PDA

View Full Version : For those of you thinking about ordering your car with Navi...

maande10
05-27-2008, 06:56 PM
... think about what it'll look like in 5-10 years. This is from a 2000 M5.
http://carad.ebayimg.com/i23/03/a/000/78/6f/3341_4.JPG
Looks pretty primitive, doesn't it?

Some might use the "but I'm leasing" argument and that's fine. But if you're one of those people who doesn't treat cars like disposable commodities, and plans to keep it for a long time, you're probably better off ordering without the built-in navigation system. You'll thank yourself when you see the new 2017 BMW M5 that comes with a 3D holographic, TangibleTouch(TM) navigation and espresso machine with a Mr. Fusion garbage disposal, and you're not staring at a humpy screen on your 3-series dash that looks like a tacky Christmas tree ornament.

philorock
05-27-2008, 07:53 PM
your comments really made me laugh. how true!!

thanks

KrisL
05-27-2008, 08:07 PM
This is what my 2003 330i looks like.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2232/2057573303_91fc7bd7bc.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2181/2057571633_a36c513307.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2016/2057569743_6332e6e9b6.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2274/2059504911_a0b7e7fd85.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2052/2059504725_0545c7327a.jpg?v=0

Pic from the reverse camera...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2406/2058355596_4ccbdadde2.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2197/2059538365_af006f9dc2.jpg?v=0

It's obvious that there is a lot of innovation that happens within the first few years of a technology... but then it begins to slow. The change form 2003 to present (5 years) is far less than the changes from 2000 to 2003.

erdoran
05-28-2008, 05:03 PM
Kris, how did you get bimmerfest onto your navi????

KrisL
05-28-2008, 05:11 PM
Kris, how did you get bimmerfest onto your navi????

It's not the web page, it's just a creative pic I took that I can post when someone should be searching the forum/wiki. I tagged an MP3 with the appropriate text and loaded it into my iPod. What you're seeing is my Intravee iPod adapter showing the song name, artist, title.

erdoran
05-28-2008, 05:22 PM
And here I had dreams of hooking up wireless Internet to my Z4 navi even though you aren't supposed to be able to do it! I should have looked more carefully!

KrisL
05-28-2008, 05:33 PM
And here I had dreams of hooking up wireless Internet to my Z4 navi even though you aren't supposed to be able to do it! I should have looked more carefully!

Well, the Top Gear screen shots you're seeing are coming from a CarPC in the trunk. I've removed it now (didn't use it much) but it worked fine. Totally hidden on top of the spare tire under the trunk floor in a docking station. It was an IBM Thinkpad T42. It has S-Video out, which I converted to RCA, which connected to the nav via a europeanautosource.com video source module. I had a USB to iBus adapter which allowed me to control CarX software (http://www.bmwpc.de/portal/index.php) via the navigation control knob.

I had a relay, an inverter, and a constant-to-momentary switch that hit the power button on the laptop when I turned on the car. The laptop was set to go to sleep after being "unplugged" for 15 minutes. I also had a script running to sync the music and movie folder whenever it discovered my wireless network... which would have been whenever I pulled into the garage in the evening.

You could easily use a bluetooth keyboard/mouse and an EVDO/Data card to get full internet access/web browsing/etc.

They don't call me the ubergeek for nothin. :)

AzNMpower32
05-28-2008, 05:36 PM
... think about what it'll look like in 5-10 years. This is from a 2000 M5.
... and you're not staring at a humpy screen on your 3-series dash that looks like a tacky Christmas tree ornament.
That's pretty high tech for me. Then again, I still can't master (or understand) the concept of text messaging. And I don't have an iPod.

I'll stick with my maps, thank you very much. :thumbup:

erdoran
05-28-2008, 06:45 PM
Thank you! Hmmm....I would assume the navi screen would function as a monitor, and I guess the CarX software integrates the display with the rest of the display choices? More idle techie curiousity than anything else, no point in me doing it because I'd be driving anyway and if I cared that much I'd buy internet for my treo.

How about another geeky question? Why can't I use bluetooth to stream the audio from my treo? More of a theoretical question, because again, if I cared that much I'd just use a cable and hook it up into my Aux in port, it's just something I was wondering about. The other theoretical aspect is that my treo doesn't integrate well with the Z4 bluetooth implementation. I got them to pair, but hanging up the phone reboots the treo--I know that's gotta be something in the software, in that the hang-up signal is misinterpreted by the treo as a reboot or reset, and it's well beyond my expertise to troubleshoot it, especialliy when I could get a free Razr that paired flawlessly.

KrisL
05-28-2008, 06:50 PM
Thank you! Hmmm....I would assume the navi screen would function as a monitor, and I guess the CarX software integrates the display with the rest of the display choices? More idle techie curiousity than anything else, no point in me doing it because I'd be driving anyway and if I cared that much I'd buy internet for my treo.

How about another geeky question? Why can't I use bluetooth to stream the audio from my treo? More of a theoretical question, because again, if I cared that much I'd just use a cable and hook it up into my Aux in port, it's just something I was wondering about. The other theoretical aspect is that my treo doesn't integrate well with the Z4 bluetooth implementation. I got them to pair, but hanging up the phone reboots the treo--I know that's gotta be something in the software, in that the hang-up signal is misinterpreted by the treo as a reboot or reset, and it's well beyond my expertise to troubleshoot it, especialliy when I could get a free Razr that paired flawlessly.

Yes, nav screen is simply a monitor and CarX is simple PC software that is a multimedia menuing system made to look like the nav menu.

Neither your Treo's bluetooth stack nor the BMW bluetooth system allow for streaming music.

Try updating your Treo to the latest firmware to help bluetooth problems.

erdoran
05-28-2008, 06:59 PM
Yes, I had updated the Treo. That allowed it to pair but didn't fix the reboot problem when I hung up. I gave it a day and got fed up. The address book didn't transfer, which was ok and expected based on other postings--I could live with that--but the reboot thing got ridiculous, and I was concerned it would damage the treo if it continued. Is there a fix for that? I've heard that either your treo works or it doesn't once you install the update; I haven't heard about any other fixes, but I have to admit I got frustrated and didn't care to waste any more time on this. I'd much rather continue to use the treo!

KrisL
05-28-2008, 07:03 PM
Yes, I had updated the Treo. That allowed it to pair but didn't fix the reboot problem when I hung up. I gave it a day and got fed up. The address book didn't transfer, which was ok and expected based on other postings--I could live with that--but the reboot thing got ridiculous, and I was concerned it would damage the treo if it continued. Is there a fix for that? I've heard that either your treo works or it doesn't once you install the update; I haven't heard about any other fixes, but I have to admit I got frustrated and didn't care to waste any more time on this. I'd much rather continue to use the treo!

If you're running the latest firmware and hotfixes from palm, next thing I'd try is a hard reset.

Heracles
05-31-2008, 12:35 PM
How is the Quality in the 2006 and up nav screens?

captainaudio
05-31-2008, 03:25 PM
How is the Quality in the 2006 and up nav screens?

Here is the NAV system frommy 1974 Chrysler Cordoba

http://www.beiswenger.com/beiswenger/resume/probe.jpg

It still works perfectly except the maps are a bit outdated (for instance they show Arizona as a "territory")

Klamalama
05-31-2008, 07:05 PM
Here is the NAV system frommy 1974 Chrysler Cordoba

http://www.beiswenger.com/beiswenger/resume/probe.jpg

It still works perfectly except the maps are a bit outdated (for instance they show Arizona as a "territory")

Yes, but does your Cordoba have Corinthian Leather?

philippek
05-31-2008, 07:13 PM
So you're saying that one should skip a major comfort/convenience feature because of the buyers remorse that will set in in about 10 years?

:confused:

captainaudio
05-31-2008, 08:30 PM
Yes, but does your Cordoba have Corinthian Leather?

Actually it has Rich Corinthian Leatherette.

http://barkbarkwoofwoof.blogspot.com/uploaded_images/640_1976ChryslerCordobaSportCoupe-730739.jpg

Bart001
06-02-2008, 12:17 PM
You'll thank yourself when you see the new 2017 BMW M5 that comes with a 3D holographic, TangibleTouch(TM) navigation and espresso machine with a Mr. Fusion garbage disposal, and you're not staring at a humpy screen on your 3-series dash that looks like a tacky Christmas tree ornament.

So are you going to buy that '17 or not?

If yes -- then you suffered nothing by getting nav. in your '08. At least you had it to use for the preceding 9 years.

If no -- well you won't be getting that one anyway, so what difference does it make if your current ride has an old nav system, or none?

Are you posting from a computer you own? If so, I have no idea why you bought one, when in 5 years such faster computers will be commonplace . . .

I don't get your point, I guess.

maldoror
06-02-2008, 06:57 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2197/2059538365_af006f9dc2.jpg?v=0

It's obvious that there is a lot of innovation that happens within the first few years of a technology... but then it begins to slow. The change form 2003 to present (5 years) is far less than the changes from 2000 to 2003.

The GPS maps on your 2003 nav still look dated though. GPSs move fast in terms of technology. A GPS is one thing that makes sense to buy after-market. A standalone unit is much less expensive, will have the latest features, and is easily upgradeable five or six times for what the in-dash unit costs.

adgrant
06-03-2008, 12:26 PM
The GPS maps on your 2003 nav still look dated though. GPSs move fast in terms of technology. A GPS is one thing that makes sense to buy after-market. A standalone unit is much less expensive, will have the latest features, and is easily upgradeable five or six times for what the in-dash unit costs.

It just won't work as well as the in-dash unit. I am not sure why I should care what the screen looks like as long as it provides me with the information to get to my destination.

I don't own a car anymore but when I did I never kept one more than about 5 years. Lifes too short to drive the same car for 10 years and the repair bills on a 10yr old BMW would aggravate me.

Speaking of which, I am finding my Garmin standalone very aggravating after using various in-dash BMW units for the last seven years or so. Unfortunately, rental cars don't seem to come with in-dash NAV, not even the E60s with IDrive I rent from zipcar.

mistercindy
06-05-2008, 06:11 AM
I totally agree with you. The NAV system is largely redundant in that the majority of its functions can done elsewhere on your car's traditional and ergonomincally placed controls (ie., sound system, heat & A/C, etc...). The big exception, of course, is the GPS. But for a small fraction of the $2,400 for the NAV option you can buy a superb Garmin handheld device that can be used anywhere. You can use it in any car, motorcycle, bicycle, while hiking, etc... The Garmin's updated maps are cheaper and more often and easily available. The Garmin can interface with your computer to create maps, email maps, log in directions, upload places you've been to so you can send it to others via email or post on forums, etc... Its far more useful at a fraction of the price. As for me, I intend to pay off and drive my new 328i coupe for 8-10 years and I have no desire to have some outdated screen sticking out of an otherwise simple and elegant dash.

adgrant
06-05-2008, 08:04 PM
I totally agree with you. The NAV system is largely redundant in that the majority of its functions can done elsewhere on your car's traditional and ergonomincally placed controls (ie., sound system, heat & A/C, etc...). The big exception, of course, is the GPS. But for a small fraction of the $2,400 for the NAV option you can buy a superb Garmin handheld device that can be used anywhere. You can use it in any car, motorcycle, bicycle, while hiking, etc... The Garmin's updated maps are cheaper and more often and easily available. The Garmin can interface with your computer to create maps, email maps, log in directions, upload places you've been to so you can send it to others via email or post on forums, etc... Its far more useful at a fraction of the price. As for me, I intend to pay off and drive my new 328i coupe for 8-10 years and I have no desire to have some outdated screen sticking out of an otherwise simple and elegant dash.

So much incorrect information in the post above.

1) The Nav is $2100 not $2,400 and it works quite a bit better than the Garmin units.
2) The Garmin Nuvis aren't too convenient for bicycling or hiking (Garmin does make a unit for cycling though.
3) There are plenty of non-NAV functions that work better with the IDrive such as Bluetooth phone integration, IPod integration and changing car settings.
4) The dash may be simple, but its not elegant. The last BMW with an elegant dash was the E46.

Also if you plan to drive your BMW for three years, get ready for some hefty repair bills.