fun to drive than the Lexus.

erdoran
05-07-2008, 03:51 PM
I have an '03 Accord exl with navi with 80K miles on it and I would highly, highly recommend this model car. It is the best car I have ever owned as far as reliability and gas mileage. Mine is 4 cylinders, and I get 25-30 mpg driving some freeway and a lot of heavy suburban traffic. I've had zero repairs, just replaced battery & tires after about 3 yrs and I think I've done front & back brakes once each. I am scrupulous about maintenance however. It drives well, handles great--can't say enough good things about it!

also keep maintenance cost in mind, the Lexus will no doubt cost a lot more for maintenance & service.

I haven't looked up actual value--check out kbb.com and edmunds.com for that, and be sure to run a carfax on it too.

BMWFM1
05-07-2008, 08:02 PM
also keep maintenance cost in mind, the Lexus will no doubt cost a lot more for maintenance & service.

+1
Go with the lowest mileage and lowest maintenance cost. i.e. Honda. Make sure you get some kind of warranty from the dealer though. Likely the Honda is out of original warranty.

Since you are on a budget and likely young, also consider the insurance costs. If for basic transportation, you may consider a smaller model or even Korean.

Don't worry, your time will come for a BMW. Good luck!

iwanna330cic
05-07-2008, 09:09 PM
Get the Honda - but check the maintenance documentation. If none, talk with them about changing the timing belt - might be fine.... might be time.

Doug

erdoran
05-08-2008, 05:45 AM
You can get a free online insurance quote from companies like geico.com and progressive.com without even calling, and before you buy anything. You can do this for either of these cars, as well as any others you are considering, so you can accurately compare insurance costs. I was pleasantly surprised that my Z4 cost about the same as my Accord to insure (which was actually reasonable, some of the other cars I was considering were much more expensive). For me, things like insurance cost and mpg factor into any car-buying decision--maybe not the final determinant, but still important to understand.

BMWFM1. I'll bet that Honda is private party, price is a bit low for dealer unless it's base model with nothing on it!