BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Thinking? 1986 535i but it has issues...

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  jimoreno 
#1 ·
Love the Internet! Great web site!
Found a 1986 535i with a 5 speed manual transmission and 148,000 miles within my price range (less than 2k). Took it for a test drive the other day and it seemed to run out well, no shakes or shimmies, good acceleration. All the electrical stuff works (windows, seats, mirrors). Never having driven a BMW before, it's all new and exciting to me. I’m going back to take a closer look at it and am looking for some advise to diagnose what I found on my first visit? Or should I forget this one and keep looking?

The exhaust sounds a little louder than what it should.
The “Check” light between the turn signals is flashing (can I get the codes without spending any money?).
ABS light is on.
The brake light is on (above the rear view mirror).
Radio is showing “CODE” on the display panel.

I’m putting it up on ramps to check the under side (exhaust, ect.) and will go through all the fluid checks looking for signs of trouble with the engine, radiator. Also, checking to see if the blower fan brings in the sweet smell of anti-freeze. I’m willing to put time and money into getting another 150k on the odometer, but I don’t want to spend more time under the hood than behind the wheel. It appears from what I’ve read here that these automobiles have that potential.

Thanks in advance for your assistance,
Sprinks

See less See more
#3 ·
OK, I'll go through the items in the same order as you did.
1- Either an aftermarket or the exhaust has a hole in it (ask me how I know!;))
2- In order to get the "check" light to stop blinking, look at the active check panel on the headliner (above the rear view mirror) and press the "check" button. The remaining lit LED's are telling you that those systems need to be "checked" There are no "codes" on these cars since they are pre-OBD systems. The brakes led will go off when you step on the brakes (if everything else is ok), it just forces you to step on the brakes to test them. It will tell you if you are low on oil (1 quart), windshield washer fluid, coolant, burnt headlight, brake light, tail light or license plate light. (I don't remember anything else!)
3- If ABS light is, on it means that the system is disabled possibly due to residue buildup on the sensors or rusted signal rings (the rear ones are exposed and tend to rust) The ABS brain is in the glove box right above the engine control unit (ECU) and it could have been unplugged also.
4- This probaby means a burnt bulb or dirty/incorrect bulbs installed. Easy fix (clean up conections and make sure that the bulbs are the "silver" base type, not brass).
5- Radio has been without power and resets (theft deterrent). If current owner dosen't have the code to enter and reset it, you will need to remove the radio and take it to a dealer in order for them to retrieve the code. You might get charged for this so is probably a good idea to just put a new unit in (rewire all your speakers if you do so since the stock wiring is using the car body as "ground" and is just using two channels to split them into four.

These cars are great and very fun to drive so enjoy!

#4 ·
OK, I'll go through the items in the same order as you did.
1- Either an aftermarket system or the exhaust has a hole in it (ask me how I know!;))
2- In order to get the "check" light to stop blinking, look at the active check panel on the headliner (above the rear view mirror) and press the "check" button. The remaining lit LED's are telling you that those systems need to be "checked" There are no "codes" on these cars since they are pre-OBD systems. The brakes LED will go off when you step on the brakes (if everything else is ok), it just forces you to step on the brakes to test them. It will tell you if you are low on oil (1 quart), windshield washer fluid, coolant, burnt headlight, brake light, tail light or license plate light. (I don't remember anything else!)
3- If ABS light is, on it means that the system is disabled possibly due to residue buildup on the sensors or rusted signal rings (the rear ones are exposed and tend to rust) The ABS brain is in the glove box right above the engine control unit (ECU) and it could have been unplugged also.
4- This probaby means a burnt bulb or dirty/incorrect bulbs installed. Easy fix (clean up conections and make sure that the bulbs are the "silver" base type, not brass).
5- Radio has been without power and resets (theft deterrent). If current owner doesn't have the code to enter and reset it, you will need to remove the radio and take it to a dealer in order for them to retrieve the code. You might get charged for this so is probably a good idea to just put a new unit in (rewire all your speakers if you do so since the stock wiring is using the car body as "ground" and is just using two channels to split them into four).

These cars are great and very fun to drive so enjoy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.