PDA

View Full Version : How much do you care about getting the best possible price?

erdoran
05-08-2008, 05:36 PM
There's a stereotype of luxury car owners calling up the dealership and ordering a car and pretty much taking whatever price is offered--as in "it isn't worth the time & aggravation to haggle!" Then there's the "millionaire next door" who clips coupons and drives a hard bargain....and the extreme is a guy I work with who spent 8 hours haggling over getting an additional $100 off his new Santa Fe (even I can't believe that one!). and there's the middle ground--if the price is somewhere between sticker & invoice that's fine, it doesn't really matter too much where "somewhere" is.

Which category do you fall into? And feel free to post comments besides, or just fill out the poll anonymously if you prefer!

cozia83
05-09-2008, 07:39 PM
After a month of trying to find a decent deal in VA, I gave up and went with the Costco deal from an Ohio dealership. I know I could have probably gotten it maybe $300 less, but the easy experience with Kelly BMW in Columbus made it worth it.

SC4ME
05-09-2008, 09:06 PM
I dont mind spending more money for a an item with value. I got about $1500 off but really, if you finance then there isnt much difference in then monthly payment plus or minus a grand or so on the total bill.

Flex
05-09-2008, 09:52 PM
Regardless of the type of purchase (car, house, merchandise, etc), haggling has it's limits for me. It's one thing to save money and prevent being ripped off. Yet, I will not spend excessive amount of time trying to squeeze that additional penny or three.

chicagofan00
05-10-2008, 11:02 AM
Regardless of the type of purchase (car, house, merchandise, etc), haggling has it's limits for me. It's one thing to save money and prevent being ripped off. Yet, I will not spend excessive amount of time trying to squeeze that additional penny or three.

+1

SouthernHero
05-11-2008, 03:24 PM
A penny saved is a penny earned. Coupons, haggling, picking pennies up off of the floor... I'm that guy. Oi vay.

85mm
05-11-2008, 04:06 PM
I wish my parents spent more time teaching me how to make money than save money. My last two cars I realized I spent too much time getting a good deal even though I do like looking at and reading up on cars. When I had a base salary I'd try to get the best deal I could on everything. With a family and business I like to read up on what the current deals are than shoot for somewhere between msrp and invoice. I will likely try cartelligent on the next new car.

mclaren
05-11-2008, 07:44 PM

+2

No12
05-11-2008, 08:11 PM

+3

mistercindy
05-12-2008, 05:55 AM
+4

Well put.

When I ordered my 328i coupe last week I knew there wasn't much give on the price. When we were talking about the sedan they were willing to haggle over this & that usually up to 3% or so of MSRP. The same was true of any certified pre-owed car (coupe or otherwise). But not with new coupes, and I heard that from three dealerships in the Dallas area. Not many coupes are sold, very few are in inventory, even fewer manual coupes are sold, and even fewer manual 328i coupes are sold, and they know it. That, and there just aren't that many manual coupes available as certified used cars out there. I'm going to pay right at MSRP but the dealer is throwing in a couple of things that'll amount to a few hundred dollars.

1985mb
05-12-2008, 03:49 PM

+5

1985mb
05-12-2008, 04:06 PM
+4

Well put.

When I ordered my 328i coupe last week I knew there wasn't much give on the price. When we were talking about the sedan they were willing to haggle over this & that usually up to 3% or so of MSRP. The same was true of any certified pre-owed car (coupe or otherwise). But not with new coupes, and I heard that from three dealerships in the Dallas area. Not many coupes are sold, very few are in inventory, even fewer manual coupes are sold, and even fewer manual 328i coupes are sold, and they know it. That, and there just aren't that many manual coupes available as certified used cars out there. I'm going to pay right at MSRP but the dealer is throwing in a couple of things that'll amount to a few hundred dollars.

Not sure what these "couple of things" are .... floormats and something else?

Either way, when I said +1 to Flex's comments, I didn't think he was talking about paying MSRP or a couple hundred off

mistercindy
05-13-2008, 08:12 AM
Not sure what these "couple of things" are .... floormats and something else?

Either way, when I said +1 to Flex's comments, I didn't think he was talking about paying MSRP or a couple hundred off
Floormats (one set carpeted and one set all weather), and tinting. Around $400 or so.

There was no other movement on ordering manual coupes at any of the three Dallas area dealerships I visited.

erdoran
05-21-2008, 09:01 AM
bump

brkf
05-21-2008, 11:08 AM
On my Cooper I didn't push hard as the car has extreme resale. On a commodity item like a BMW, yeah, I'll work it hard. No way am I going to let a dealer make much off me if the car's gonna be worthless right after purchase.

gokartmozart
05-26-2008, 06:03 PM
On the M Coupe, I went in trying to get the best deal since this was to be my first brand-spankin' new car. I knew exactly what I wanted, so I didn't want to accept just any M Coupe on the lot discounted heavily, which i could have found. I knew I had to order it since there were no Alpine White MCs with red interior for sale in January 2008 and the model was winding down. And Id heard a small town dealership 100 miles away had a rep for giving great prices on new.

Researched the best price for new on bimmerfest I could find and offered $2000 off MSRP, they said okay and I ordered via email. A month later it arrived and Im happy that I got a good deal, if not exactly the BEST deal, but the best in my situation for this particular ordered vehicle.

For my wife's 2005 530i, I let her negotiate at her request and she got it at $3500 below Edmunds stated value, and has been driving a new 335i for 10 days while it gets ready (they are really backed up in prepping apparently). Oh, and we got the 2.9 APR incentive plus first two months payments from BMWFS paid for.