PDA

View Full Version : Which BMW for young Student?

germanasian
05-08-2008, 10:23 AM
Good morning bmw community,
i have been debating which bmw would suit me better? Should I finance or lease a new 2008/9 3-series or does an older e90 make more sense to own. My parents are more these all payment at once, cash type of person.
Are there any downsides on an used 325i 2006?

Tesla
05-08-2008, 10:49 AM
Ugh, if only some people could form a coherent sentence.

Just get a late e46.

germanasian
05-08-2008, 10:58 AM
Argh coherent huh? My highest apologies. German born chinese, first year in america.^^ I try my best Sir Tesla. Are there any reasons why a late e46 would be good?

Desiboy
05-08-2008, 03:01 PM
I have to agree with Tesla, at least on the late e46 portion. The grammar nazi-ism isn't necessary though. I'd go with a used 2005 330i over a 2006 325i, but you can't go wrong either way.

kjboyd
05-08-2008, 03:20 PM
how young a student? how 'bout a nice buick or chevy, something that wont cost you and arm or a leg or get you killed showing off to your friends.

Linh
05-08-2008, 03:36 PM
I'm asian too and I lived in germany for 9 months. Do the asian thing and get a used model. Since you're young and a current college student. I got me a 2005 x3 and paid it in cash and now I don't have to worry about car payments just gas payments lol.

Nothing against owning a new model just wait til you have the dough for it. Don't go into debt for a car.

1985mb
05-08-2008, 04:39 PM
Honda Civic?

I mean that sincerely....it's close to being the perfect car for a young student.

IMHO, FWIW, $.02, etc etc

Maximus57
05-08-2008, 05:01 PM
Telling a student to buy a BMW is just crazy. Hell, why not a Porsche? A Honda, Toyota or Mazda would end up being a better car for a student. If you have enough money to support the BMW, just do it.

Tesla
05-08-2008, 06:08 PM
Argh coherent huh? My highest apologies. German born chinese, first year in america.^^ I try my best Sir Tesla. Are there any reasons why a late e46 would be good?

I'll forgive you for that seeing as how you are foreign born. (I saw that you were in socal and assumed you were just some punk teenager)

But anyway I figure your parents are buying this car for you since very few students can afford a relatively new bmw. The e46 by the end had probably most of the kinks worked out and is a fine car.

Personally I'm a grad student and my 323 gets me by fine. Sure it has some dings in it but I'm in a college setting so I cant keep everything pristine.

ktc
05-08-2008, 06:45 PM
(I saw that you were in socal and assumed you were just some punk teenager)

:rofl: :slap:

Get a '08 M3 and get it over with. Take full advantage of the help you're getting from your folks while you still can! :p

MTech8
05-08-2008, 06:45 PM
If you can afford it, 2009 all the way. (I'm guessing you are in this category since your parents are the "all cash" type of people)

But if your on the borderline, then it depends how young of a student you are.

If you're highschool, I'd go with the 2006 325i. You won't want to drive something too showy. Not that a 2006 325i isn't showy. It's just less than the 2009. Plus you can save more money. By the time you are joined the workforce and made some $$$, you can buy the model that will replace the current E90/E91's.

But if you're in college, I'd go for the 2009 3-series. Definitely not the 2008's though. Too many changes with the 2009 model to make getting the 2008 now not a great choice (no offense to any out there that got a 2008. The 2008 is still a great car, but I really think the new changes will make it even better). You'll have something nice to drive through college and for the first few years in the workforce (without it's styling looking too out-dated).

Just my 2cents

maxkpp
05-08-2008, 06:52 PM
I vote for an E30.
It a good start to learn about BMWs.

germanasian
05-08-2008, 09:38 PM
I am turning 20 pretty soon, i totally agree with everybody buying a honda civic is fine for a student. To me, I wouldnt like to see myself still driving the same small compact car and have to look after 5 years for a new car.
I am personally not the show off kind of person because, majority of my friends drive top of the line cars including M3's.

chicagofan00
05-08-2008, 09:50 PM
I am turning 20 pretty soon, i totally agree with everybody buying a honda civic is fine for a student. To me, I wouldnt like to see myself still driving the same small compact car and have to look after 5 years for a new car.
I am personally not the show off kind of person because, majority of my friends drive top of the line cars including M3's.

Not surprising about your friend's cars seeing as how you are in SoCal. The same can be said for here in Scottsdale. Anyways, if your parents are paying for the car and have no problem buying the Bimmer, by all means go for it and get a new one! If you are paying for it yourself, no need to get into too much debt at such an early age, go for the older model for now and upgrade later on.

Z4 Steve
05-09-2008, 12:19 AM
Kaufen Sie etwas, das innerhalb Ihres Etats ist. Ihr ist kein Grund, ganz flashy zu sein. Sie sind ein Kursteilnehmer. Safe Ihr Geld, erhalten gute Grade, graduieren und kaufen dann ein nettes Auto.

Buy something that is within your budget. Their is no reason to be all flashy. You are a student. Safe your money, get good grades, graduate and then buy a nice car.