PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with these pics? Is the water hose?

yip88
05-23-2008, 08:22 PM
Hope all is well.

Got this coolant stains on the hose and the side of the expansion tank. See pics. The OBC shows coolant level is low so I refilled about a water bottle worth of the coolant. Is it the hose, the tank or something else? I don't see any coolant leak on the floor. The temperature gauage is always in the middle and the car doesn't seem to have a overheat problem. Should I worry about it? Any idea or help will be greatly appreicated.

:dunno:

fun2drive
05-27-2008, 05:50 AM
Couple of questions. Did you check the tightness of the hose clamps? Also is this a new condition meaning you have driven the car a long time and this just popped up or this has been going on?
From what I see it looks like you have a loose hose clamp on the reservoir or the bleed screw or rad cap is not tight. The crusty dried coolant is a sign that it is leaking there thus the suggest to check your hose clamps first...

yip88
05-28-2008, 12:09 AM
Probably has this condition for about few months, but more noticable as the low coolant warning came on. I plan to get the upper and lower hose and clamps replaced and also tighter the necessary items will see what happen. The coolant was replaced but not flushed about 3000 miles ago. I wish I have taken better pics on this, as the 2nd pic should show the coolant stain runs below the upper hose on the black plastic. Thanks so much for your help

Bruce
05-28-2008, 07:56 AM
How many miles? Other than flushing what has been done?

If you have 60k miles and have done nothing but flush it, you are living on borrowed time. Spend the $1k to replace the water pump, thermostat, thermostat housing (get aluminum not plastic), and radiator. Your wallet will thank me later as the chance of the radiator failing and warping the head is not insignificant on that car. The radiator should be changed every 50k as preventative maintenance IMO.

See the maintenance sticky on the previous page.