PDA

View Full Version : Cool, look what I've got in the mail yesterday...

ALEX325i
02-23-2002, 12:17 PM
Maybe now I'll be able to come close to Al and Rip's results... ;)

Rip, thanks for all the tips! :thumb:

http://members.roadfly.com/mosal01/P2230001.JPG

AF
02-23-2002, 01:09 PM
Aren't you nervous about messing up the paint ??

That's what stops me from buying one of those

alee
02-23-2002, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Alan F

The Porter Cable is supposed to be so safe, even a total klutz (like me) can use it without worries.

I'm most likely getting one this spring. No point getting one right now.

ALEX325i
02-23-2002, 02:16 PM

No, not really. I read a lot about it on griotsgarage.com and it's gotta be safe... Richard Griot tested it on a multi-million dollar Ferrari... ;)

johnlew
02-23-2002, 03:05 PM
Did you buy it all from Griots or get the buffer from Coast Tool?

ALEX325i
02-23-2002, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by johnlew
Did you buy it all from Griots or get the buffer from Coast Tool?

Yup, I got the PC from Coastaltools and saved $84.00 in the process ;)

johnlew
02-23-2002, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by ALEX325i

Yup, I got the PC from Coastaltools and saved $84.00 in the process ;)

Did you get the Velcro backing plate from Coastal and the counterweight? You need it for the Griots red pads, right? I only see the stock 6" white foam plate that is not Velcro.

ALEX325i
02-23-2002, 06:33 PM

Did you get the Velcro backing plate from Coastal and the counterweight? You need it for the Griots red pads, right? I only see the stock 6" white foam plate that is not Velcro.

Hey John,

I only ordered that today... Actually, I have a question... Although I ordered the counterweight, why do I need a new one? I mean, a 6" white foam pad comes standard with the PC...

Anyway, I ordered that additional stuff today. I won't be having "fun" this weekend anyways. Today rained all day long and tomorrow I'll probably do a couple dives... ;)

Imola Ed
02-23-2002, 07:40 PM
Although I ordered the counterweight, why do I need a new one? I mean, a 6" white foam pad comes standard with the PC...

I was just looking at Coastal Tool's site and they say it's because the pad they give you is light enough such that it doesn't make a difference which counterweight you use. I was, of course, looking because I might want to pick one of these up myself after all the disussion here and in the other threads :D

johnlew
02-23-2002, 09:32 PM

Hey John,

I only ordered that today... Actually, I have a question... Although I ordered the counterweight, why do I need a new one? I mean, a 6" white foam pad comes standard with the PC...

Anyway, I ordered that additional stuff today. I won't be having "fun" this weekend anyways. Today rained all day long and tomorrow I'll probably do a couple dives... ;)

You need it because the velcro backing pad is apparently heavier and needs the counterweight. Will give you longer life. For the $1.95 or whatever, get it. I think the Coastal site explains the need for it.

AF
02-23-2002, 09:46 PM
How much does that cost ?

Sean
02-23-2002, 10:01 PM
Did you just bought the orange polish pads? What about the red wax pads? What are you going to use for polish and wax? :dunno: Just curious. I still haven't convinced myself to order a PC yet.

ALEX325i
02-23-2002, 10:14 PM
How much does that cost ?

Hey Alan,

$121.00 (including S&H) at Coastaltools.com. They're in CT, so it won't take long to have it delivered... :thumb:

Oh, and before I forget (again), you'll need a velcro backing plate and the 6" counterweight, because you wanna use 6" foam pads (see the orange ones I got from Griot's Garage) to polish your car... You can get the velcro backing plate and counterweight from Coastaltools as well.

ALEX325i
02-23-2002, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Sean
Did you just bought the orange polish pads? What about the red wax pads? What are you going to use for polish and wax? :dunno: Just curious. I still haven't convinced myself to order a PC yet.

Yes. Got'em from Griot's. Won't be needing the red ones, because I use Zaino (Z5 & Z2 replace wax) :thumb:

AF
02-23-2002, 10:20 PM

Hey Alan,

$121.00 (including S&H) at Coastaltools.com. They're in CT, so it won't take long to have it delivered... :thumb:

Oh, and before I forget (again), you'll need a velcro backing plate and the 6" counterweight, because you wanna use 6" foam pads (see the orange ones I got from Griot's Garage) to polish your car... You can get the velcro backing plate and counterweight from Coastaltools as well.

thanks for the info Alex . . . email when you first use it and let me know how you like it !!

ALEX325i
02-23-2002, 10:57 PM

thanks for the info Alex . . . email when you first use it and let me know how you like it !!

Will do. :thumb:

johnlew
02-23-2002, 11:14 PM
Check out the Coastal Tool hook and loop (Velcro) backing pad HERE (http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/port/pads.htm?L+coastest+fkhz9418ff229922+1014598762)

Sean
02-23-2002, 11:25 PM
I just thought of this. I like to use One Grand Blitz Wax and it's a paste wax. It would be a little difficilt to apply with a PC.

johnlew
02-23-2002, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Sean
I just thought of this. I like to use One Grand Blitz Wax and it's a paste wax. It would be a little difficilt to apply with a PC.

I thought about that too, but maybe you could swipe the velcro applicator on the wax and then pop back on the buffer and wax. Many users of Porter like Griots Best of Show liquid wax.

Mike 325xi
02-24-2002, 05:05 AM
Originally posted by alee

The Porter Cable is supposed to be so safe, even a total klutz (like me) can use it without worries.

I'm most likely getting one this spring. No point getting one right now.
I'm not worried about you burning the paint Al, I know the PC is safe, so Alan F.'s fears are not needed...:thumb:

What I am worried about is:

1) You will drop the PC on your car while using it.
2) While running to your car to use it the first day, in your excitement, you will trip and send the PC flying into the side of the car.
3) Since you are only 4 ' 9" and probably weigh about 60 lbs. soaking wet, and the heaviest thing you have pushed in the last 5 years has been your mouse, the PC will stay stationary on the car and send you spinning off into the parking lot.
4) You will become so addicted to the sexual thrill of the spinning and vibrating of the PC, a thrill that only a true sicko like you would get, that you will be Zainoing up your body and using it on yourself :yikes:
5) That because of #4 above, Ann will be so neglected that she will have to buy a "power tool" of equal ferocity for herself, if you know what I mean.

I worry about you Al :dunno:

AF
02-24-2002, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by Mike 325xi

I'm not worried about you burning the paint Al, I know the PC is safe, so Alan F.'s fears are not needed...:thumb:

ROFLMAO . . . Mike, reasons #1 through #3 are so freakin funny

You are so witty bro !!!

ALEX325i
02-24-2002, 08:57 AM

2) While running to your car to use it the first day, in your excitement, you will trip and send the PC flying into the side of the car.
3) Since you are only 4 ' 9" and probably weigh about 60 lbs. soaking wet, and the heaviest thing you have pushed in the last 5 years has been your mouse, the PC will stay stationary on the car and send you spinning off into the parking lot.
4) You will become so addicted to the sexual thrill of the spinning and vibrating of the PC, a thrill that only a true sicko like you would get, that you will be Zainoing up your body and using it on yourself :yikes:
5) That because of #4 above, Ann will be so neglected that she will have to buy a "power tool" of equal ferocity for herself, if you know what I mean.

Al, no offense Bro, but :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Mike 325xi
02-24-2002, 08:57 AM

ROFLMAO . . . Mike, reasons #1 through #3 are so freakin funny

You are so witty bro !!!
I kind of like #5...but I guess that's just my twisted mind!! :D :angel:

BayDetailz
02-24-2002, 03:48 PM
Congrats on your recieve of the product and the buffer. One suggestion would be, even though Groit's used that buffer to buff a million dollar car, does not mean you can do it. He is a professional. Good luck

johnlew
02-24-2002, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by BayDetailz
Congrats on your recieve of the product and the buffer. One suggestion would be, even though Groit's used that buffer to buff a million dollar car, does not mean you can do it. He is a professional. Good luck

How's THAT for a confidence builder? :(

Start out on less conspicuous areas to get a feel for the equipment and polishes. Better yet, if you have another, less desirable car, use it as your test car. :thumb:

ALEX325i
02-24-2002, 05:07 PM

How's THAT for a confidence builder? :(

Start out on less conspicuous areas to get a feel for the equipment and polishes. Better yet, if you have another, less desireable car, use it as your test car. :thumb:

Yup... How's THAT for a confidence builder? :(

No doubt. The 325i will be my guinea pig... :yikes:

alee
02-24-2002, 06:33 PM
This is what I get for not hanging out here... :tsk: :tsk:

AF
02-24-2002, 07:21 PM

too bad you don't have the Audi anymore or you could have used that as the Guinea pig ;)

johnlew
02-24-2002, 07:50 PM

I have not used the porter orbital but have extensively used a standard buffer. The main tip I will give you is to be careful of edges and ridges. In addition to being raised and digging deeper into the pad there is actually less material on them since more paint flows off an edge than flat surface. Also, keep the pad clean and don't let the polish material build up or cake. I suppose in the learning phase, I'd start with a lower cutting polish or maybe just wax to get a feel for things. Just my .02 cents :) I doubt you'll have a problem.

ALEX325i
02-24-2002, 08:37 PM
Thanks John! :thumb:

Please, feel free to throw in another .20! :D

I have not used the porter orbital but have extensively used a standard buffer. The main tip I will give you is to be careful of edges and ridges. In addition to being raised and digging deeper into the pad there is actually less material on them since more paint flows off an edge than flat surface. Also, keep the pad clean and don't let the polish material build up or cake. I suppose in the learning phase, I'd start with a lower cutting polish or maybe just wax to get a feel for things. Just my .02 cents :) I doubt you'll have a problem.

Dr. Phil
02-25-2002, 05:45 AM

:lmao:

I bet #5 may already be a reality:D

Mike 325xi
02-25-2002, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by PM 325xiT

:lmao:

I bet #5 may already be a reality:D
I have no doubts at all...:D

Dr. Phil
02-25-2002, 05:52 AM

I have no doubts at all...:D
And I'm sure that is one thing Al won't share pics of:yikes:

Mike 325xi
02-25-2002, 05:56 AM

And I'm sure that is one thing Al won't share pics of:yikes:
I'll bet he has step by step DIY instructions :D

Dr. Phil
02-25-2002, 06:02 AM

I'll bet he has step by step DIY instructions :D
I'm sure Ann had to help write them though:rolleyes: :D :dunno:

Mike 325xi
02-25-2002, 06:03 AM

I'm sure Ann had to help write them though:rolleyes: :D :dunno:
Well he is a little unfamiliar with the territory...so to speak :dunno:

Guest84
02-25-2002, 06:57 AM
My previous experience with buffers were with non-orbital, now THOSE you could have a real problem with (Heat build up, high ridges as John mentioned, are the culprits) Random orbitals I wouldn't concern yourself with. I went right to it on the hood lid of my jet black finish with excellent results. Use the right polish, keep the pads extremely clean (Don't set the pad/porter cable down on a dirty surface during useZ) will give you pro results the first time you use it.

I read one story of a fellow that was *****ing about his new Porter Cable and how it ruined his brand new finish...turns out he used RUBBING COMPOUND instead of a finer polish for his new finish! :eek: