PDA

View Full Version : Why is BMW on sale?

tinahuang
05-18-2008, 08:59 PM
Did anyone notice most of BMW cars are on sale at the moment? Not sure if this is true for other locations but we used zip code 10016 on carsdirect (http://www.carsdirect.com/research/incentives_search) and the X5 we are interested is only 200 above the invoice price. Also, 3, 5, 7 series and even M5 are all on sale. This is unusual in our own experience; we almost paid the full MSRP price when we bought our e46 coupe a few years ago. Any thoughts?

330ximd
05-18-2008, 09:30 PM
I purchased my '04 new for well under invoice. If you pay MSRP for any car it is a rip off. Unless it is a Maserati. Next car I purchase will either be an M3 or a Porsche, and it will be for invoice or under.

Kamdog
05-19-2008, 06:42 AM
The economy is not too good right now, and car sales are down. Plus, gas is over $4 a gallon, so people are leery of buying high power, expensive cars at the moment.

EdCT
05-19-2008, 08:11 AM
Did anyone notice most of BMW cars are on sale at the moment? Not sure if this is true for other locations but we used zip code 10016 on carsdirect (http://www.carsdirect.com/research/incentives_search) and the X5 we are interested is only 200 above the invoice price. Also, 3, 5, 7 series and even M5 are all on sale. This is unusual in our own experience; we almost paid the full MSRP price when we bought our e46 coupe a few years ago. Any thoughts?

In case you haven't noticed there's a recession going on, high gas prices and the fewest car sales in a decade.

If that's not enough for you - BMW posted its worst sales figures in years.

:dunno:

Ed

tinahuang
05-19-2008, 09:02 AM
In case you haven't noticed there's a recession going on, high gas prices and the fewest car sales in a decade.

If that's not enough for you - BMW posted its worst sales figures in years.

:dunno:

Ed

Of course I am aware of the recession but just surprise to see they are willing to lower the price that much. IMO, it's about time for the bimmer dealers to stop being so damn cocky & be more reasonable when negotiate the prices :angel:

sdbrandon
05-19-2008, 09:05 AM
Of course I am aware of the recession but just surprise to see they are willing to lower the price that much. IMO, it's about time for the bimmer dealers to stop being so damn cocky & be more reasonable when negotiate the prices :angel:

Everyone is getting screwed.

Yes you can get a car for less from just about any car company. However, lease residuals for going down, money factors are going up, car prices are going up, and resale value for BMW's are dropping like a rock.

Even discounted, whatever you pay for a new or used car, it will be worth a lot less than you will ever imagine.

sharmabmw
05-19-2008, 09:49 AM
[QUOTE=sdbrandon;3262679]Everyone is getting screwed.

Yes you can get a car for less from just about any car company. However, lease residuals for going up, money factors are going up, car prices are going up, and resale value for BMW's are dropping like a rock.

agreed. I am not convinced we are seeing a "sale." I think the only sale is in the used market arena.

numindast
05-19-2008, 01:06 PM
For certain, BMWNA's gotten more agressive with their BMWFS interest rates the last few months. To me this suggests a big interest in clearing out those CPO lots.

Kamdog
05-19-2008, 04:26 PM
Everyone is getting screwed.

Yes you can get a car for less from just about any car company. However, lease residuals for going down, money factors are going up, car prices are going up, and resale value for BMW's are dropping like a rock.

Even discounted, whatever you pay for a new or used car, it will be worth a lot less than you will ever imagine.

Not really. I ain't getting screwed, and it will be worth exactly what I imagine when I sell it. That is because I buy my cars and run them till they die, or just about. If I don't get 8 - 10 years out of a car, I am disappointed. If I sell it with less than 100,000 miles on it, I am dumping it because it is a bad car.

BMWFanboy
05-19-2008, 07:07 PM
Damn, can't imagine driving the same car for 5 years, let alone 10!

peakpro
05-20-2008, 07:00 PM

right on

ProRail
05-20-2008, 07:06 PM
Of course I am aware of the recession but just surprise to see they are willing to lower the price that much. IMO, it's about time for the bimmer dealers to stop being so damn cocky & be more reasonable when negotiate the prices :

This seems to contradict your original post.

brkf
05-20-2008, 08:16 PM

Um, WTF? It's not even close to unusual for BMWs to have trunk money. A better question, who the hell pays near MSRP on a BMW? The days of BMWs commanding MSRP died way back when Lexus and Infiniti showed up. By the 2000s there was such competition in the luxury car world that dealers have had to make concessions. If anyone paid sticker for a 3 in the past 5-6 years, they just weren't trying. The TL, G35 and IS have turned the entry-lux cars into commodities.

My first BMW was a 330i ZHP that I paid less than 1% interest on the lease and got it for $400 over invoice. My bro-in-law bought his 3 series the same year - 2003 - and he paid 2k under invoice for it. I paid 35.8k (42k msrp) for my e90 330i in 2006.

Kamdog
05-20-2008, 08:27 PM
Damn, can't imagine driving the same car for 5 years, let alone 10!

Well, with always maintaining two cars for commuting (later 3 cars), paying a mortgage, saving for college, some accomodations need to be made.

When I decided to buy this car, instead of leasing it, my (now) 25 year old daughter said, dad, you wont want to give up your car after only 2 or 3 years. And she is right, I go and fall in love with them. My wife had to pry my 10 year old Red Car out of my hands.

EdCT
05-20-2008, 08:45 PM
Um, WTF? It's not even close to unusual for BMWs to have trunk money. A better question, who the hell pays near MSRP on a BMW? The days of BMWs commanding MSRP died way back when Lexus and Infiniti showed up. By the 2000s there was such competition in the luxury car world that dealers have had to make concessions. If anyone paid sticker for a 3 in the past 5-6 years, they just weren't trying. The TL, G35 and IS have turned the entry-lux cars into commodities.

My first BMW was a 330i ZHP that I paid less than 1% interest on the lease and got it for $400 over invoice. My bro-in-law bought his 3 series the same year - 2003 - and he paid 2k under invoice for it. I paid 35.8k (42k msrp) for my e90 330i in 2006.

I got my first BMW, an '00 323i back in November of 2000 for just 500 over invoice - that was 4500 off sticker.

I did better, much MUCH better on my 05 Z4 - over 12k off sticker.

This car, the 06 ZHP vert cost me the most, I could only negotiate 8k off the sticker with 2500 miles on it, but I got a CPO on it extending the warranty out to 2012. So, a good deal on a rare car.

I just bought my wife an 07 M35x, brand new (never been titled) for 38k - over 11k off list.

I'd never pay full price for any car - ever, and I expect a pretty good discount.

Ed