PDA

View Full Version : VOLVO S80 Vs 535Xi What do u think?

mbari
05-15-2008, 07:38 PM
So what do you think?

Volvo S80 has the 4c Active chassis which some of the members of this board likes from the s60R. The v8 growl sounds sweet. I actually test drove the car and though its not quite as agile in the sport level suspension as my e39 530i but in advanced mode its not that bad.

V8 Growl and torque (325 lbft)
Simple, organic , stylish interior
Price
Comfy seats.

Dislikes:

Exterior Styling
Slushbox tranny
Handling.

I am also considering the 535i but I mention xi here to maintain some apples to apples scenario.

What Id like to know is which one is better in terms of:

1. Reliability
2. MPGs (V8 must be more)
3. Handling.
4. Desirability ( I know its a BMW forum..so some neutral opinions will be appreciated)

I will be test driving the 535xi next week.

mbari
05-16-2008, 11:14 AM
31 views and no reply..hmmmm..where did I go wrong?

jesimmons
05-16-2008, 12:59 PM
OK... FWIW:

Reliability - I'd lean toward the Volvo (I owned an S70 for 11+ years and it was basically trouble free). I now have the '08 535i, and while I love it and have had no problems in the first 2K miles, I'm petrified of downstream repair costs due to all the electronics.

Mileage - I'd lean toward the 535i. My S70 Volvo got 24.5 MPG Average - and it was a 5 cyl with less HP. The 535i with the Twin Turbo gets great milage. I'm getting 24.7 MPG driving it the same pattern as the Volvo, and the 535i has more HP and torque buy a long shot.

Handling - I lean toward the Bimmer - after all thats what Bimmers are all about. :)

Desirability - LOL - I don't think I really need to answer that, do I? :tsk:

BTW... As a long time Volvo driver, I was seriously considering the S80 as my replacement for the S70. I bought the 535i and am luvin life right now - even with the high gas prices. :bigpimp:

Also, I loved my S70 with manual Trannie... But traffic in DC area made me switch to Steptronic in the Bimmer. I love this transmission... Fast shifting, smooth, and it matches well to the power of the Twin Turbo.

Meek
05-16-2008, 09:14 PM
S80 is a beautiful car. Plush seats.

IMO the 5er is more beautiful and I like the seats/interior better and it handles better.

My wife and I own an S70 and have enjoyed the car (she drives it now). When I was ready to replace it, I test drove the S60R - very nice. But even with the 4C chasis, I still felt like I was sitting on a chair (albeit a comfortable one) on a chasis where with the BMW, I felt is was sitting in a seat and more a part of the car (and the BMW handled better). - Yeah I know "cliche".

The fact that I had decided on '06 330i sedan until I test drove a new Z4 3.0si and bought the roadster instead is another story........

When we get around to replacing the S70 for my wife, I'm pretty sure it will be a newer 5er.

We had several annoying problems with the Volvo but not enough to make us ditch it.

Z4 I've had for 20 months/25K miles - so I can't compare reliability yet.

mbari
05-17-2008, 05:29 PM
thanks for the info guys, lets keep em coming. Any1 w/ n e experience with the latest s80 v8?