PDA

View Full Version : E36 M3 Clutch Slipping

danieleither
05-21-2008, 08:17 AM
I have a '96 M3 Evolution with SMG gearbox. The car is the 321BHP version and has done 84,000 Miles. The clutch is now slipping badly with anything more than half throttle once the engine is warmed up... I know this may sound like a silly question, but does this mean my clutch is knackered and in need of replacement?

If the car was a manual gearbox, then I would be almost certain that the clutch was knackered, but as it is the SMG version, I was wondering if it's possible that the SMG system may just need re-calibrating or adjusting, or perhaps there is a sensor fault? Is it possible that if the SMG system wasn't adjusted correctly, it could be failing to let the clutch out fully after engaging gears, thus when I give it some throttle it slips?

I would be grateful if anyone can advise me on this matter before I go and fork out 1000 for a new clutch at my local BMW garage... Thanks!

ffej
05-21-2008, 08:31 AM
I would say that, yes, your clutch is toast. If it were a problem with the gearbox itself, it would be more likely to cause the problem constantly, not just when the engine is warm.

Now, SMG is notoriously balky, so if there is a good shop with SMG experience, they would probably be able to diagnose it better than I can over the interntets. They might find the root of the problem and save you some money...

Good luck