PDA

View Full Version : This is what people think of BMW owners...

mondo21
05-19-2008, 01:53 PM
brandtags.net (http://www.brandtags.net/browse.php?id=39)

Sorry if a repost,

It's actually what people think of the brand (think a-hole for BMW) but you better believe people associate the brand with the drivers when it comes to bimmers.

SailinSand
05-19-2008, 02:33 PM
Is the font funky- I couldn't seem to read it?

Phil75070
05-19-2008, 04:14 PM
I see a lot of other terms associated with BMW that are very positive, too. "Class", "fast", "luxury", "performance", "quality"......

BillyTB
05-19-2008, 05:18 PM
Some of those names were pretty funny and the fact that people have high and low opinions is a good thing I think. if you don't have any resistance there is something definitely wrong. Enemies are good too because it's usually people that don't have any fun in their lives anyways...

cozia83
05-19-2008, 05:51 PM
You know, I don't really mind...People piss me off by driving 10 under (in Ohio) and by doing stupid things while driving (think cell phone and cigarette at the same time). I don't mind pissing them off just by driving a superior car. :thumbup:

Although, if you notice, Luxury and other things are much bigger.

NetSpySD
05-19-2008, 05:54 PM
Americans in general are uneducated about cars.

They still think a 3 series is expensive although it costs as much a a Yukon, Tahoe, Highlander, etc.

They are oblivious to the fact that most car brands have expensive models and cannot equate price to model.

big-tex
05-19-2008, 07:16 PM
big penis.. not a bad brand tag if you ask me, lol, thats an interesting website.

BM2W
05-19-2008, 07:32 PM
A while back when I was visiting Philly and an old college buddy, we went out and had a few beers (actually, I had a few, he had one). I was tired, so I asked him to drive my car ('96 328is) back to his place (his daily driver at the time was a Chevy Caprice wagon). Once back home, he said, "Now I understand - I always though BMW drivers drive like @$$holes, now I get it! They drive that way because they can!!" His last 'interesting' car was his TR4A back in college . . .

A lot of Bimmer drivers do exploit their vehicles' capabilities in less than considerate ways or at the wrong time & place. Oh, well -

mondo21
05-19-2008, 07:49 PM
A while back when I was visiting Philly and an old college buddy, we went out and had a few beers (actually, I had a few, he had one). I was tired, so I asked him to drive my car ('96 328is) back to his place (his daily driver at the time was a Chevy Caprice wagon). Once back home, he said, "Now I understand - I always though BMW drivers drive like @$$holes, now I get it! They drive that way because they can!!" His last 'interesting' car was his TR4A back in college . . .

A lot of Bimmer drivers do exploit their vehicles' capabilities in less than considerate ways or at the wrong time & place. Oh, well -

Great observation. Don't think I would have tried to go 140 on the autobahn if I had my '02 Maxima (yes, I know that car can't hit 140).

mondo21
05-19-2008, 07:52 PM

They still think a 3 series is expensive although it costs as much a a Yukon, Tahoe, Highlander, etc.

They are oblivious to the fact that most car brands have expensive models and cannot equate price to model.

Part of the reason for this lack of education is marketing from the car manufacturers. Americans have a tendency to believe the hype if enough marketing dollars are thrown their way.

chicagofan00
05-19-2008, 10:51 PM

+1. A Tahoe can easily reach $45k and etc for the other brands.

mistercindy
05-20-2008, 06:26 AM
Pretty cool site!:thumbup: Interesting how small the font was on "motorcycle."

Check out the other links on the bottom of the page. On Volvo the first two big font words are "boring" and "boxy"!:D I wish you could do the opposite search for large font words. For example, I'd like to type in "expensive" and see what brands pop up.

Isn't that the damn truth? A woman in my office asked why I'd spend so much on a 328i Coupe (~$40,000), and she just bought a nuked out Tahoe for $45,000 which will get half the gas mileage and ride like crap, but somehow that's different.:dunno:

mondo21
05-20-2008, 06:49 AM
Pretty cool site!:thumbup: Interesting how small the font was on "motorcycle."

Check out the other links on the bottom of the page. On Volvo the first two big font words are "boring" and "boxy"!:D I wish you could do the opposite search for large font words. For example, I'd like to type in "expensive" and see what brands pop up.

That's a great idea! I wonder if it is possible with their programming.

Isn't that the damn truth? A woman in my office asked why I'd spend so much on a 328i Coupe (~$40,000), and she just bought a nuked out Tahoe for $45,000 which will get half the gas mileage and ride like crap, but somehow that's different.:dunno:

I like that response. I think I'll use it next time. Sometimes I wish I was back in LA, no one cares if you have a 3 series there because everyone else does too.

damyankee
05-20-2008, 10:37 AM
That's pretty cool. Check out McDonalds - I'd say they have some image issues to work on.

mondo21
05-20-2008, 11:53 AM
What I don't get is the people who enter in the same brand name as their association, ie:

Netflix:Netflix... duh and not useful.

cozia83
05-20-2008, 03:23 PM
the bottom of the page. On Volvo the first two big font words are "boring" and "boxy"!:D I wish you could do the opposite search for large font words. For example, I'd like to type in "expensive" and see what brands pop up.

You can. At the bottom, you can type in a tag and see what brands come up.

Lanc3r
05-20-2008, 03:29 PM
This thread just gave me a headache.

mistercindy
05-21-2008, 05:29 AM
A few weeks ago I told one of my friends at the office that I was going to buy a BMW, and the first thing out of his mouth was something like "when I see a BMW all I think of is as*hole." Funny how on target he is relative to the perception of the brand. He's a great guy and we both had a good laugh when I showed him that web site.

You can. At the bottom, you can type in a tag and see what brands come up.
Cool! Thanks for pointing that out!

BTW, when you type the word "as*hole" and hit search the number one brand for that term is BMW. The second highest is Capital One but the font for "as*hole" is a fraction of the size that it is in BMW. Mercedes is the third with an even smaller font.

The question, in my mind, is why? Why BMW over all other cars? Why would it be higher for the word "as*hole" than Porsche, Corvette, Mercedes, Audi, etc...? BMW is also the highest car for the word "douche." Why? Interestingly, if you look at the Audi brand the words are way more complimentary. Why the big difference in perception?

big-tex
05-21-2008, 08:28 AM
it really is strange the stigma that comes with bimmers, hell a ford f-150 that my buddy drives has a sticker price of 42,000,(its a king ranch) and he's payin a 700 dollar a month payment, and only gettin 11.5 mpg's on a good day.. wtf? it's odd how people see you just cause your in a bimmer.

BM2W
05-21-2008, 04:44 PM
+1 Tex

No one ever went broke under-estimating the taste of the ammurican publik. Most of those who have gotten snotty about BMW's have never driven one. One can spend way more money on relatively mediocre vehicles ( American or otherwise) and still think they're getting better 'value' than BMWs. Fukkum.

Bimmers aren't for everyone. They're very refined, high performace/high maintentance vehicles, and there are those who really should stick to Mustangs/Mopars/etc, it just ain't the same. BMW's aren't an 'everyman's car', they are a premium vehicle, get over it.

The measure of the machine is the pleasure it gives you to operate it. If it's an F-150 or a Mustang GT , a Prious, or a 512 Testa Rossa, I'm happy for you, but don't crap on me if I like my 330CiC or X3 or whatever. The dweebs who think "you are what you drive" are why I own guns . . .

cozia83
05-22-2008, 09:33 AM
What I don't get is the people who enter in the same brand name as their association, ie:

Netflix:Netflix... duh and not useful.

When you actually tag things, just the logo comes up. The instructions are to write the first word or phrase that comes to mine. So, if the Mercedes logo comes up, naturally people think "Mercedes." But I agree, for those that have text, it's silly to just rewrite it.

AlexMPower
05-24-2008, 12:32 PM
You know... i will take it, and i will be an asshole, an asshole who drives a BMW!!!

NJBimmerMan1
05-27-2008, 09:22 AM
I think people who don't drive bmws, and not necessarily just bmws, but luxury cars in general are most likely just a little jealous that they themselves don't have a car that handles so well and carries just a prestigious well-renown reputation.

GrFa
05-29-2008, 07:20 PM
I agree about the pricks thing.

I have been driving BMWs since I got my license and must say most BMW owners who buy them because their friends have them and because they are "cool" are huge pricks. Luckily those people don't go online.

05-29-2008, 07:54 PM
Every marque has its stereotypes. People think Ferrari drivers have small penises and sell coke. People think Porsche drivers are stuffy pricks - and are probably hot shot attorneys. People think Nissan owners are the reserved, cautious version of the import crowd. Honda owners think Toyota owners are jerk offs - and vice versa. And I think Minivan and SUV owners are the antithesis of car enthusiasts. :)

(My apologies to anyone here who owns a Minivan or an SUV)

cozia83
05-29-2008, 09:49 PM
And I think Minivan and SUV owners are the antithesis of car enthusiasts. :)

Couldn't agree more!

akhbhaat
05-30-2008, 07:44 AM
No one ever went broke under-estimating the taste of the ammurican publik.Truth.

But at least they get right it as far as Budweiser is concerned:

beer
king
king of beers
piss
cheap
drunk
american
bud
water
crap
frogs
redneck
gross

Kzang
05-30-2008, 12:23 PM

How can you compare pricing with a small sedan and a full Sized SUV? Or am I reading this wrong? :)

mondo21
05-30-2008, 01:12 PM
Every marque has its stereotypes. People think Ferrari drivers have small penises and sell coke. People think Porsche drivers are stuffy pricks - and are probably hot shot attorneys. People think Nissan owners are the reserved, cautious version of the import crowd. Honda owners think Toyota owners are jerk offs - and vice versa. And I think Minivan and SUV owners are the antithesis of car enthusiasts. :)

(My apologies to anyone here who owns a Minivan or an SUV)

I don't think it is a matter of what cars people own but what one (of the cars they own) they choose to drive. Lots of people have families and have utilitarian cars for that reason. Hard to roll the family around in an 335 coupe. Personally, I have 3 cars and one of them is an Accord. I only drive it if it's absolutely necessary but I can be seen driving it.

Therefore, I can't judge a guy driving a minivan because he may have a F430 at home.

05-30-2008, 01:23 PM
I don't think it is a matter of what cars people own but what one (of the cars they own) they choose to drive. Lots of people have families and have utilitarian cars for that reason. Hard to roll the family around in an 335 coupe. Personally, I have 3 cars and one of them is an Accord. I only drive it if it's absolutely necessary but I can be seen driving it.

Therefore, I can't judge a guy driving a minivan because he may have a F430 at home.

I agree. And I posted that knowing the possibility of the very point you just made. When I see a family in an SUV, it's no big deal; but when I see one person in an SUV, it's hard not to wonder. I have a friend who takes her Ferrari everywhere - even grocery shopping. She can't get enough of it. When she's doing family stuff, she uses something else - but if it's just her, or just her and one other person - it's horsey time.

I'll never put it past an SUV or Minivan owner to also have a Ferrari or some other exotic/sports car at home. But being an owner doesn't always necessarily constitute being an enthusiast.

uncle ken
05-30-2008, 01:30 PM
The measure of the machine is the pleasure it gives you to operate it.

Absolutely! You can chase your tail trying to make others happy or you can drive what you damn well please. The correct answer to the question: "What do you think about BMW drivers?" would be - "I don't think about it much."

straightnochase
05-30-2008, 03:29 PM
i can definitely see bimmer owners being anal about certain things, relative to cars, but not necessarily a-hole. i see alot of a-holes in domestic budget sports cars, such as mustang, etc.

straightnochase
05-30-2008, 03:29 PM
i hate chicks in the mustang. almost 99% of them are b***'s.

cozia83
05-30-2008, 03:48 PM
i hate chicks in the mustang. almost 99% of them are b***'s.
Or rednecks

mondo21
05-30-2008, 08:56 PM
But being an owner doesn't always necessarily constitute being an enthusiast.

That's an excellent point. Applies to BMW drivers as well.

Conversely, being an enthusiast doesn't necessarily mean you are an owner (you may have owned in the past or may own in the future).

05-30-2008, 09:41 PM
Conversely, being an enthusiast doesn't necessarily mean you are an owner.

That describes me to a tee. Always a driver, never an owner.

Synaps3
05-30-2008, 11:02 PM
Bimmers dont make me think "as$hole"

but these cars do....

Corvette
Cadillac CTS (got lucky on performance)
Cadillac Escalade
Ford Explorer
Mustang Convertible

Synaps3
05-30-2008, 11:07 PM
having some fun with that tool. Ever wanted to find out what to buy if you're a Ninja? now you know.

http://www.brandtags.net/search.php?q=ninja

mondo21
05-31-2008, 05:29 AM
having some fun with that tool. Ever wanted to find out what to buy if you're a Ninja? now you know.

http://www.brandtags.net/search.php?q=ninja

:rofl: Ninja=Mercedes :rofl: