PDA

View Full Version : Mclaren

AlexMPower
05-20-2008, 04:49 PM
Is that just me or do you gays know that the engine in mclaren F1 reads BMW M Power????

1985mb
05-20-2008, 05:17 PM
For a minute, I thought you meant the McLaren F1 team :rofl:

But yes, the late 1990's road car was powered by a BMW V12

AzNMpower32
05-20-2008, 05:27 PM
For a minute, I thought you meant the McLaren F1 team :rofl:
Well, last year they stole Ferrari's secrets. I guess it's BMW this year. :rofl:. Who knows? It'll be Toyota next year!

mistercindy
05-21-2008, 08:11 AM
Is that just me or do you gays know that the engine in mclaren F1 reads BMW M Power????
Not sure if I want to respond..... Maybe an edit is in order?:D

Bcube
05-21-2008, 09:43 AM

In the early nineties, Gordon Murray went to Honda first due to the Mclaren/Honda F1 team connection, but Honda declined. BMW showed interest and tried to meet the specs required by Murray; 250kg and 550 hp Naturally Aspirated. In the end, BMW couldn't meet the maximum weight spec - the S70/2 was 35lbs heavier - but output was an outstanding 627hp. Gordon decided the hp/weight ratio was acceptable and the rest is history. The Mclaren F1 was the fastest road production car for 11-12 years until the Veyron. And any real sport cars collector will flip a Veyron long before they will sale their Mclaren F1. Jay Leno has one - check out Jay Leno's garage.

1985mb
05-21-2008, 12:35 PM
At the time, this engine's power-to-displacement ratio was simply staggering for an NA engine

WAM
05-21-2008, 08:55 PM
In the early nineties, Gordon Murray went to Honda first due to the Mclaren/Honda F1 team connection, but Honda declined. BMW showed interest and tried to meet the specs required by Murray; 250kg and 550 hp Naturally Aspirated. In the end, BMW couldn't meet the maximum weight spec - the S70/2 was 35lbs heavier - but output was an outstanding 627hp. Gordon decided the hp/weight ratio was acceptable and the rest is history. The Mclaren F1 was the fastest road production car for 11-12 years until the Veyron. And any real sport cars collector will flip a Veyron long before they will sale their Mclaren F1. Jay Leno has one - check out Jay Leno's garage.

I had bought the Autocar book about the McLaren story, and in it Gordon Murray narrates how they only considered 3 companies as capable of building what they needed, Honda, BMW and Ferrari. Honda at the time was involved with Williams, McLaren were still running Tag engines in their F1 cars. Gordon had a past relationship with Paul Rosch of BMW during the Brabham days, so they approached him. Paul said he would build they engine. I think the dry weight Gordon wanted was 100kg, but normally aspirated. In the end the dry weight ended up at 111kg, but what an engine.

It had a huge exhaust muffler, which also served as a crush structure, so that paid for some weight penalty.

Found this little pdf: http://www.audiosignal.co.uk/Resources/McLarenF1.pdf

AlexMPower
05-24-2008, 01:24 PM
http://www.qv500.com/mclarenf1p3.php

When you look at the engine pictures, you can see the BMW MPower, on the engine! So even today Mclaren F1 runs on a BMW engine!!!!