PDA

View Full Version : Good value?

jredingt
05-18-2008, 04:31 PM
I've been looking at a few e36 M3's here in the PNW and have come across one possible winner.

It is a 1997 with 87k miles and it looks as though it is in verry good condition!

The asking price is $7,000(USD)

I was just wondering if this is a good asking price for this M3

Oh yeah, here is the link.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/car/684318136.html

Thanks,

:[Justin]:

sprky296
05-18-2008, 10:17 PM
Here are my $0.02 and first impressions on the car you mentioned.

1. What kind of service/maintenance records does it have? E36's can have some relatively serious issues that creep up at around 90k miles, so be wary of this. Check the sticky at the top of this forum to see more about what I'm talking about. Also, you may want to see a complete CarFax report on this car (more on this below).

2. Looking at the pictures of this car, some things stand out to me.
a) First of all, the pictures do NOT match the description! RED FLAG, or typo...
b) What's with the side "vents" on the panel behind the front wheels? This is NOT standard for E36 M3's, and it almost looks like the previous owner wanted to make it into an E46 M3...
c) Is it just me, or does the hood look like it's not all the way closed? On my E36 M3, the hood closes tightly shut; this one looks like its got an inch or so of clearance.
d) The rear of the car looks a bit off to me. The spoiler is definitely after-market, and the top of the car looks like it's creeping down on the rear window. Also, the bottom part of the rear bumper and the door handles "should be" black, not silver.
e) On the interior, the steering wheel looks a bit different from any E36 M3 I've ever seen. The little "bumps" don't look quite right and the stereo is ghetto.

From what it looks like, this car may have been in some sort of accident (or possible stolen and recovered, thus having a salvage title) and many parts have been replaced. I'd just be overly cautious when it comes to these cars (I got royally screwed over for my own ignorance, and would hate to see the same thing happen to you). Lastly, only $7,000 seems a bit low for a car in "nice and clean" condition.

Edev
05-18-2008, 10:39 PM
+1 ^^

basically on everything he said. yet the top of the rear window is probably just a spoiler for the roof.

also, i just noticed. on the top of the craigslist ad it says..1998 Bmw M3 manual leather nice and clean - $6999 (Tacoma, WA)

then right below that it says..

1997 BMW M3 2 Dr Coupe (Stock# Y76435)

when its obviously a 4 door.

same with this stuff. its for a 2 dr, not a 4..

Specifications

Year: 1997 VIN: WBSBG9326VEY76435
Make: BMW Stock Number: Y76435
Model: M3 Mileage: 86854
Body Style: 2 Dr Coupe Interior Color: Grey
Engine: 6 Cyl. Exterior Color: Silver
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual
Warranty: Call for Details

and on the window it says 98. so idk what year this M3 is. plus the price is REAlly low. im from washington and have seen a few M3s for that price..only when they have been wrecked or just have been in an accident and got repaired.

jredingt
05-20-2008, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the informative replies!!!

Man, you guys can sure pick these things apart.

I called the dealer and found that the car did indeed have a salvage title.

I asked for further explaination and he would not give any.

Thanks again!!!

I'll just keep shopping.

sprky296
05-20-2008, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the informative replies!!!

Man, you guys can sure pick these things apart.

I called the dealer and found that the car did indeed have a salvage title.

I asked for further explaination and he would not give any.

Thanks again!!!

I'll just keep shopping.

Glad to help! Let us know about the next one you find, so we can "pick it apart" as well. :D

Edev
05-20-2008, 10:49 PM
Glad to help! Let us know about the next one you find, so we can "pick it apart" as well. :D

haha once again, +1

and it also wouldnt hurt to look around the portland area if youre really wanting a really clean M3. depending on your price..but ive seen a few on craigslist in portland oregon for a good price. just a thought :thumbup:

plus, it would be a nice little drive to get to know your bimmer as well :D

e30e
05-21-2008, 04:56 PM
The description sucks of the car, the fenders are gay, so is the spoilers but for 7k your getting a m3 sedan with a manual with low miles hopefully with clean records and no car accidents its not a bad deal considering how rare m3 sedan's with manuals are. But if its been in a car accident and records suck I would pass.