PDA

View Full Version : Not so funny incident with a loaner car...

joka
05-19-2008, 09:27 PM
here is my story re: loaner...

I dropped off my car today service and got the e90 328xi as a loaner. The car was fine and didn't have any issues all day. That was until the evening.
My family (mother in law, wife, and the baby) went out to dinner and when we were done with dinner and were ready to return home, the funny thing happened with the car... I pressed the unlock button but it didn't open. tried few times and thinking that maybe it was low on battery or something. I tried again few times and it just didn't open... :mad::mad::mad:
I thought I was doing something wrong, and tried to lock/unlock/ hold down the lock key, wait few minutes, unlock the trunk, and tried again. No luck... :mad:
Whatever combo I tried, it didn't work and I decided to call the roadside assistance hoping that maybe they'll have some solution.

I called to roadside assistance and explained the situation and she cracked up and said "I am sorry sir, but this is the first time that I heard that someone couldn't get the car unlocked..." I asked her to call the BMW sos service to have them unlock the car and she didn't have the number for them and couldn't. The only thing she could do was to get the car towed to the dealer... I thought I had no choice but to get it towed but then
I remembered that if I hold the unlock button long enough all the windows would go down. It worked and once I got inside I tried to unlock using the unlock button in the car and that didn't work. I could hear the car trying to unlock but the lock just wouldn't pop open!!! :mad: WTF!
We all had to climb into the car through the window to get back... I tried to call the SOS service from the car to get them to unlock but that didn't even work! What's the deal with that? What's the point of having the sos button if it's not going to work!!! Hm, maybe I just don't know how to operate it. Maybe I need to be educated on how to use stupid sos button. :dunno:

I am going to talk to dealer about the incident but I plan on writing a letter to bmw to file a complaint about this crap that shouldn't even happened in the first case.

I'll be visiting the dealer again tomorrow to raise hell and get my baby seat out of the stupid car... The baby seat's base won't fit thorugh the windown. sigh.

My wide said, at least in a Kia you could manually unlock the door but not in this bmw... She tried to put a little humor into it but there is some truth in her statement.
:rofl:

Anyway, needless to say I was dissapointed in the car... Such an incident will deter me from getting another one...

:thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn:

I just had to share this funny/not so funny story with you all.

E36 Phantom
05-19-2008, 09:40 PM

The E9x's are very different from E39s. Even more computerized. I wouldn't want one in comparison to an E39.

However, those quirky stupid things give the car 'character', if you could call it that. Lol. You'll laugh about it in a few weeks, no harm done...

Solidjake
05-19-2008, 09:46 PM
lmao, it sucks that the car is so complicated. and i can't believe that the woman just laughed at you. you should have freaking yelled at her and get the damn car open. good luck tomorrow.

TemporarySanity
05-19-2008, 09:47 PM
You mean the physical metal key would not work either? That would turn me off too!

joka
05-19-2008, 10:01 PM
You mean the physical metal key would not work either? That would turn me off too!
It didn't come with the metal key... only the "special key" for the ignition...

The E9x's are very different from E39s. Even more computerized. I wouldn't want one in comparison to an E39.

However, those quirky stupid things give the car 'character', if you could call it that. Lol. You'll laugh about it in a few weeks, no harm done...

I don't want the car with this kind of character I want a fast/nice handling carminus the personality...

TemporarySanity
05-19-2008, 10:19 PM
Eff that car then! I'll stick with my e39, thank you very much.

xxpanipuri
05-19-2008, 10:45 PM
you couldn't open the doors using the key?

you know the key pops out from the bottom?

any hoo that sucks! hopefully they'll take care of you!!

E36 Phantom
05-19-2008, 10:51 PM

I don't want the car with this kind of character I want a fast/nice handling carminus the personality...

Yes it did...it's built into the "special key." ;)

You show me a fast luxury car that handles well and doesn't have its annoying one-off quirks, and I'll show you my collection of Bentleys, Ferraris, and Porsches. I'll also give you a grand tour of my 15,000 square foot mansion on the beach, and let you have a night out with my Playmates. :yikes:

kmoy2002
05-19-2008, 10:52 PM
First I've ever heard of this. Funny story though...though you may not find it amusing. Sorry about your situation

kingdunke
05-19-2008, 11:29 PM
so you probably tried to lift the door handles from inside? just a wild thought for ya: "since it ruined my night, i would probably take a pee in the car before i return it to the stealer"

JBss
05-20-2008, 12:01 AM
sorry, if it was me i wouldn't find it funny either.

but its not, so :rofl:

xxpanipuri
05-20-2008, 12:13 AM

the metal key pops out of the bottom of the remote...

all cars with out traditional ignition keys still have that....reality is electronics fail....so they have this as a backup so you can at least get inside and unlock the car

DJKraft
05-20-2008, 12:27 AM
That sux...

spydrz
05-20-2008, 06:33 AM
Yes it did...it's built into the "special key." ;)

You press a button on the bottom of the key and the metal key slides out on the E90 fob.

BLT
05-20-2008, 06:40 AM

Inside every "special key" there is a metal key that can be used to open the door. Please read the owners manual or have your SA show you how it works.

cwsqbm
05-20-2008, 06:55 AM
Even without the special key, once the windows are down you should be able to pull the interior door handles twice to get the car to open.

PutterMcGavin
05-20-2008, 07:56 AM
...check out the "race slicks" I had on my E92 loaner. Gave me a freaking headache after 5 miles before I realized what it was. Dealership thought it was something else. Stupid things would break loose by barely touching the throttle on a turn.

Funny thing is that when I pulled into the dealership there were 4 service techs and service reps there. They looked at me and said "man you really need to get yourself some new tires those are pretty dangerous!" To which I replied "Yep they are pretty bad lets walk around the car." The guy walked around the car shaking his head at how bad it was and then stopped dead in his tracks opened his eyes wide just as he saw their "name" on the car and I said "Yep, its your car, it is dangerous and I'm pissed so I'd recommend that you take care of this..."

Got pretty good service after that...

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/PutterMcGavin/LeithLoaner010.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/PutterMcGavin/LeithLoaner008.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/PutterMcGavin/LeithLoaner003.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/PutterMcGavin/LeithLoaner004.jpg

Unagi1
05-20-2008, 01:47 PM
WOW. That sux that u didn't know about the built-in key. That would have been so embarrassing...:bigpimp:

AzNMpower32
05-20-2008, 03:26 PM
The BMW loaners I get are better overall than the 325i I turn in. Yea, okay the 335i badly needs sport package, but honestly, I didn't want to give that back.

Eh, there is a manual key that you can use within the key fob, like others have mentioned.

Daedalus34r
05-20-2008, 06:05 PM
one of the reasons i like my e46 and a physical key ... no worries about keyfob problems.

peakpro
05-20-2008, 07:59 PM
sorry for the bad luck

joka
05-20-2008, 08:24 PM
Even without the special key, once the windows are down you should be able to pull the interior door handles twice to get the car to open.
It didn't work. I'll find out what was the problem when I go pick up my car.

WOW. That sux that u didn't know about the built-in key. That would have been so embarrassing...:bigpimp:
Needless to say I was stunned when I saw the manager pull out the key on the bottom. Live an learn. :eeps:

Inside every "special key" there is a metal key that can be used to open the door. Please read the owners manual or have your SA show you how it works.
There was no manual in the loaner. Next time I'll be sure to ask the SA how the car works. thanks for the advice.

joka
05-20-2008, 08:30 PM
So I went back to the dealer and the SA manager tried few things and he couldn't get it to work... He said that it may be a problem with the deadlock bolt but didn't know for sure what the problem was...

I guess we'll find out when I go pick up the car.

My quads are sore from climbing in and out the window. LOL I guess I should hit the gym more often. :rofl:

lprdlvr
05-22-2008, 10:51 AM
So I went back to the dealer and the SA manager tried few things and he couldn't get it to work... He said that it may be a problem with the deadlock bolt but didn't know for sure what the problem was...

I guess we'll find out when I go pick up the car.

My quads are sore from climbing in and out the window. LOL I guess I should hit the gym more often. :rofl:

The first thing that comes to mind when I read this is "Dukes of Hazzard". LMAO.... maybe you are the "city" version. Instead of the General Lee, you have a Bimmer Lee. :rofl:

e36m34life
05-23-2008, 05:41 PM
[/COLOR]

The first thing that comes to mind when I read this is "Dukes of Hazzard". LMAO.... maybe you are the "city" version. Instead of the General Lee, you have a Bimmer Lee. :rofl:

Bart001
05-24-2008, 09:10 PM
There is a certain parking lot in Boston where, on 3 different BMW's I've owned (a 2004, a 2005 and a 2008), the remote unlock will not work. I assume that there is some sort of radio interference . . . but it's a simple matter to use the metal key.

joka
05-25-2008, 04:48 PM
So the dealer gave me ANOTHER 328xit for a loaner.

Let me just say the second loaner didn't start after 2 days of driving so I had to get it towed from work to the dealer. :tsk:

Thank you bmw for helping me decide my next car. :thumbup:

I got my car back and I'll drive it to the ground. :)

Saintor
05-25-2008, 05:10 PM
There was no manual in the loaner. Next time I'll be sure to ask the SA how the car works. thanks for the advice.

All E90 have this otherwise you would see a big hole in the square key. You just weren't aware of it. Not obvious.

WINDonSKIN
05-25-2008, 05:25 PM
Wow, what a bummer, But could you imagine you or the mrs. trying to squeeze through a window if you were the size of the car seat? It does leave something for the imagination! Hope it all works out for you.

ChrisTO
05-25-2008, 09:45 PM
at first I figured you went to the wrong car and BMW proceeded to tow the wrong car back to the dealer.

but your story is way way funnier...as one poster said...sucks if that was me..but it wasn't...so :rofl: