PDA

View Full Version : Snakes on a BMW

Karlsbad
05-17-2008, 11:38 AM
Thought everyone might get a chuckle outta this....so I pop the hood open late one afternoon to check the fluids etc...get distracted and walk away to take a phone call...come back an hour later...and see that I have "help"....this isn't staged...and I don't have pet snakes...it's a random canyon snake that has very good taste in cars...the thing must have slithered under the car and up into the engine compartment and saw light and figured it was the way out.

It was a cat and mouse game that lasted 2 hrs...I blasted water around the front grill area where he would retreat to and hide...he was about 4 feet long...and totally hidden from view somewhere in there!

I finally just sat in the garage and watched and waited...he would come out to the point where I took photos...then go and hide again.

Enjoy

WINDonSKIN
05-17-2008, 12:45 PM
I've seen snakes on a mustang but never a bmw. Is this guy poisonous?

mistercindy
05-17-2008, 01:43 PM
I discovered a cat under the hood once, but never a snake.

Is this guy poisonous?
I had the same question. I don't know my snake markings too well! Nothin' under "canyon snake" under a google or wikipedia search.:dunno: Must be a common nickname.

I assume you thought it was poisonous or you wouldn't have played cat & mouse with it.

Meek
05-17-2008, 03:28 PM
Might be a gopher snake?

http://www.werc.usgs.gov/fieldguide/pime.htm

MalibuMafiaV
05-17-2008, 09:18 PM
I was going to say the same thing the guy said above, gopher or gardener snake. Doesn't look very poisonus at all.

BasicMarinWheels
05-17-2008, 10:20 PM
Definitely a gopher snake. Not poisonous at all. The only poisonous snake in California is the rattlesnake.

If threatened, these will "act" like a rattlesnake: coiling up, hissing and striking. They can bite (they have sharp little teeth that can break the skin slightly), but they are harmless.

JG
05-18-2008, 06:19 AM
Definitely a gopher snake. Not poisonous at all. The only poisonous snake in California is the rattlesnake.

If threatened, these will "act" like a rattlesnake: coiling up, hissing and striking. They can bite (they have sharp little teeth that can break the skin slightly), but they are harmless.

Could have used him under my hood. I had mice and they ate most of the under hood insulation, and used the top of the suspension pot for their toilet.

1985mb
05-20-2008, 09:06 AM
Nice wheels on taht e34 :thumbup:

Karlsbad
05-21-2008, 09:46 PM
The little 4 foot guy was a San Diego night snake (they like to eat lizards)...lots of diff varieties in SoCal...if you can't see the head (small) from a distance, it kinda makes you jump. You can imagine how I reacted when I walked up fast and saw him.

It has similar markings to a rattler however the little head is the tip off. Not poisionous and very very timid...consequently the cat and mouse game...after I took the first few photos....he disappeared fast! Then I couldn't get within 10 feet and he would just slip back into the depths of the radiator area...couldn't even see him when I stuck my head in to look!

My wife said "you are NOT bringing the car in the garage until you see that thing leave and slither away". So I was on snake detail...good thing I have a vending machine in the garage full of cold beer.

TMARCUSK
05-21-2008, 10:11 PM
Good thing he showed himself. That would have been a mess if the fan or pulley system had got a hold of him. Better still, It probably saved you from having to wash your pants had you gone to check your fluids again.