PDA

View Full Version : X5 trunk comparison

Emission
05-11-2003, 11:42 PM
It's not as small as the rumors lead you to believe!

For comparison, here is my R/C Aircraft with a 48" wingspan in the trunk of my X5. The post below this is the same model, in the trunk of my '02 VW Passat - a family sedan with a generous trunk.

You'll notice the plane barely fits in both trunks, in a slightly different manner. The X5 is wider and shallower, while the Passat is narrow and deep. In all honesty, the shallow trunk (X5) is more useable!

Note: I've got a WeatherTech mat in the back, and the BMW Cargo Net too - both great for hauling dirt, dogs, and whatever.

Emission
05-11-2003, 11:43 PM
Here is the same airplane, in the trunk of the '02 VW Passat...

batm4n
05-12-2003, 05:31 AM
Where'd you get those flashlight clips? Do they just mount with self tapping screws?

Driver8
05-12-2003, 08:24 AM
Our Audis have big trunk space. My A6 had a HUGE trunk and our S4 even has a roomy trunk for its size. I'd actually trade a little trunk space for a bit more rear seat room in the S4.

·clyde·
05-12-2003, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Emission
In all honesty, the shallow trunk (X5) is more useable!

One of the things that I have had no choice but to listen to over the past year was a co-wrokers couch purchase saga (that lasted about 8 months). The hallway outside her place was large enough to accomodate the couch as was her living room. The question was whether it would fit through the doorway from the hallway into her living room. You see, the narrowest dimension of the couch was about 1.5" smaller than the doorway. (Thankfully, it fit...I'm not sure I could have taken another 8 months of stories about another couch. :rolleyes: )

Unfettered access through a hatch, liftgate, etc will make any cargo area feel more useable than a trunk. Volume doesn't matter if you can't fit the object through the opening.

Emission
05-12-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by batm4n
Where'd you get those flashlight clips? Do they just mount with self tapping screws?

It's a MAG Light with their mounting clips. I use sheet metal screws (4) into the carpeted panel access door. When I sell the car, I pull the screws and the clips and the holes disappear!

Try a store that has a large assortment of MAG Light products, they'll have the clips.

NOTE: I mounted my flashlight down to protect the lens.

Raffi
05-23-2003, 02:18 AM
Fry's Electronics carries the flashlight holders.

SupraRZ
06-01-2003, 01:09 AM
Hmm, that X5 trunk looks bigger than I remember it being. But then it had a retractable load floor. But damn your car is clean :)