PDA

View Full Version : Sat. radio antenna question

dicor
05-14-2008, 04:52 PM
Yep another sat radio question. I have Sirius sat radio, the S50 to be exact. It is a unit that can be plugged in to a car dock or home dock and can be used similar to an IPOD. It works just fine but I'm using the magnetic mount antenna the Sirius car dock came with. My question is: 'Is there any way to tie into the shark fin to eliminate the magnetic mount Sirius antenna?'. This would be for looks only.

Before I get a deluge of people advising me to activate the built in Sat radio let me say the S50 automatically records the programs I listen to and allows me to replay them whenever I want to.
Also for those that are waiting in the wings to jump down my throut with their "don't you know how to use the search program" rant. I tried, found many sat radio post but nothing about this in particular, maybe there is one but I could not find it.
Thanks in advance.

spydrz
05-14-2008, 04:59 PM
X3's have shark fins?
Anyway, it's probably not very feasible. The FAKRA connectors are all in the trunk, so getting them extended up to the front where your portable radio is could be difficult.

dicor
05-14-2008, 05:08 PM
Do you suppose the shark fin would be compatible with the S50 portable unit. I know this may be a difficult question to answer but perhaps all sat antennas are the same, I don't know. If it's simply a matter of splicing into the sat antenna line it may not be too difficult.

spydrz
05-14-2008, 05:23 PM
The antenna *should* work, it's the connector that might be a problem. If you can find the FAKRA connections, somewhere in the left rear trunk area, you might be able to get it to work. But there's no way that wire will reach to the front of the car. I don't know of any options to lengthen it, but I imagine it can be done.

I've installed factory Sirius in an E53 and an E39, and I had it in my E90, so I've seen the different systems...you might want to cross-post this in the Audio/Electronics forum for more help.

dicor
05-14-2008, 05:47 PM
Does the shark fin contain 2 separate antennas FM/AM and Sat. with a cable for each? Or is it one antenna with one cable?

spydrz
05-14-2008, 05:57 PM
The radio antenna cables won't be loose in the rear compartment...there's definitely a separate cable for the Sirius. I'll try to find a pic of the FAKRA connector.

What model are you talking about here? It'll help me find the right wire.

dicor
05-14-2008, 06:06 PM
Thanks I got a 2004 X3.
If its a regular shielded coax cable wouldn't it be possible to splice into it with a tee connector?

spydrz
05-14-2008, 06:15 PM
This link (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=PA93&mospid=47794&btnr=65_1494&hg=65&fg=22) may help with finding the proper cable. A FAKRA connector in a BMW is usually purple and black...it's probably tied up where the CD changer goes. I'll look into this further, but take a look at your vehicle's cargo area as I don't have an X3 handy :)

spydrz
05-14-2008, 06:16 PM
OK, here is a better link (http://www.bmwmotorsports.org/pdf/x3_sirius_install.pdf) to the wires. Looks like you have two antenna connectors, and a splicing unit is needed (I have on on my E39) and they're available (made by TERK) on amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001KO7U8).

dicor
05-14-2008, 06:28 PM
That diagram is very helpful it looks as if the #7 line is the one I want. I'm figuring the cable runs somwhere along the floor/door sills. I'm hoping they didn't run it along the roof the X3 has a panorama sunroof and I'm staying as far away from that as possible.

spydrz
05-14-2008, 06:33 PM
Let everyone know if you get it to work!

dicor
05-14-2008, 06:40 PM
OK, here is a better link (http://www.bmwmotorsports.org/pdf/x3_sirius_install.pdf) to the wires. Looks like you have two antenna connectors, and a splicing unit is needed (I have on on my E39) and they're available (made by TERK) on amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001KO7U8).

Holy Crap!!!! That's exactly the doc. I needed. Can't thank you enough this will save me a ton of time. Looks like I got a project this weekend.
My X3 is white and the Sirius Antenna is flat black, it looks ugly as Hell getting rid of it will really clen up the exterior.

dicor
05-14-2008, 06:41 PM
Let everyone know if you get it to work!
I'll post some pix if i'm sucessful, Thanks again.

dicor
05-15-2008, 11:15 AM
OK I was 100% sucessful. And the job took no time at all thanks to dnickels help with the BMW diagram.
Before you attempt to use the shark fin with your third party Sat system be sure to give your BMW dealer a call to make sure the shark fin has a Sat antenna in it. They can verify this by your VIN#. Mine did so it was a go.
The photos will help with this explanation. The wire bundle on the X3 is located in the rear luggage/storage area on the driver side of the vehicle behind the removeable side wall. Simply push the button above the wall it'll unlatch and can be romove easily.
You will see a wire bunlde wrapped in a cloth shield velcro'd tucked in the side, this contains about 6 connectors 2 of which are Sat. antenna wires. Ones' blue the other white. They are the both type connecter (FARKA). I was not sure which of the 2 was for Sirius being as how it's still under warranty I took a chance which the blue connector. Got lucky that's the Sirius antenna wire. I good not find anyplace that sold a male FARKA connector so I rummage through a bunch of old circuit boards and found one with a male FARKA connector on it. I removed the conn. from the boards soldered the antenna wire coming from my Sirius S50 unit to it plugged it in and it's working like a big dog. I'm glad to get that dopey looking Sirius antenna off the roof, I got tired of having to explain what it is.

Anyhow the whole job took 20,minutes after I located the connector. BMW said they have a wire that should mabe fit, they weren't sure, they didn't know itf it fit the Sirius or XM. The one thing they did know was that it is $58 plus tax. This cost nada. If you're ballsy and cheap you could simply cut the FARKA connector and hardwire the antenna wire directly to it, I'm sure it will work just fine.

spydrz
05-18-2008, 06:45 AM
Glad it worked!