PDA

View Full Version : Replacing rear Pilot Sports- do I need to match fronts?

peterj02460
05-12-2008, 05:09 PM
I need to replace my rear Michelin Pilot Sports. The front tires still have decent tread and do not need to be replaced yet. Do I have to stick with Pilot Sports in the rear or can I put a different tire in the rear? I am looking at General Exclaim UHP's for the rear, on Tirerack they are $93, the Pilot Sports are $220!

BmW745On19's
05-12-2008, 05:16 PM
Lol @ you wanting to buy crappy general tires.

If you're worried about price of the tires, buy a Geo Metro.

Either buy the best or don't buy at all.

But if you must go cheap, get Kumhos. They are very good tires for the money.

e30e
05-12-2008, 05:53 PM
X2 for kumho's, my experience has been I replace the rears then replace a whole set. Basically I end up buying 2 tires and then all 4 tires the next time around. People have had similiar experiences with tire and tread life. Pilots and other expensive tires are amazing on these cars but I can't justify spending $200+ on a tire that lasts just as long as $120 and is a little louder on road noise. A good tire shop like Discount Tire most likely will tell you the tread life left on your fronts when you replace the rears and can give you a suggested timeline on when to replace them.

Bruce
05-12-2008, 06:27 PM
Do not mix tires....I did it once and the car was down right scary to drive on the highway (white knuckles).

peterj02460
05-12-2008, 07:04 PM
Admittedly I am a new BMW owner so any and all advice is appreciated. My thinking on purchasing the General Exclaim UHP's is the great ratings they were given on Tirerack by customers who have purchased them, and by the test results of Tirerack themselves. The Exclaim rated 1st out of 44 Ultra High Performance tires for survey results of people who had bought them. If they are close to the Pilot Sport in performance at less than half the cost, why not?

e30e
05-12-2008, 11:29 PM
Not to be a dick, you get what you paid for and people who are cheap usually drive crappy cars too. So getting a great deal on tires on a crappy car is probably going to result in great responses from cheap people. Surveys results could mean piss. Do you know anyone personally that has car experience and tire experience that you can trust? I would take one person's advice that I knew personally over what a survey says especially on the internet. Now I know you asked for advice but you got good advice from the posts already made, I honestly would not recommend anything made by general since I used to work with tires but thats me.

fun2drive
05-13-2008, 09:43 AM
I understand trying to save some money and get a good performing tire.
However I put Kuhmo's on my M3 and regret it. The rear side wall split at 18K and the tires are so loud I can't hear the radio at low speeds.
I put Michelin Pilots back on the rears and have two new ones to put on the front when I get back to Florida. Noise level subjectively is 1/2 what it was.
My advice is to break down and buy the Michelins.
My last set made 38K and this set will most likely make that too.
For the record my Kuhmo's were wearing fine but the noise is impossible to live with....

There is a reason that Michelin made this tire specifically for the M3, it does work well...

chrisria
05-16-2008, 03:30 AM
I have had Ecsta's on my 325is for some time and find them to be great tires! A perfect balance of characteristics regardless of cost.Anyone who thinks if I spend more I get more is Short sighted and can't have alot of experience with different tires. On my M3 I currently have Sumitomo's HZR Z II's and so far so good,let get a few more miles before a final critique.

giantkeeper
05-16-2008, 11:15 AM
I have Pilot Sports, Kumho Ecsta SPT's, and General Exclaims. First choice is the PS's, but on the cheaper route I would absolutely recommend the Kumho's.

BTW, General Exclaims do not compare to Pilot Sports in any way shape or form.

Pinecone
05-17-2008, 07:32 AM
Mixing tire brands and models front and rear turns you into a test driver. And you may not have the final test conditions until trying to avoid and accident and find you car has snap oversteer or MASSIVE understeer and you crash.

Are you willing to take that chance?

Either put Pilot Sports on the rear or buy 4 new tires.

peterj02460
05-18-2008, 06:31 PM
I purchased 4 Toyo Proxes TR1's. I really like them so far.