PDA

View Full Version : HELP - water pump sheared - major damage in engine!

lindabodie
05-23-2008, 12:37 AM
Hi - calling all you techies out there.

My 1999 Z3 2000 (6 cylinder) had thermostat replacement. About 10 miles after the water pump shaft sheared releasing carnage in my engine and causing 900 damage. The garage say they did not touch the water pump in the replacement.

The water pump has now been tested and the manufacturer says it is likley to be a problem with the fan clutch.

Would the garage have to have removed the fan clutch to replace the thermostat?

If so, would it be possible that this may have caused the problem? I find it uncanny that this happened after getting the car back from the garage - they are claiming that nothing they did could have caused this.

Really hope you can clarify for me - I could do with the 900!

Linda

Bmwcat
05-23-2008, 11:12 AM
My 328's water pump failed and took out the fan and fan clutch too. My mechanic also installed a nice new serpentine belt. For 900 pounds your shop should have done everything. :dunno:

e36m34life
05-23-2008, 04:35 PM
Hi - calling all you techies out there.

My 1999 Z3 2000 (6 cylinder) had thermostat replacement. About 10 miles after the water pump shaft sheared releasing carnage in my engine and causing 900 damage. The garage say they did not touch the water pump in the replacement.

The water pump has now been tested and the manufacturer says it is likley to be a problem with the fan clutch.

Would the garage have to have removed the fan clutch to replace the thermostat?

If so, would it be possible that this may have caused the problem? I find it uncanny that this happened after getting the car back from the garage - they are claiming that nothing they did could have caused this.

Really hope you can clarify for me - I could do with the 900!

Linda

1. Yes, the fan clutch would have to be removed to replace the thermostat, BUT there is no way to screw up the install on the fan clutch. It's screw on, screw off, that simple. Them removing and installing the fan clutch has nothing to do with your water pump failing.

2. The only way the fan clutch could have been the cause of the water pump damage is if it had missing and/or broken fan blades, and even then, it wouldn't kill the water pump right away. Eventually the un-balanced vibrations and rotations would eat at the waterpump causing it to leak and eventually fail. So unless there are broken blades, the fan has nothing to do with the disenergrated pump.

3. Your water pump failed and broke apart because it was old and you had the old version of the pump which had the plastic impeller. Are you sure it is the shaft that sheared and not the impellar? What do you think happens to plastic that has been sitting in cold/very hot fluids cycled over and over again for years? Yes, it becomes brittle and breaks, which is what happened to you, and many others.

Do you know how long it has been since the water pump was replaced?