PDA

View Full Version : S52 Engine Bore

Waldo
05-20-2008, 09:44 PM
I am in the process of replacing my S52 motor out of my 00' MCoupe 3.2L, and was wondering if I can bore the cylinder block to a larger one in order to achieve a bigger displacement.

Has anyone done it? what displacement was achieved? that are the benefits?

I am starting with a new S52 Block, my existing head is OK, it has TMS TMS/Conforti Performance Package Stage IV (Specially Programmed Conforti Software,Conforti "3.5 inch Euro" Cold-Air Intake Kit, HFM Adapter, TMS HP High-Flow Mass Air Meter, HFM Harness, Harness Mounting Bracket, 24LB Bosch Fuel Injectors, Schrick 264 Intake Camshaft, Schrick 256 Exhaust Camshaft).

Any suggestions will be deeply appreciated.

Thanks.

ffej
05-21-2008, 12:02 AM
I'm pretty sure the S52B32US block is as bored out as possible. there is very little material left in the cylinders to remove before you start to encroach on coolant areas.

e30e
05-21-2008, 05:49 PM
I'm pretty sure the S52B32US block is as bored out as possible. there is very little material left in the cylinders to remove before you start to encroach on coolant areas.

Same with crank's size. Its pretty maxed out. To go bigger displacement you need a v8. BMW used to have a sohc short and long blocks for larger/smaller displacement back in the 80's when they went to DOHC they just used one block. Once you gotten to about 3.2 liters you can't really stroke or bore anymore. Personally ridden in the AA stg. 2 supercharged e36 m3, I would lower your compression and go bigger head gasket and go that route if you want more power. Since your at max looking at 300 horse to the crank +/- some power, the stg. kit gives about 400 +/- to the crank and its very linear and still good for DD. Especially when you look at the money in parts you will be spending, I always wanted a bad ass n/a s52 but for the money its just better to go to boost. just my .02

Pinecone
05-27-2008, 07:06 AM
You an stoke the S52 a bit and pump it up to about 3.4L. That is it. And lots of money for a slight bit of displacement.

The Turner Stage IV kit is nice. We just had it installed on our 00 M Roadster. More info in the Z secion, including links to pictures of the entire process as done by Randy Forbes.