PDA

View Full Version : X5 Negative Rear Camber

Emission
05-11-2003, 10:50 PM
This is a picture of the mark the left rear tire of our X5 left on my tile floor just after it was waxed. I didn't think much of it, until I compared it to the mark from the front tire.

Look how much more negative camber the rear wheels have! The contact patch is completely different. It will be interesting to see how the different tires wear.

Emission
05-11-2003, 10:51 PM
This is the mark on the tile from the front tire. Look how symmetrical it is compared to the rear (above).

Driver8
05-12-2003, 07:42 AM
I too noticed the negative rear camber on my X5 after following it home one evening in my wife's car. It's pretty extreme!

I saw on another board post recently that the BMW-recommended tire pressure of 32F/32R could be reduced to 29.5F/31R or even 30F/30R to allow more of the tire's contact patch to be transmitted to the road surface.

With the price of tires, I'm all for prolonging them as much as possible! Against BMW recommendations, I rotate them side to side (not front to rear as I have the staggered wheels) to get maximum tire wear. I've had no problems with this so far on my X5 nor did I have any on my prior 528i.

Emission
05-12-2003, 09:27 AM
I rotate all around (again, against BMW's suggestions). Tires aren't cheap!

I've been running 35/35 - a bit firm, but tire wear is nearly non-existant. I've also got the non-sport wheel/tire combo.

Raffi
05-23-2003, 01:23 AM
Take the X5 to the track! :D :bigpimp:

Emission
05-23-2003, 06:11 AM
Funny thing, the X5 will dust my Passat on an onramp, even though it has an easy 1000 pounds more steel to haul around. It just handles so much better - with the base suspension too!

That said, the 3.0 engine is great around town, but would suck coming out of a hairpin on a track. If I had the 4.4 maybe...

X5Z8
10-03-2008, 08:14 AM
Hello All, Question, can the neg camber of the X5's rear wheels be adjusted and how? I just had a blowout on my RR and I thought the tires still had another 5000 miles on them. But the inside cord's were showing & never saw it, bad. Tires had just turned 30,000 miles.
Bought 2 new rears at $315 ea @ Tire Kingdom yesterday as Braman WPB Fl. dealer wanted $425 each!!

Emission
10-03-2008, 08:27 AM
Hello All, Question, can the neg camber of the X5's rear wheels be adjusted and how? I just had a blowout on my RR and I thought the tires still had another 5000 miles on them. But the inside cord's were showing & never saw it, bad. Tires had just turned 30,000 miles.
Bought 2 new rears at $315 ea @ Tire Kingdom yesterday as Braman WPB Fl. dealer wanted $425 each!!

The aggressive negative camber is what gives the X5 its excellent handling. If you got 30,000 miles from them... that is pretty impressive (my previous Volvo XC90 would get 15,000 from a set of tires!).

- Mike

stdavis1159
10-03-2008, 02:06 PM
I have a lot of experience with this. I took all the negative camber out of the rear and started running the 18inch winter wheel set. I gave up all the cornering performance to get the smoother, longer even wear and much quiter ride from the 18inch set.

Now that I have run them for a while I can really tell the difference. The problem is I have a 4.8is and can't push it through the corners any more, without a lot of slop.

When I go back to the 20inch tires with new shoes next spring, I think I will put the neg camber back and try running with the lower pressure.

Don't have all the windshield time on the hiway any more, so rotating side to side on the 20's and keeping the pressure low with the neg cam may be the way to go.
Beside the performance on the 18's you also give up the nice squatty beefy look that I love so much with the 20's

autoque
10-03-2008, 04:11 PM
Hello All, Question, can the neg camber of the X5's rear wheels be adjusted and how?

I think 4-wheel alignment should solve your problem.

I would have 0 camber for that perfect looking wear!:thumbup:

autoque
10-03-2008, 04:13 PM
Now that I have run them for a while I can really tell the difference. The problem is I have a 4.8is and can't push it through the corners any more, without a lot of slop.

How are they different in handling and ride? Does the 0 camber give you more comfortable ride than negative camber? Pros/Cons?

cnterline
10-11-2008, 02:17 PM
you also have to check the rear, upper rear control arms for play where they bolt to the spindle,they go bad and cause more neg setting causing tire wear on inside

MotoBMW
10-27-2008, 08:03 PM
I have a lot of experience with this. I took all the negative camber out of the rear and started running the 18inch winter wheel set. I gave up all the cornering performance to get the smoother, longer even wear and much quiter ride from the 18inch set.

When I go back to the 20inch tires with new shoes next spring, I think I will put the neg camber back and try running with the lower pressure.

Don't have all the windshield time on the hiway any more, so rotating side to side on the 20's and keeping the pressure low with the neg cam may be the way to go.
Beside the performance on the 18's you also give up the nice squatty beefy look that I love so much with the 20's

If you don't mind me asking, how did you make a camber adjustment on this chassis?

omodos
01-09-2010, 11:57 AM

How did you get 0 camber mine is at bets -01.77 degrees the mechanic cannot force the eccentric bolt any further

micliu
03-18-2010, 10:26 AM
Ditto on the previous 2 posts, do we need to buy after market camber arms in the rear to make them match the 0 in the front or do we only need to get an alignment with the stock camber arms?

Damn, didn't notice first post was from 2003... sorry...

ard
03-18-2010, 08:34 PM
The poster that said he did this has never returned... I don't think it is possible, but certainly not advisable. Take all the TOE out of the rear to minimize wear- some camber is fine.