PDA

View Full Version : Service Alternative - Would you Take it Somewhere Else?

glowdex
05-24-2008, 03:33 PM
As I believe that a lot of information about the state of your car are stored in the key which an Authorised BMW Service can simply download that data into their computer, do you really have to take your bimmer to them? Or are there other service shops that can service your car just as good and still retain the warranty?

I always take mine to the dealership I bought it from because it's still under warranty and don't want any disputes if anything goes south.

klax
05-27-2008, 01:06 PM
You never have to take your car to the dealer if you don't want to. Some dealers even seem to guilt you into it. I bought my car new and I've never once taken it to the dealer for service for two reasons. One, I lived about 100 hundred miles from the closest dealer and I wasn't about to take several hours out my day for a simple oil change.
Two, as these cars are so easy to work on, I just decided to do all the maintenace myself.

There is nothing anywhere that says you have to take any new car to a dealer to have it serviced or maintain your warranty. Many independant BMW garages are just as good and in some cases better than the dealer.

glowdex
05-27-2008, 08:47 PM
I live in Sydney Australia.
Any one knows a number of independent BMW service?
I don't want to take it to just any like Ultratune, even if they have this MAA accreditation. I want one that has knowledge and equipment to service a BMW.

fastkevin
05-28-2008, 08:40 PM
I always take my cars to the dealer for service. I find they're more likely to overlook mods you may have on your car, and have got repairs "good-will'ed" when my vehicle was out of warranty. They like a customer that spends their own money there, as opposed to one that only comes in for warranty work.