PDA

View Full Version : Paging Chipster!: P21S carnauba vs. Griots Carnauba

Guest84
12-25-2001, 02:49 PM
Well, as they say, its not the wax itself but the preparation of the surface. Personally, I could not tell the difference in the Griots carnauba vs the P21S, although I do have to say that the P21S paint cleaner is indeed a miracle surface prep drug in itself. Very pleased with the P21S products, and the P21S carnauba seemed to apply easier than the Griots due to its silky smooth ingredients. So I probably will stay with just the P21S Paint cleaner and the P21S Carnauba...but continue to maintain the car with all other Griots finish products (Speed shine is one of my favorites, combined with Machine Polish #3)

This time around I did everthing by hand rather than the Porter Cable...due to unfamiliararity with the P21S products, I feel secure I could use them with the Porter Cable next time around.

The Paint cleaner comes off very easy, even if you let it dry to a haze...but the Wax you should remove before it dries (As recommended) as it tends to be just a tad tougher to remove after it completely dries, as any Carnauba will.

Temperature was about 48 deg. when applying all products. Sorry about the 640 res pics, its the best my digi-camcorder can do.

Bottom line: I think both waxes are great, and as I've always said, preparation of the surface is more important than the finish wax itself, and application of there within. Polymers will outlast Carnauba's but if your car is garaged at night and you enjoy applying a coat of wax every 3-4 months, Carnauba, any high end type, is the way to go.

Enjoy!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid28/p3fa5b99a08795e00a53c6680097a1498/fe0df182.jpg.orig.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid28/pf6cd9defa008a933a39d8fdab41ae073/fe0df181.jpg.orig.jpg

hts
12-25-2001, 03:53 PM
(I wonder why Suga' Shane couldn't get my black 330i lookin' like yours? Must've been his $2.99/tin Rain-X from Wal-mart, hee-hee).

;)

Guest84
12-25-2001, 04:50 PM
LOL Hts...actually, thats after $34.00 worth of products, done by hand...$24 for the P21S carnauba and $10 for the P21S Paint cleaner..I tend to be a frugal type ma-self!

wickeduro
12-25-2001, 05:07 PM
Ahhh, a clean black car!! So nice to see. Instead of getting into the products, Im interested in your application. Ive been waxing/polishing by hand for years now, and think its time to make the jump to a buffer. When you use a buffer, which one do you use? How much does it cut down on aplication time? I spend about 6-7 hours on a exterior detail.

Al D.

Alex Baumann
12-25-2001, 05:17 PM
Hey Rip,

beautiful shine, it looks PERFECT ! Xcellent job buddy!

Merry X-Mas

Alex

Guest84
12-25-2001, 07:48 PM
Thks Alex! Back at 'cha bro!

Wicke:
By hand, it took me about 6-7 hours for the following:

~Washed 2-bucket method with Dawn to remove Dealer wax
~Washed 2-bucket method with Griots car wash, rinsed
~Clayedbarred using Detail spray for lubricant long with the rinse water, then rinsed after claybarring.
~Dried with CWB and Chamois
~Fine Hand polish and remove
~1 coat Griots Carnauba

Now, with a Porter Cable model 7424, the time didn't really cut down that much, 5-6 hours total time, but the difference in the shine was something that made me stand back and wonder why I've been finishing cars by hand over the years! Some remove the polish and wax with the Porter Cable, but I still prefer to do that portion by hand.

~Washed 2-bucket method with Dawn to remove Dealer wax
~Washed 2-bucket method with Griots car wash, rinsed
~Clayedbarred using Detail spray for lubricant long with the rinse water, then rinsed after claybarring.
~Dried with CWB and Chamois
~Machine Polish #3 appilied by Porter Cable Orbital and removed by hand.
~Griots Carnauba appilied by Porter Cable Orbital and removed by hand.

Bottom line: Porter cable will shave alittle time but the true pay-off is the luster of the finish, elimination of swirls that make the Porter Cable something to use a couple times a year.

Mike 325xi
12-25-2001, 08:02 PM
Damn Rip!! That's an amazing shine!! The car looks great... :cool: :cool:

Is it worth it for 2 days of sunshine a year?? j/k! :D

Guest84
12-25-2001, 08:33 PM
Mike, we've had 4 days in a row of sunshine, thus, my web feet are starting to culture back to normal!

Mike 325xi
12-25-2001, 08:42 PM
4 days!! You might have to invest in a good pair of sunglasses!!

I suggest Maui Jim's :cool:

Guest84
12-25-2001, 08:51 PM
I usually wait til January after 2 weeks of rain, then the Ray Bans sell for about $20 a pair in this part of the country! ;)

Mike 325xi
12-25-2001, 09:10 PM
LOL! I guess you don't get much use for them!

I just checked out your squadron homepage...very cool Colonel...very cool...

Guest84
12-25-2001, 09:37 PM
Thks Mike! I'm actually in touch with the original VMF-323 CO when the squadron formed in 1943..he's about 85 yrs old and still kicking in Florida...

Fun sim, fun learning history, upholding it for future generations. Maybe if we can learn one thing about the past by teaching it, then we may prevent it again.

ALEX325i
12-25-2001, 09:49 PM
I hope I can get similar results after investing almost ~$80.00 in Zaino products... ;)

Guest84
12-25-2001, 09:57 PM
I'm sure you will Alex! I haven't found a disappointed Zaino customer yet!

ALEX325i
12-25-2001, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Ripsnort
I'm sure you will Alex! I haven't found a disappointed Zaino customer yet!

Oh, I'm sure Zaino does a good job, but me as a detailer...:confused: Plus, CB and swirl marks scare the $h!t out of me...

Well, I guess we'll see in two weeks. ;)

PS: Just so I know in case I screw up bigtime... How would you like a paid trip to FL?:D

alee
12-25-2001, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by ALEX325i
PS: Just so I know in case I screw up bigtime... How would you like a paid trip to FL?:D

Once you're done with him, send him up my way to demo his Porter Cable skills on my baby!

-Al

Mike 325xi
12-25-2001, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by alee

Once you're done with him, send him up my way to demo his Porter Cable skills on my baby!

-Al

I have to say Al...he may give you a run for your money in the shine department...Rip's car looks great!

How were your holidays? Did your parents give you the hard time about the car like you were expecting?

Mike 325xi
12-25-2001, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Ripsnort
Thks Mike! I'm actually in touch with the original VMF-323 CO when the squadron formed in 1943..he's about 85 yrs old and still kicking in Florida...

Fun sim, fun learning history, upholding it for future generations. Maybe if we can learn one thing about the past by teaching it, then we may prevent it again.

That is cool that you keep in touch with him Rip...they were definitely a special generation of Americans.

I'm sure you have the privilage of working with many ex fighter jocks at Boeing...I have worked with quite a few over the years at Lockheed.

One of these days I'll have to tell you about one who was one of the original Tuskegee airmen. I worked with him at GE aerospace before we became LM...he has an amazing story of being shot down by shrapnel from a train that he was strafing that blew up causing him to fly through the debris...thus shooting himself down...he was badly injured and a POW, luckily the war was only months from the end...

Chipster
12-26-2001, 08:35 AM
Hey Ripsnort......

Sccchhhhhwwwwwweeeeeeeetttttttttt.

That has got to be one of the best shines I have seen. You are so right about surface prep. I learned long ago when I was painting jetskis for friends that surface prep is the key to an awesome finished product.

My next wax job is not until March or so. How is the P21S paint cleaner different from a maching polish. Don't they basically do the same thing?

Guest84
12-26-2001, 09:00 AM
Very cool Mike! Met one of the TAM here in Seattle some years back, he join us at one of our WW2 Online Conventions...

ALex, thats the exact same ? I put forth to Dave at "The Wax Test" and he said they too all use Griots Machine Polish 3 first, then the Paint cleaner, as the Machine polish will remove the larger, more broadspread swirls and the Paint Cleaner will bring out the shine in the polished clear coat...or so he says. Like I said, I didn't polish this time around, I had done so in late Sept, and I only like to polish 2 times ayear. It has some voodoo magic in it, dave said...I agree!

Thks for the offer in FL! :) I might take you up on it! hehe!

Alee! Heres the link for proper use of PC, hope you have something other than a 56k connect. ;)
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/porcab74ulde.html

alee
12-26-2001, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Mike 325xi
How were your holidays? Did your parents give you the hard time about the car like you were expecting?

Well, after my parents "got over" the 2 door issue (took them a while), they were very well behaved.

The holidays were surprisingly tame this year... I think my parents have given up on trying to shape their son. :)

-Al

Mike 325xi
12-26-2001, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by alee

Well, after my parents "got over" the 2 door issue (took them a while), they were very well behaved.

The holidays were surprisingly tame this year... I think my parents have given up on trying to shape their son. :)

-Al

You're such a rebel!!! :rolleyes: